Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car tyres

Options
  • 06-01-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

where is the best/cheapest place to get new tyres in Limerick? - I seem to recall a thread in the Limerick section of Boards.ie but I have gone thru all the pages and could not find it.....?
    My car (an 06 Almera) is in for service and he says I need new tyres.
    He is quoting 80 each for Nankang tyres, or 105 each for Hancook tyres.
    Are these prices about right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I'd ring a few places first. Click link below.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=tyres+limerick+dock+road&fb=1&gl=ie&hq=tyres&hnear=limerick+dock+road&view=map&ei=Vm1ES-_3NYP00gToqZyTBQ&ved=0CBUQtQMwAA

I got a budget 17" tyre for my wifes car for €75, so those prices seem a little high.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

That price would be right for the big brand tyres, was driving on the dock road yesterday and saw a place beside enterprise cars, they were advertising i think around €55 for 15's, which i'd say are on your car, not sure about quality but the price is certainly right and might be worth a look.kinda gutted i spend €70 per wheel myself 3 months ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭fade2che

I found MTS Tyres on the Dublin Road did me a good deal the last time I needed them. This was for a brand I handnt heard of before but I have them over a year and they are wearing well (touch wood).

Also there is a guy in Ballyneety that is supposed to be good (cant remember the name now). A few people I know that wanted name brand tyres, have bought online and got a local garage to fit and balance them and this worked out a fair bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Victory Tyres on Lelia Street.

Paul will tell you straight out what's a budget, what's standard and what's pemium.

He'll also tell you Nankangs are complete ****e for dry countries with good roads. I'm fairly sure it's also the only place in Limerick (or at least used to be) to stock Vredestein .

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Compare prices between local tyre centres and here:

www.camskill.co.uk

Ordering is painless from camskill, I ordered mine on a Friday and had them delivered the following Monday. Myself and many folks on the motors forum have used them without issue. Limerick Tyre Centre (Fenton's Yard, opposite Kilroy Motors in Raheen) or MTS on the Dublin road will fit and balance them for you for around €30 or €40 extra.

BTW I would not recommend Nankangs, they are knicknamed ditchfinders for obvious reasons. On an Almera I would recommend a middle of the range tyre like Vredestein, Falken, Pirelli, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

ninty9er wrote: »
    Victory Tyres on Lelia Street.

Paul will tell you straight out what's a budget, what's standard and what's pemium.
    Seconded.

Good guy, and decent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Txatxu Urki

I just got 4 new tyres from Mid west tyres on the Dock Rd. 185/60/14 which is a meduim size..55 euro each , including fitting and balancing. Very happy.
    The make is BF Goodrich, which are a very reputable make (used to make the tyres for the bif airlines). They also do dunlop for 10 euro each more, but Goodrich are a very good make. Worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Limerick Tyre Centre in Raheen (Fenton's yard) are usually very competitive. I got Bridgestones 205/55x16 there from him recently for about 85 a corner, incl fitting and balancing.

Daly Tyres next door to NCT (Eastway) are usually very good also.

Had Nankang on the front of an old Vectra a few years ago ... the worst tyres I ever had on a can, no grip at all.

BTW,at 80 for Nankang and 105 for Hankook, your guy sounds very very expensive. These should be much cheaper than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

Have always used MTS tyres on Dublin Road and have always gotten good deals from them. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

+1 for camskill. Use them for the 4x4 tyres. I pay 110stg per tyre from camskill, cheapest in Ireland in my size is 300e per tyre. A tyre centre in Donegal that I priced tyres with couldnt believe how cheap camskill is.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Compare prices between local tyre centres and here:

www.camskill.co.uk

Ordering is painless from camskill, I ordered mine on a Friday and had them delivered the following Monday. Myself and many folks on the motors forum have used them without issue. Limerick Tyre Centre (Fenton's Yard, opposite Kilroy Motors in Raheen) or MTS on the Dublin road will fit and balance them for you for around €30 or €40 extra.

BTW I would not recommend Nankangs, they are knicknamed ditchfinders for obvious reasons. On an Almera I would recommend a middle of the range tyre like Vredestein, Falken, Pirelli, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement