Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike Parking in Dublin City Centre

• 06-01-2010 10:52am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,492 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else sick of the lack of official motorbike parking in city centre?

I saw mention that there is a big initiative on to get loads of official bicycle parking all over the place, but no mention of motorcycles.

Check out this parking spot!

http://www.dublincycling.ie/node/439

You can create new locations to 'vote' for in order to persuade Dublin City Council to install new bike racks. There has been one created for a Motorcycle parking bay, vote for it and get it to the top of their list so we can see if it gets any attention!

http://dublincitycycling.ie/cyclerack/278

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I presume this will only become more of a highlighted issue when/if DCC start to prosecute motorcyclists for parking on the path, but I voted anyway to highlight the issue.

5 You voted for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I'm not going to vote, I park on the path outside work, I only have to walk 14 steps to the front door of my building, if they make specific motorcycle bays there'll be a good chance i'll have to park in one and walk a mile or be clamped. No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

imo, official parking'll cause more harm then good... one stop shop for thievery, and more enforcement of existing parking laws (not allowed on paths etc). That, and I highly doubt they'd be free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

nereid wrote: »
    I presume this will only become more of a highlighted issue when/if DCC start to prosecute motorcyclists for parking on the path, but I voted anyway to highlight the issue.

5 You voted for this!

Look, it's legal once there's no obstruction. That's according to a parking warden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Look, it's legal once there's no obstruction. That's according to a parking warden.

I've read an awful lot to the contrary.. Thought the general concensus was to park considerately and you wont be bothered, but parking cars/bikes on the paths has never been legal afaik

I know you'll instantly fail your driving test if you even touch a kerb at any point during it for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Do you think a cycling lobby group is going to put pressure on the council for motorcycle parking?

No it's not, and that's according to the Gardai.

Whether a blind eye is turned to it is another matter. At present this is the case, and my personal opinion like Wossak is to leave well enough alone for the time being. My only support for such an effort would be if the blind eye policy is over turned because of idiotic path parking by motorcyclists.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Do you think a cycling lobby group is going to put pressure on the council for motorcycle parking?

As a cyclist who has no time for those lobby groups, I presume they are laughing their Hybrid socks off at the idea. Sure we're (motorcyclists) the ones who scare them poor angels by driving in their cycle and bus lanes (where they exist)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

jameshayes wrote: »
    I'm not going to vote, I park on the path outside work, I only have to walk 14 steps to the front door of my building, if they make specific motorcycle bays there'll be a good chance i'll have to park in one and walk a mile or be clamped. No thanks.

Yeah, it's grand the way it is. There were a few motorcycle parking spots arount the city and they didn't even have anything to lock your bike to!
    I love being able to park anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have yet to get a parking ticket for a motorbike in the city. Even on O'Connell St Medium you can get away with it because they removed the official bike park on Prince St beside and replaced it with a DB JC Decaux drop off point. I prefere to anchor it to something.

If im leaving my bike over night I leave it well locked outside Pearse St cop station

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I have yet to get a parking ticket for a motorbike in the city. Even on O'Connell St Medium you can get away with it because they removed the official bike park on Prince St beside and replaced it with a DB JC Decaux drop off point. I prefere to anchor it to something.

If im leaving my bike over night I leave it well locked outside Pearse St cop station

Have they removed the "no motorbike parking" signs on o'connell street?
    If you have a long enough chain you could lock your bike to the spire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

an other great spot in town to lock a bike over night is trinity lol, all viehicle entrances are locked after 12 and sure until 7am that morning (i think) only ppl living on campus can get in so basically ur bike is very secure plus they have night security and cameras all over the place, its worked everytime for me as pearse street can get a bit tricky at times to find something to lock the bike to

Advertisement