Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools closed due to weather???

• 06-01-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi, does anyone know how to find out if a school will be re-opening as per the school diary or if they will be closed due to the bad weather. The school phone is ringing out and the local church to me (which has close association with the school) have not heard anything. I don't want to drag the children to the gates tomorrow to be met with a notice saying the school is closed!! Any advice? Tks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

The school closures in our area are being announced on our local radio station - could you ring yours to check. Ring someone on your Board of Mangement it is being left to them to make the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 K4

I only have one number for the school. I don't know anyone personally on the BoM. The church office was my brainwave... but alas they have not heard! I think I'll keep them off anyway. Monday seems like a better way to start the routine back. Tks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 swim

Schools in Limerick are to remain closed because of the Big Freeze

MORE than 30 primary and secondary schools across Limerick have now confirmed they will not be re-opening tomorrow due to the continuing freezing weather which is set to continue until next week. [/B]
    While most city Schools say they will be open tomorrow a large number of schools in County Limerick have confirmed they will not now re-open until Monday January 11.

In a statement issued this week the Department of Education said it was a matter for individual boards of management to decide whether or not to re-open following the Christmas Break.

However it said schools should make "all reasonable efforts" to make up any lost school days during the remainder of the academic year.

Schools that have announced they are to remain closed have cited health and safety concerns and treacherous roads that the main reasons. Schools which have confirmed they will not re-open on Thursday January 7.

Limerick City
    Gaelscoil Raheen
    JFK, Ennis Road
    The Model School, O'Connell Avenue
    Salesian Infant and Primary School, Fernbank
    Scoil Carmel, O'Connell Avenue
    St Munchin's College, Corbally

Limerick County
    Abbeyfeale Vocational School
    Ardagh NS
    Broadford NS
    Carrigkerry NS
    Colaiste Chiarain, Croom
    Colaiste Iosaef, Kilmallock
    Colaiste Mhuire, Askeaton
    Colaiste na Trocaire, Rathkeale
    Coolcappa NS
    Courtney Boys School, Newcastle West
    Desmond College, Newcastle West
    Donoughmore NS
    Gaelscoil 0' Doghair, Newcastle West
    Gerald Griffin's NS, Loughill
    Granagh NS
    Hazlewood College, Dromcollogher
    Kilcoleman NS
    Killoughteen NS, Newcastle West
    Knockea NS
    Kildimo NS
    Monagea NS
    Patrickswell NS
    Raheenagh NS
    Salesian Secondary School, Pallaskenry
    Shanagolden NS
    Scoil Íosaf, Newcastle West
    Scoil Naomh Mhuire, Ballyhahill
    St Michael's Community College, Cappamore
    St Senan's NS, Foynes
    St Vincent's NS, Lisnagry
    Tarbert Comprehensive School
    Templeglantine NS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 swim

National and Secondary Schools in Clare to remain closed until Monday the 11th of January.
    Raheen Wood Steiner National School and Raheen Wood Steiner School .
    Ferglin National School, Lahinch.
    Gaelschoil Uí Choimin, Kilrush
    St. Patrick's Comprehensive Shannon
    St Caimin's Community School in Shannon
    Mol an Oige Steiner School Ennistymon
    Clonlara National School,
    St Michael's Community College Kilmihil
    Tullycrine National School
    CBS in Ennis (national)
    Saint Senan's Kilrush
    Barefield, Drumgeedus National School,
    Cranny National School
    Carron and Broadford National Schools
    St Joseph's Secondary School in Tulla.
    Bridgetown NS
    St John Bosco Community College Kildysart
    Kildysart National School
    Toonagh National School
    Lissycasey National School,
    Kilnamona National School,
    Ennistymon National School,
    Knockanean National School,
    Cloonanaha National School,
    Inagh National School,
    Scarrif Community College,
    Kilfenora National School
    Coolmeen National School
    Newquay National School
    Kilrush Community School
    Saint Munchin’s College in Corbally
    Doolin NS
    Caherea National School
    Ballynacally National School
    Kilnaboy National School will be closed tomorrow due to a lack of water but it hopes to reopen on Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Wicklow School closures thread in weather section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

kildare/west wicklow closures being announced on kfm and updated here........

http://www.kfmradio.com/kfm-radio/local-news/kildare-school-closure-up-date.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scody94

does anyone no about schools in laois???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Cork schools list here.

