Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRC20040 Greek Tragedy

Options
  • 06-01-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Does anyone know what book is needed / what tragedies are covered in this course?

Any similar info on GRC20030 "Early Roman Empire" and GRC20090 "Roman Sculpture, Myth and History" would also be much appreciated. :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

I didn't do Roman Sculpture, Myth and History I'm afraid.

I'm not a hundred percent about Early Roman Empire I think that you use Suetonius' Lives of the Twelve Caesars and Tacitus' Annals for it but honestly can't be certain.

As regards Greek Tragedy assuming its the same lay out as it was last year you cover Eurpides Medea and Electra, Sophocles Electra and Aeschylus Oresteia (its a trilogy which contains The Agamemnon, Libation Bearers and the Eumenides). The problem with buying them is that there are differnt translators and the versions can differ a fair bit I'd say you best bet is to wait till the first lecture and Michael Llyod will give you a hand out with the appropriate translations, if you want to risk it before then Aeschylus Oresteia was the Oxford version by Christopher Collard, Sophocles Electra was the Penguin version by David Raeburn, Euripides Electra was the Penguin version and Medea was also the Penguin version there's a translation by Phillip Vellacott that contains them both in it but can't remember if we used a different translation for the Electra or not.

Good luck anyway is a very enjoyable course :D

Advertisement