Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what can I do with chicken and ham

Options
  • 06-01-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

I have some cooked chicken and small bit of ham and am looking for some good ideas for dinner tonight as we have guests staying because of the weather.
    any ideas please.. something simple.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

with my turkey & ham leftovers this year I made a pie. Just made up a white sauce, seasoned it with loads of dijon mustard (just because that's what I had knocking about) and added frozen peas and some cooked carrots to it. I had stuffing leftover so I made the topping out of that (fab) but if I hadn't a mashed spud top or shop bought pastry would have been used. Served with steamed baby spuds

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What she said .... I'd make the sauce with chicken stock and add a little cream afterwards rather than a classic milk-based white sauce personally. Also some sliced leeks, sweated in butter would be nice to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How about a quiche? Easy peasy if you buy the pastry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭peepeep

Make a white sauce, add some cheddar, mix in the meat with some frozen peas and serve with pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Had chicken and ham left over from christmas and made the Jaime recipe minus the turkey and I added the ham. Using Leeks that you sweat down for a while so they're really soft and melty. Ready made puff pastry for the top very easy and very yummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd go with the pie option too.
    Make a velouté - which is a white sauce but made up with stock rather than milk - you can add some cream at the end, if you like.
    Leeks would go well with this too.

As for pastry, shop bought puff or short crust is fine but the following is easy and REALLY good for a pie (enclosing the filling, not just topping it).

Rough Puff Pastry

200g Lard or Butter (cold)(I got lard in Tescos)
    400g Plain Flour
    Pinch of salt
    Iced water

Cut fat into 1" cubes,toss in flour until well coated but don't rub fat in.
    Add enough water to just bring it together. Don't work it too much.
    Roll out on a well floured surface with a well floured rolling pin.
    Fold bottom third and top third into the centre, rotate 90 degrees and roll again. Repeat about six times.
    Chill for an hour.
    Make pie!!

It's not hard or particularly time consuming and it made beautiful pies (and I've no experience with pastry). Much better and easier than regular puff pastry for pies.

Some recipes call for a squeeze of lemon juice too!

Advertisement