National list here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Most Cork City Schools are open. When the Department of Education first made the announcement yesterday, they neglected to say that schools have to make up the days at a later stage in the year.Schools on the north side of the city that had to close due to having no water supply during the recent floods are being hassled since then by Department of Education and told that the days have to be made up later. Unfortunately, this was not made clear by the Department when they made the initial annoncement and has caused confusion. There should have been an exception made where schools would have remained closed until Monday next when the situation could have been reviewed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Offaly
    Pullagh National School
    Scoil Charthaigh Naofa in Rahan,
    Durrow Primary
    Ballinamere National Schools
    Offaly School of Special Education in Tullamore
    Kinnitty National School
    Community School Birr
    Killeigh National School
    St Mary's Primary School Edenderry
    Scoil Mhuire Banrion - Boys School Edenderry
    Gaelscoil Edenderry
    Boher Ballycumber Primary
    St Brendan's Boys Primary in Moorpark St
    Mercy Primary School in Birr
    Crinkle National School
    Laois
    Scoil Tighernach Naofa in Cullahill
    Ratheniska National School
    Castlecuff National School
    Mountrath Community School
    St Fintan's Boy's School Mountrath
    Scoil Bhride Girls School Mountrath
    Colaiste Iosagain Secondary School Portarlington
    Ballyfin National School
    Ballyadams NS closed tomorrow and prob Friday

All primary and secondary in Carlow town closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Scoil Mhuire - Johnstown Killiney is closed, both boys and girls, until Monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TT-Racer

We're closing school tomorrow at the Dalkey School Project NS in Glenageary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kel2010

A full list of all confirmed closed schools is available on:

www.rte.ie/news

kel2010 wrote: »
    A full list of all confirmed closed schools is available on:

www.rte.ie/news

direct link http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0106/schools.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 muireann =]

does anybody know is st.patricks sns in skerries co.dublin is open tomorrow??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

At least everybody knows what's happening next week. Thankfully the uncertainty has been removed for all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

This must be the first time this excuse of a government have a) made a decision and b) given ample warning and C) are RIGHT!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    This must be the first time this excuse of a government have a) made a decision and b) given ample warning and C) are RIGHT!!!

Agree with A & B, but certainly not C. Why the hell are schools being closed? Everyone else has to go to work, why should schools get time off?
    Is this a Health & safety decision? Whose H&S is being considered here - the teachers or the childrens?
    considering helf the kids in the country are barelling down slopes all day on sleds, trays and who knows what else, it seems a bit ridiculous to assume they're suddenly in mortal danger having to walk on a snowy footpath!

I'm gobsmacked by that decision, especially when we got a memo from head office telling us that any time we miss due to the bad weather will be taken out of our holidays, or out of our wages! Are teachers getting special treatment here? (I'm in the public service as well btw)

Gaspode wrote: »
    Agree with A & B, but certainly not C. Why the hell are schools being closed? Everyone else has to go to work, why should schools get time off?
    Is this a Health & safety decision? Whose H&S is being considered here - the teachers or the childrens?
    considering helf the kids in the country are barelling down slopes all day on sleds, trays and who knows what else, it seems a bit ridiculous to assume they're suddenly in mortal danger having to walk on a snowy footpath!

I'm gobsmacked by that decision, especially when we got a memo from head office telling us that any time we miss due to the bad weather will be taken out of our holidays, or out of our wages! Are teachers getting special treatment here? (I'm in the public service as well btw)

The thing is that there have been principals who have opened schools despite the roads being dangerous. (Saving face) People could have been seriously injured or worse if this had been allowed to continue. Now, I know that there are places in the country where it will be perfectly safe to travel, and schools there really should be open, but in general the government made the right decision. I would probably have been off anyway, and I'd much rather be in work because there is so much to do and being at home is boring, but I'm glad that the decision was made. This is not actually about the teachers. This is about the safety of the parents, children and the teachers. Teachers are not getting any special treatment. It's all well and good asking why should the schools get time off but if a child was injured or worse who do you think people would blame? The government, probably, for not forcing schools to close. Life > Education.

As for everyone else being expected to work, that's not true. I know of 2 companies that are closed. Staff have been told not to go in. My boyfriend has been at home for 2 days because it was deemed too dangerous for him to travel to work.

