Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a Nokia E71 shortly, keen to set up voip on it

• 06-01-2010 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Getting a Nokia E71 shortly, keen to set up voip on it (phone has wifi ). Will be using a voipcheap.com account

couple of questions ;

How do i make sure that when I make a voip call, the call is only routed thru my wi-fi connection and not over 3's internet connection, (which will eat into my minutes).

Hoping to make voip calls in france, once I hook up to a wifi connection in cafes etc. So just trying to make sure the voip calls will defintetely go thru wifi, if they go thru the local french mobile company,massive data bills

As I will be using differernt wifi connections from time to time will this be an issue

Have seen Nimbuzz and Fring, am I better sticking with the Nokia VOIP client

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've one, setup with blueface, never had any problem with it trying to jump onto a 3G connection to make a SIP call, actually I have the idea that the phone setup won't allow it to do that, but I've no idea where I got it.

When you setup the SIP connection you set a default access point (setup for an E61, which is similar is here) usually your home wifi, and when you are out and about you have to choose a wifi connection, then tell the phone to connect to your SIP provider through it, you can save those settings for automatic use later so it should never try to connect through an access point you haven't explicitly told it to.

This might not make much sense till you have one in hand, should be clearer then.

Built in client is fine, never let me down, good phone too, if I could solve the problem with it occasionally freezing when answering a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

E72 is out now, on vodafone I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

E72 is not good for voip, the client is not as seamlessly integrated as in E71/E63.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Am I best using in the built in SIP/Voip client
    and how do ensure Voip calls only go over WIFI

Thanks

Advertisement