Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive condensation, pls help!

Options
  • 06-01-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Morning all,

I'm hoping someone can give me a bit of help with this, as the title says i've lots of condensation on the inside of my windows, to the point that there's puddles on my window sills, have destroyed many pairs of curtains at this stage :(

is there anything i can do - apart from leaving towels on my window sills!!

any suggestions would be great...

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Where is the water coming from?
    Do you have lots of potted plants or are you drying clothes indoors- that might be adding to the water in the air?
    Are the windows single or double glazed?
    Have you tried a dehumidifier- mine removes 16 litres of moisture from inside the apartment every day (while I do have lots of potted plants- they certainly aren't getting this amount of water......)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Little Miss!

all the windows in my apartment are cover with condensation and have puddles on the sills, i've only 2 plants in the whole apartment (not exactly green-fingered!), i very rarely dry clothes on a clothes horse in the living room but that window seems to be the least effected anyway! The 2 bedrooms are the worst, i'm constantly wiping up the mess and washing curtains!

Would it be possible to borrow a dehumidifier and see if it helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Little Miss!

yeh i might see if anyone i know has one i can borrow. what do u do with it, i mean do u leave it running all the time or where do u put it?

thanks a mil for the replies :)

I just have it running in the hallway- the one I have has 8 litre reservoir- so I empty it a few times a day.

If you can borrow one- give it a try and see what happens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭biblio

Hi OP,
    By any chance do you have a superser or similar gas heater operating in the building? as these release a lot of water vapour causing condensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Some reading for you --

http://www.diydata.com/problem/condensation/condensation.php

http://www.sunrisewindows.com/condensation.html

There are many ways to reduce/limit condensation, and good ventilation is also key.

Advertisement