Everyone's health and safety is being considered. Closing schools keeps a lot of cars off the road and it means that school buses don't have to run in dangerous conditions. If parents let their children play on icey slopes that's up to them.

EDIT: Would you rather see thousands of children and teachers tryin to make their way to schools in these conditions?

And to be realistic, the dept. are probably not really worried about kids slipping on footpaths, they're more worried about kids slipping on school grounds and then schools facing claims etc.

Teachers getting special treatment? What do you even mean by this? Do you honestly think the dept. have said "oh we should close schools to give teachers a few more days off"....? Come on, that just sounds very bitter to be honest.

• Advertisement

I think that if we all think about it rationally, we all know that this is nothing to do with the teachers.

Taking thousands of extra cars off the roads for a few days with the weather as bad as it is? I think that's a fantastic idea.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Perhaps it is the danger of litigation thats behind the decision as much as the safety of the children. It a bit OTT in my opinion, sure its cold out there but we cant just decide to hide at home until it goes away. Life has to go on.

And am I bitter? Meh not really, just thoroughly pissed off that my kids will be sitting at home again next week while myself and my wife will be at work. If either of us has to stay at home, we lose money and or leave. Simple as.
    I'm probably overstating things I know but I do wonder what are our children learning from this - if the going gets tough, stay at home?

janeybabe wrote: »
    I think that if we all think about it rationally, we all know that this is nothing to do with the teachers.

Taking thousands of extra cars off the roads for a few days with the weather as bad as it is? I think that's a fantastic idea.

Ah Janey, stop making me think rationally! I'm cheesed off at this decision and dont feel particularly rational at the mo! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

I'm probably overstating things I know but I do wonder what are our children learning from this - if the going gets tough, stay at home?

Like the rest of us, they'll learn that we Irish are never prepared for the weather! Fair enough, it doesn't normally get this cold and icy, but even when it rains, we're not prepared!!

Meh, why do they have to learn anything from it? Get them to use this opportunity to do some school work at home. It will be a good lesson in taking responsibility for their education.

But really, if even one person is saved by taking all these cars off the icy roads then I think it's worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Of course it is a health and safety decision. The health and safety of the children, teachers, extended staff, school bus drivers and parents ( among others ) I have seen many a scared stiff look on drivers faces in the past few days of people driving on the bad roads. Many other people I'm sure are very pleased that other people were taking their children to school and not them - partners, neighbours, bus drivers etc. The roads are getting worse. The foothpaths cannot get much worse. More and more pipes are freezing, meaning no water or toilet facilities in parts or all of some schools - likely to be many more schools after yet another weekend of freezing temperatures. A school cannot open or remain open without water. A&E is overflowing with broken and sprained limbs.
    Finally Batt referred to the forecast for Sunday and Monday - constant heavy snow falling throughout the country. Add that to the already dangerous conditions and be thankful your kids or your nephews or your nieces etc. are not on the road circa 8am on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday morning, let alone your friends, relations or neighbours that might be driving - with kids in the back - on what will probably be horrendous road conditions, will be safe at home. If the roads were that bad next week I would not have been going to work, for safety reasons. The gardai have been saying recently not to go on a journey that is not necessary, with the conditions to get alot worse in the coming days, surely it is common sense to close the schools. I am gobsmacked that you are so 'gobsmacked'. ' Are teachers getting special treatment here?' - no but the children certainly are, I presume you don't have a problem with that. This is the longest running cold spell since records began. Exceptions have to be made and I'm glad they are being made now and not on Monday morning when it will be too late. Just my opinion of course!

Ah Janey, stop making me think rationally! I'm cheesed off at this decision and dont feel particularly rational at the mo! :)
    I'm cheesed off too. I want to go to work. I don't want to sit at home all day. I have to. Although I'll gladly embrace the chance to do some prep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭eskimoparty

Just got this text . . .

there was a man called Mr. Batt
    Who up to now was a bit of a pratt,
    He left the teachers in dump,
    during the economy slump,
    but then the snow fell hard and thick
    he wasnt such an awful prick.

And when the word got around,
    no tax paying teacher could be found.
    So all the texts spread far and wide,
    the teachers grin they could not hide.
    So chill, relax, rest and play
    c u all next thursday!!!!!!

When are the strike days going to follow?

