Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help creating a gallery in adobe flash..

Options
  • 06-01-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

Here is my template:

E91822844AD44544A073CC5EC7B6136C-500.jpg

Basically I want it to be: when you roll over the thumbs it glows to show its selected then I want it to pop open when clicked and fill the screen like you would see in the lightbox2 script

Ive been googling for tutorials but I really don't know what I should be searching for specifically!? "flash gallery" is too basic

If someone knows how to do this or can point me in the right direction id be very grateful!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

This tutorial might help you as a starting point.
    It's in Actionscript 2:

http://www.flash-creations.com/notes/dynamic_loadjpg.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Is this what your describing? Obviously its not graphicaly on par with the industry, but thats what you get for 10 minz of free work while im bored. click thumb to load fullsize, click fullsize to load thumbs.

The images in that are .swf's, but i really think you should be looking at an XML flash Gallery using JPG's less hassle. What is XML? Well, long story short, its a file on your web server that holds information for where your images and their thumbs are located, flash looks at it, and uses its info to populate the gallery.

So the layout would be like for example the one P posted, however instead of hard coding the images into the file, they are loaded from the XML file on your server.

Theres usually 2 main sections. One which will link the scrolling(or static in your case) images to the thumbs you upload, and the other links to the actual fullsize image. Upload the images, link them and your gallery is updated. So your choises are hard code, and spend a little more time each update, or spent alot of time implementing an XML based gallery and little to no time updating.

Im on the photography boards myself(i know you are, ive seen your work) and i see loads of lads using the same XML flash gallerys. Ask them what they used and if it was hard to implement, doesnt fajitas have one? It might be a tough project to take on if you dont have good foundations in flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

That's what I want red_ice just centered.. I have absolutely no foundation in flash.. I was copying different videos to get where I am now.

I think I would rather hard code it..

Is it just a case of making buttons for all the thumbs and having some action make the photos load up?

many ways to skin a cat. on reflection, I have a simple enough one that you can use. Im pressed for time atm, but i rekon it will suit your needs perfectly. let me see if i can dig it up for you.

<edit>what res are you looking at for the swf?</edit>

had an OCD fest on this... couldnt take my mind off it for some reason, so i had to bang it out. must have built it about 15 different ways, i think this way is pretty straight forward tho. far from complete tho.

has a loading screen, loads images from a folder. the images are pics of the numbers 1 and 2 to illustrate how it would look.. was too lazy to find other images. i put in a title section just incase, thats in a text file. its not full screen - yet. talk about that another time. message me to talk the finer points.

link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Sorry I keep forgetting about this thread! That looks good.. Im wondering I can use my images as links instead of using text?

My resolution is 1000 x 700

most definitly, that text is treated the same way as an image is in flash. The only reservations that i have are that each of your thumbnails will be an individual resolution, that means animating the thumbs with a glow might be a tad too much work for a free job. however you could always use a snippet of the main image at a set res as the thumbnail, which would make for the glowing to be much easier.

Send me a PM with your phone number and ill give you call about it, you could do the whole site in flash if you like.

Advertisement