Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poc marked heads on cattle

• 06-01-2010 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I have a bullock & his head is poc marked. Any advice for treatment??? He was treated for fluke and worm & parasites before housing??

Also is it contagious??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I have a bullock & his head is poc marked. Any advice for treatment??? He was treated for fluke and worm & parasites before housing??

Also is it contagious??

Is it ringworm?

A few years ago we out wintered some bullocks. They were on bog ground and had lots of grass - but they were fed meal in a trough. All of them were poc marked - especially over the eyes and we asked the vet if it was ringworm, he asked if we were feeding them outside and if birds could get to the trough. Of course the birds cleaned up any pickings when the cattle were finished. The vet said that it was an infection carried by the birds.

Maybe its the same with yours???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Louse powder or cresote supposedly good for treatment.

MfMan wrote: »
    Louse powder or cresote supposedly good for treatment.

Creosote in recent years has been found to have cancer causing agents. That's why posts and poles are not treated with it anymore. You can't buy it anymore, but if you have some in stock, I would advise that you keep it away from animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

lamp oil does the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Forgive my ignorance,........ but what the hell is "poc marked" :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

pakalasa wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance,........ but what the hell is "poc marked" :eek:
    i was going to ask the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

it must be local description for cattle having poc in certain parts.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

reilig wrote: »
    Creosote in recent years has been found to have cancer causing agents. That's why posts and poles are not treated with it anymore. You can't buy it anymore, but if you have some in stock, I would advise that you keep it away from animals.

Yes you can buy it no problem in any hardware shops,Well any ive been in anyway,Dunno bout the cancer thing though.Still i wouldn advise puttin it on animals.

pajero12 wrote: »
    Yes you can buy it no problem in any hardware shops,Well any ive been in anyway,Dunno bout the cancer thing though.Still i wouldn advise puttin it on animals.

You're right, you can still buy creosote, but this is only a brand name of wood preservative. Creosote in its original form is illegal to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

if its ringworm ... the waste oil you have from servicing a tractor works well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Also is it contagious??

This is Ringworm, a fungal infection despite the name.

ringworm-on-heifer.jpgbeef_050403.jpgringworm-head.jpg

Mild<
    >Severe

If bad enough 'Imaverol' made up as a solution can be sprayed on, one or more times.

Make sure lice are dealt with as the rubbing they cause will help spread it.

It is contagious... to other animals and children. Even adults.

Environment will require decontamination too- if feasible, or when feasible.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

As said by greysides if it is ringworm it is highly contagious, when working with the animals try and avoid skin contact with them or any surface they might have touched gates posts etc or wear gloves. Do not touch your face after having direct contact with them or any surfaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

As posted above, if it's ringworm it's highly contageous to both humans and other animals. He could have caught it by rubbing against some of the posts, etc. in the shed.

There used to be a green spray (can't remember the name) that was pretty good for treating ringworm. Aluspray isn't bad, either.

Whatever you do don't put creosote on the skin. It will cause the area to swell and blister.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millertime78

Thanks All, going to try the burnt oil & see how we get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭powerfarmer

I remember reading that tea tree oil is good for treating ringworm, as it has natural anti fungal properties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

aloe Vera gel is very good for ringworm, have got some my self at times, was the only thing that worked. sunlight cures it too:rolleyes:
    black oil and creosote was the only cure for cattle. your not allowed to use that any more;). creosote in its true form is gone off the market anyhow
    if possible replace all old timber, cattle can scratch off and spread it. or when shed is empty treat timber with black oil and creosote a couple of times before housing

Advertisement