Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duty & VAT on imported gear - Calculator

• 06-01-2010 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭

For those buying gear from outside the EU, this site calculates the VAT and Duty due :

http://www.dutycalculator.com/

AFAIK Digital Cameras have zero duty, and other gear e.g. lenses 6.7%
    All have VAT@21% in addition to this (and including the postage cost)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 James T Hunt

Thanks for putting up that duty calculator, I was just about to purchase $2,600 worth of luggage from a company in Texas call saddleback leather, according to the calculator this would have cost me an extra 400 euro,

Therefore I shall go to the States and pick them up, and with the duty I saved thanks to you, It will part pay for a holiday.

What a rip off this Country really is!:eek:

I only joined this site yesterday and saved 400 euros already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Thanks for putting up that duty calculator, I was just about to purchase $2,600 worth of luggage from a company in Texas call saddleback leather, according to the calculator this would have cost me an extra 400 euro,

Therefore I shall go to the States and pick them up, and with the duty I saved thanks to you, It will part pay for a holiday.

What a rip off this Country really is!:eek:

I only joined this site yesterday and saved 400 euros already

I love the Irony of someone spending $2,600 on luxury leather bags whining about paying some taxes on their purchase

(FTR - I have bought luxury items over the last year in Ireland, so as to assist the economy)

I do not consider my purchase to be a luxury, i have saved up the money (hard earned) to acquire these goods, as I am planning to travel to many parts of the world and these bags will stand up to the job,

Having lived abroad for 25 years, I can assure you that this Country is a complete rip off in every scene of the word, you mention that you have purchased stuff here to support this economy, and look what your Government has done with it. Remember this the reason we have such a high vat rate (21%) is because we subside the low corporate tax rate of 12.5% so multinationals can increase their profit margins, and even this is not enough for them as they are now moving to Eastern Europe. May I suggest that you buy some bags and get out before it's to late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

I do not consider my purchase to be a luxury, i have saved up the money (hard earned) to acquire these goods, as I am planning to travel to many parts of the world and these bags will stand up to the job,

Having lived abroad for 25 years, I can assure you that this Country is a complete rip off in every scene of the word, you mention that you have purchased stuff here to support this economy, and look what your Government has done with it. Remember this the reason we have such a high vat rate (21%) is because we subside the low corporate tax rate of 12.5% so multinationals can increase their profit margins, and even this is not enough for them as they are now moving to Eastern Europe. May I suggest that you buy some bags and get out before it's to late!

Doesn't matter how you purchase goods. Be it online or in person. The deciding factor is 'purchased outside the EU/country'. Even if you go there yourself, if you bring the goods back to Ireland you are liable to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

just to point out the website has a vat rate of 21.5%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I think the customs calculate the "Value" based on the retail cost here or something, I've been charged for items for a much higher (nearly double) value than what I paid for it online... and the price I paid for it was marked as the value by the seller who shipped it. :mad:

not if I put it on the plane as my luggage

My view on buying goods is , but the best cry once!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

not if I put it on the plane as my luggage

James,

there is every chance you will get away with bringing your purchase back from the US. However, you would not be the 1st one to try and certainly not the 1st one to be caught. If the luggage you are buying is not generally available in Ireland, I reckon you are likely to attract attention from Customs on the way in.

It may seem like a rip off to you, but Duty and VAT are applicable to all citizens of this state.

Regards,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Is James T Hunt not just doing what a lot of people on here do? I am sure I have read in the past that people have got Camera stuff from Adoram, B and H, Hunts and a few other stores.

A lot of us dont like doing this but a lot of us simply cant afford to buy gear here so it would pay to hop on a plane to N.Y and have a short break and buy the gear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement