Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow affecting rail/DART?

• 06-01-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the snow is likely to affect rail services this week? It's like a blizzard here at the moment and I need to travel from Wicklow to Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Keep an eye on www.irishrail.ie for updates or the AA website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Only disruption on the trains / darts is that Docklands station is closed and any scheduled docklands to clonsilla trains are going from Connolly to avoid possible problems.

Seems to be a few minor delays at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

With buses being cancelled, there is huge congestion of people in the mainline city centre stations, bear that in mind before heading for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I am looking at the Real time information on the IE website. I put in a station of Bray:
    16.45 Howth to Bray Scheduled to arrive 17.54 Now due:18.42, 52 mins late
    17.00 Malahide to Greystones Scheduled to arrive 18.05 Now Due 18.54
    16.53 Maynooth to Wexford (was this not the problem one?) Scheduled to arrive 18.15. Now due 18.56

I was in Pearse street around 5pm. Lots of passengers, lots of confusion, very little information.
    17.13 Pearse to Dundalk never showed up. I eventually got a later Drogheda service. This 17.13 service must have turned up eventually and is presently 34 minutes late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

The problem service was the 1630 Connolly Gorey.
    I personally am going to hand around college until I can get the 2310 Pearse Maynooth- by which time delays should be over and backlog cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Did anyone else notice that there has been no mention of the breakdown on the news? I was on the Dart behind the broken down train and we were stuck there for about 45 mins, yet listening to the news on the radio they blamed the backlog on the influx of people using the service!! Talk about not trying to spread the fear :)

Although there is nothing on the news alerts section of the Irish Rail website or AA roadwatch, there are delays to DARTS (and this is impacting Northern Suburban trains ex Drogheda).
    The 6.30 Malahide to Bray service departed 14 mins late. Drogheda train is now stuck behind it also.
    Hopefully there is enough padding in the timetable for Irish Rail to make up the delays, and not impact all their other morning services in Malahide.
    Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

More problems on southside DARTs this morning. Problems at Merrion Gates apparantly. 8am and 8.30am from Greystones both cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

Cathooo wrote: »
    Only disruption on the trains / darts is that Docklands station is closed and any scheduled docklands to clonsilla trains are going from Connolly to avoid possible problems......

Does anyone know the exact reason for Docklands station to be closed??? It this just laziness on IE's behave??

EDIT: Just got an answer to my question above on the IE website
    "This is to ensure that points can be set to a single routing, avoiding risk of any faults"
    Fair enough!!!!, one less set of points of man!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Does anyone know the exact reason for Docklands station to be closed??? It this just laziness on IE's behave??

"This is to ensure that points can be set to a single routing, avoiding risk of any faults"

I have to admit I'm truly surprised by the validity and comprehensiveness of that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

Wasn't it closed for two days before they announced it was to keep the points set? No explanation at all the first day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

markpb wrote: »
    Wasn't it closed for two days before they announced it was to keep the points set? No explanation at all the first day or two.
    fh041205 wrote: »
    I have to admit I'm truly surprised by the validity and comprehensiveness of that reason.
    Yes, I agree that they don't need to much of a reason to close docklands... Nobody to open it.... can't find the keys... staff out sick... moon not in the correct phase... etc, and if they really wanted to, they could man the set of points at Glasnevin Junctions (think that's where they are). But i still think they should concentrate staff on more important points around Connolly station, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Yes, I agree that they don't need to much of a reason to close docklands... moon not in the correct phase

:D
    I pray for the day when I see that on irishrail.ie. Does anyone in the IT section have a sense of humour I wonder?

Yes the points would be at Glasnevin Junction, if these failed then it would cause havoc for Maynooth commuter and Sligo intercity trains.
    fh041205 wrote: »
    :D
    I pray for the day when I see that on irishrail.ie. Does anyone in the IT section have a sense of humour I wonder?

They sarcastically called the Merrion Gates truck driver a genius in the press release and an idiot on Twitter.

According to Irish Rail themselves, these failed again this morning, around 08.15am, causing 30 delays delays.
    And wait for it, they failed again this evening at 17.45. 25 minute delays. No information on the delays this evening on the platforms or on trains.
    There were announcements this morning, but only after I sat for 15 minutes on a train stuck in Connolly.
    I think they really should have a crew situated at the Merrion gates from 7.30am-9.30am, and 4.30-6.30pm for the next week, if they are as unreliable as they are turning out to be this week. Time for Irish Rail to start thinking outside the box!:mad:

Advertisement