Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands first surfpark?

Options
  • 06-01-2010 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

i was in lahinch over the christmas and many of the surfers down there were talking about a planning application recently submitted to construct some form of surf park (or "surf city" as it has been called) down the coast from lahinch town
    details were sketchy however
    has anyone heard anything about this?
    presumably its something along the lines of a Ron Jon surfpark? that would be a serious investment for any consortium but would definately help position Ireland as the surf capital of europe in my opinion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I think someone might be pulling someones leg here. When was the application lodged, highly unlikely that something like this would not have had media exposure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

i'm not entirely too sure about that
    a friend of mine has worked with the surf school there for a while and she was aware of developments
    as far as i understand it is at the very early stages of development
    it includes indoor simulators and some form of outdoor surf pool - presumably using the atlantic waves
    i'll see if i can find more details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Engineering perspective..not a hope of building a pool and using the atlantic for waves! same idea as this I would imagine. http://www.siampark.net/en/Surf.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

now admittedly this was being discussed over a few pints but from what i gather the application involves an indoor facility but the major attraction is some sort of surf facility that is built on the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

No record of anything remotely like this being lodged with Clare County Council in the past month / six weeks. Anymore details would be interesting.

If it is local surfers you were talking to, pm me their names, I would know most of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

I think there was a post on this site about this 6 months ago. Everyone got a great laugh out of it.

Do a search and I am sure you will find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I can't imagine anything being built on Lahinch beach that wouldn't be pounded to bits by Atlantic storms. An indoor simulator/whatever might be plausible though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 eiresurfer

There was certainly some talk a while ago about building a some sort of surf club building. I can't quite remember most of the details, but I know it would have included hot showers, storage lockers, that sort of thing. Perhaps this is what you heard about. It would certainly be most welcome anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

a communal changing place or even a hot power wash to warm the bones would be very welcome down there!! I can't imagine getting out of a wetsuit yesterday with that cold breeze!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Freckleina

potsy11 wrote: »
    I think there was a post on this site about this 6 months ago. Everyone got a great laugh out of it.

Do a search and I am sure you will find it.

I remember this aswell. The guy was talking about putting a pull-chain under the water that you'd hold onto and it would pull you out back!

Didnt get a favourable response for obvious reasons:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Shane_O

Maybe an indoor simulator or wave pool/machine would be good but nothing like what that guy was describing.From what i saw in that thread no way anything proposed close to what he was saying would ever be considered but maybe something more serious/productive and non environmentally threatening is something which could be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mr board

surf park? come on! thats ridiculous!

why would you try and mimic the Atlantic Ocean like that?

Being in the ocean, with its rips, rogue waves, cold water, pissing rain, howling wind is what its all about!

Advertisement