I got that text too. Whoever wrote it isn't an English teacher anyway. :D

• Advertisement

janeybabe wrote: »
    Meh, why do they have to learn anything from it? Get them to use this opportunity to do some school work at home. It will be a good lesson in taking responsibility for their education.

But really, if even one person is saved by taking all these cars off the icy roads then I think it's worth it.

Good one, that made me laugh!:D They havent seen their schoolbags since they flung 'em in the corner a few weeks ago, and certainly wont see them again until thursday (or later).

Would you have done homework when you were off school for a few extra days when you were a kid?

Good one, that made me laugh!:D They havent seen their schoolbags since they flung 'em in the corner a few weeks ago, and certainly wont see them again until thursday (or later).

Would you have done homework when you were off school for a few extra days when you were a kid?

I'm not sure. I never missed a day of school apart from a Confirmation and a Communion. Probably not, but then my mother would not have been looking for me to learn something from my day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

I kind of wandered into this thread, but, what the fock?
    Water is wet, ice is slippy. Evolution means people who realise this tend to survive.
    Kids love snow and have a low centre of gravity. Taking my kids about over the past few days, sure there have been a few spills, but nothing requiring medical attention.
    "Health and safety" or "insurance policy" are the all too familiar abrogations of personal responsibility, what happened to the pedagological vocation?

Considerring I am burning up my annual leave to fill in for absent teachers, any chance Easter or Summer breaks will be reduced to compensate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

souter wrote: »
    I kind of wandered into this thread, but, what the fock?
    Water is wet, ice is slippy. Evolution means people who realise this tend to survive.
    Kids love snow and have a low centre of gravity. Taking my kids about over the past few days, sure there have been a few spills, but nothing requiring medical attention.
    "Health and safety" or "insurance policy" are the all too familiar abrogations of personal responsibility, what happened to the pedagological vocation?

Considerring I am burning up my annual leave to fill in for absent teachers, any chance Easter or Summer breaks will be reduced to compensate?

Another example of the fact that parents like you see schools as nothing more than a babysitting service.

And no doubt you'd be able to take time off to go to your solicitor when one of your little darlings had a spill in the school yard.

Look, I didnt intend my comments to be a witch-hunt against teachers, I am unhappy about the decision to close schools, but the teachers themselves didnt make that decision. An incompetent government did. They are the ones who ran scared and took this blanket decision to close schools regardless of road conditions (I know people who have had little or no snow and were in school last week but will have to close next week regardless) probably because they are scared of litigation but dress it up as concern for child safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dhidra

You're not filling in for absent teachers.....teachers are not absent, the school is closed.

• Advertisement

(I know people who have had little or no snow and were in school last week but will have to close next week regardless)

To be fair, the lack of snow doesn't mean that the roads are bad. We have had no snow here yet the roads have been bad. And the snow may yet come in those places.

But you are right, there are schools that will be closed for no reason next week, and that isn't right. However, I feel that this way more students will be safe than would have been had the principals continued to make the decision. I have already outlined my reasons why.

At this point, may I take the opportunity to say that as the teachers are not actually to blame here, sweeping statements and generalisations about them will not be looked upon favourably. That is not what this thread, or this forum, is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

I think Batt O Keeffe was spot on with his decision.

Saying that your child has already been out on the slopes and didn't get hurt is not an argument. Over 4000 people have been into Irish hospitals with breaks or fractures since Christmas week. It's easy to supervise your own two or three children, Soulter But if you have a class of 26 kids walking on wet/slippy floors, any icy yard, icy footpaths there's bound to be accidents.

Yes, of course there is a danger of claims etc. I've no doubt about it but there would be massive claims. I for one, don't want, my tax paying for kids who fell in a schoolyard, when it could have been prevented.

It really amuses me when I hear parents complaining that they've to take a day off work off school etc. Yes thats really inconvenient for you, I agree. But in exceptional circumstances, the welfare of everybody is important. It's such a selfish attitude to try and make teachers feel guilty because you've been put out. You had children, you made that choice, live with it, they're you're responsibility. Teachers aren't a babysitting service. There is a duty of care to ensure that children's safety comes above else - regardless of whether you have to take a day off work or not.

And most of all - we will be avoiding this situation - Your child slips and splits his head open - but because of already stressed emergency services and bad road conditions the ambulance doesn't make it on time.

