Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A small black one.

• 06-01-2010 1:16pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

We had a talk last night from Neil McShane where he presented his B&W Landscapes. He does some stunning work, which you can see on his website blackandwhite.ie

When people ask him which camera he uses he answers "A small black one" he has owned quite a few cameras & he ussually cannot remember exactly which one it was. It also doesn't make a lot of difference. Some of his shots have been taken on a Canon G10, for example this one of the Dark Hedges

I do like that answer though ..... A small black one :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Thats the camera I use as well.... wow using the same gear pros use!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

/cue the clichéd "oh so he's only got a little one" joke with the "proof of bigger aint necessarily better" retort, but maybe avoid the "its about what you do with it rather than what you have" - cameras folks, cameras i'm talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I got my first pixie totd with the 27€ argos digital camera which was kind of funny

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I know Neil (Navan Camera Club) and yes his work is stunning. He showed some of his stuff at the club just before Xmas and it is something to see in the flesh. The website doesn't do it justice, but well worth a look. Mind you, he is a harsh judge when it comes to our club competitions :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

CabanSail wrote: »
    We had a talk last night from Neil McShane where he presented his B&W Landscapes. He does some stunning work, which you can see on his website blackandwhite.ie

I see Neil is having an exhibition in DCC which started last Friday. Well worth a visit if anyone is around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

great composition there!
    I'm still struggling somewhat with B&W, are some of these done in some form of HDR? or is it a different process.

yes the G 10 is a good piece of kit for the size of it ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

No HDR there at all. Neil went through his process.He uses Grad ND filters when taking the photo instead of doing it in PP. Shoots to the right as far as possible. He uses Lightroom & Photoshop, but nothing fancy, just dodging & burning. He also does not believe in dropping in skies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭stabo

CabanSail wrote: »
    No HDR there at all. Neil went through his process.He uses Grad ND filters when taking the photo instead of doing it in PP. Shoots to the right as far as possible. He uses Lightroom & Photoshop, but nothing fancy, just dodging & burning. He also does not believe in dropping in skies etc.
    What do mean by he shoots to the right as far as possible?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

When shooting RAW you try to keep the histogram weighted to the right. The shot will look over exposed but that is corrected in PP.

Advertisement