You don't take chances with children. Full Stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

ok, sorry if I sounded anti-teacher, I'd assumed they were behind the decision, which turns out to not be the case. My apologies.

But I'm still mad as hell about people not being able to cope with a little snow. I grew up in Scotland, there were days the diesel froze but we still got to school. Yes we'd fall over on ice, in fact that was a big part of the fun, but young kids have a lower centre of gravity and stronger bones - I cannot recall a single serious injury.
    Put socks over your shoes if you want to be extra safe. If you really don't want to risk, why not have a dispensation for such cautious parents, but at least let those willing risk it.

And the blanket ban is excessive - my kids attend an inner city school, practically everyone is within walking distance.

As for the heath and safety/insurance claims, could the courts not just grow a pair and rule any injuries an act of god in the current conditions? (yes, I am in fantasy land now)

Rant over.

ok, sorry if I sounded anti-teacher, I'd assumed they were behind the decision, which turns out to not be the case. My apologies.

But I'm still mad as hell about people not being able to cope with a little snow. I grew up in Scotland, there were days the diesel froze but we still got to school. Yes we'd fall over on ice, in fact that was a big part of the fun, but young kids have a lower centre of gravity and stronger bones - I cannot recall a single serious injury.
    Put socks over your shoes if you want to be extra safe. If you really don't want to risk, why not have a dispensation for such cautious parents, but at least let those willing risk it.

And the blanket ban is excessive - my kids attend an inner city school, practically everyone is within walking distance.

As for the heath and safety/insurance claims, could the courts not just grow a pair and rule any injuries an act of god in the current conditions? (yes, I am in fantasy land now)

Rant over.

And what, have classes with 5/6 kids in and the other 20 out??

You got that last part right anyway.

BAt has done a U turn and will leave it to individual BOM's to see if they should re open. There will still be alot of schools closed though, burst or frozpipes aswell as road conditions.

• Advertisement

My school reopening Wednesday, probably plenty of other schools doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 boardsiebob

Less than a year ago this thread was opened and now we're in the same situation again. But worse this time with the weather. My kids haven't been to school for I can't remember how long!
    They have at least missed 10 schooldays.
    BoM's that have closed schools don't seem to reopen them unless the roads are completely clear again.
    School service in Ireland should be more organised when the weater is bad.
    Everything depends so much on the roads it is ridiculous that Ireland (even county roads) are not cleared and kept free of ice. People drive over the snow and this get compacted. Then turns to ice and remains on the roads until we get sufficient thaw. At night it freezes again.
    Why not start schools at later time? 10, 11, 12am?
    Why don't schools keep their yards free and safe with salt/grit?
    This type of weater might be relative new to Ireland, but we can't have the schools closing every year for additional 2-3weeks evevery winter.
    We have to get a bit more inventive.
    I am selfemployed and get no pay when I need to take care of the kids during these days. I think I become a teacher. 40k part-time job with 2months holidays.
    Btw. before anyone answers that the conditions are really that bad and risk involved and all that...Who has not gone out with their car (shopping, visits, hairdresser, etc) in these conditions? So you 'risk' going to shop but not driving to school?
    I hope that the BIG Freeze comes back (end of next week forecast) so that everyone gets more used to these conditions and drives away or finds solution, as closing schools is not a solution for long term.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

As a matter of interest, who do you expect to salt/grit/dig out the school grounds?

Oh and I haven't been shopiing or anywhere else either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭stripysocks85

Less than a year ago this thread was opened and now we're in the same situation again. But worse this time with the weather. My kids haven't been to school for I can't remember how long!
    They have at least missed 10 schooldays.
    BoM's that have closed schools don't seem to reopen them unless the roads are completely clear again.
    School service in Ireland should be more organised when the weater is bad.
    Everything depends so much on the roads it is ridiculous that Ireland (even county roads) are not cleared and kept free of ice. People drive over the snow and this get compacted. Then turns to ice and remains on the roads until we get sufficient thaw. At night it freezes again.
    Why not start schools at later time? 10, 11, 12am?
    Why don't schools keep their yards free and safe with salt/grit?
    This type of weater might be relative new to Ireland, but we can't have the schools closing every year for additional 2-3weeks evevery winter.
    We have to get a bit more inventive.
    I am selfemployed and get no pay when I need to take care of the kids during these days. I think I become a teacher. 40k part-time job with 2months holidays.
    Btw. before anyone answers that the conditions are really that bad and risk involved and all that...Who has not gone out with their car (shopping, visits, hairdresser, etc) in these conditions? So you 'risk' going to shop but not driving to school?
    I hope that the BIG Freeze comes back (end of next week forecast) so that everyone gets more used to these conditions and drives away or finds solution, as closing schools is not a solution for long term.
    You are right - closing schools is not a solution for a long term. But I shall give you the example of my school:

A large [~700 pupils] primary school a few miles from a large town, but essentially, in the countryside. Closed last Wed, Thur and Fri. Expected to open Monday, but was too icy. Asked parents to volunteer to come and shovel ice off the paths/walkways. Monday night - extra fall of snow, so that meant that the parents coming to shovel would have a layer of snow AND ice/snow beneath that, so that was called off. Diggers arrived and managed to clear yard and carpark. Principal shovelled some snow off paths at school. School opened today, but several prefabs were without water to flush toilets. Principal said she her back was against the wall and she HAD to open school today. I did not pry.

Bus driver did not do school run. Can't speak for any other class, but in my class, none of the children who get the bus were in school, along with others. I personally would not fancy driving a bus at the best of times, never mind with slippy roads full of compacted snow and ice. Bus drivers have a huge responsibility for the safety of their passengers.

But there are reasons for school closures. Cinemas don't show all their late films because of the weather. Some business let works home a little earlier.

I agree, something has to be done. I'm all ears, ready to listen to your suggestions as to what those things are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Yes, people are "risking" going to the shop. You don't tend to get a hundred cars pulling up at a shop within the same 20 minute gap, and leaving 150+ kids out of their cars at the same time. The conditions around our school are absolutely lethal - it's inviting an accident to have people pull in, try to drop their kids on the icy path, and then turn, pull out and let other cars in. The paths around the school aren't walkable - staff and pupils had to turn back the last day we were open, and one of the children had a bad fall on the way.

It took me over 40 minutes to drive the 10 miles from the town I live in to the rural school I work in. I was the only car going that way - normally there'd be a good few, and I didn't see any of the people/cars I drive in front of/behind. The school buses weren't running and some haven't gone since last week, even though the school has been open. I passed a man who'd crashed his car so badly I couldn't believe he was still standing on the way home from school. Opening a few hours later in these conditions doesn't make a difference.

I'm amazed at how many people in towns don't have a clue that country roads and paths aren't being gritted. My school isn't in the middle of nowhere, it's on a very busy road and there isn't a sign of any grit or salt on it. When we contacted the parents to let them know the school was closed there wasn't a single negative response - most said they weren't leaving their houses whether the school was open or not.
    I am selfemployed and get no pay when I need to take care of the kids during these days.

If this is the crux of your argument - would you prefer that people risk their own safety, and that of their kids, trying to get them into school in dangerous conditions?

I do agree that closing schools isn't a good long term solution, but until the government starts ordering ALL roads to be treated, and provides the salt/grit/money for schools to be made completely safe, it's the only feasible solution when conditions are this bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mat cauthon

dhidra wrote: »
    You're not filling in for absent teachers.....teachers are not absent, the school is closed.

If you are not prepared to mind your own kids, don't have them! If they were sick,what would you do?
    Teachers do not exist to provide free babysitting, or child care so the hard pressed mammies can go to work! Or have coffee, or whatever.
    They exist to educate your kids. They do that. Cut them some slack!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mat cauthon

If you are not prepared to mind your own kids, don't have them! If they were sick,what would you do?
    Teachers do not exist to provide free babysitting, or child care so the hard pressed mammies can go to work! Or have coffee, or whatever.
    They exist to educate your kids. They do that. Cut them some slack!:mad:

Sorry, quoted wrong poster there, but the point stands.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sorry, quoted wrong poster there, but the point stands.

There's an "edit" button under your posts, you can fix them fairly easily ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Earlcatherine

Anybody know anything about school closures in carlow?

Town or country?Am teaching in Carlow, we were meant to be off today anyhow so hopefully we'll be in tomorrow,though the roads are still poor enough.There is a thread on the Carlow boards in region part of the site, I'll post there if I hear anything about town schools or if you want to let me know what area of the co. if not in town I'll see what I can find out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement