Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return without receipt but with laser statement?

Options
  • 06-01-2010 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hey there,

I have turned the house upside down to find a receipt for a present I bought someone in Tower Records that I have to return, but can't find it! I bought the item with laser, do shops accept statements as proof of purchase, or can they insist on a receipt? I bought other items on the same transaction, would this matter?

Many thanks!

M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

If you ask for a credit note, then I am sure you don't actually need a receipt.. You just need to be able to show you bought it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Schnork wrote: »
    Hey there,

I have turned the house upside down to find a receipt for a present I bought someone in Tower Records that I have to return, but can't find it! I bought the item with laser, do shops accept statements as proof of purchase, or can they insist on a receipt? I bought other items on the same transaction, would this matter?

Many thanks!

M.

As the item is not faulty, you are relying on the goodwill of Tower Records to give you any sort of refund / credit note / alternative item. You have no "entitlements", and they could insist on a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Exactly, you have proof of A purchase (the price shown on your statement won't match though, with other stuff) but not the proof required. Doesn't hurt to enquire with the statement, may well get you the refund/exchange and they're pretty nice in there, but you're relying on them to be nice rather than the law. Good attitude works wonders in these situations! Since they're not a very big shop, they might trawl through their transactions and find the receipt for you- this may not be the date listed on your statement, as that's when your bank approved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Schnork

Ok, thanks guys, no harm in trying anyway ;-)
    Hopefully they'll offer me an exchange as a goodwill gesture seeing as times are tough in retail at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 silverberg

I have the same problem myself. assording to consmuer rights ireland "The main purpose of a receipt is to prove you bought goods from a particular store, so it is reasonable for a retailer to check that he sold you the goods before he rectifies your complaint.
    If you do not have a receipt, you may have another proof of purchase such as a cheque stub or credit card voucher. A particular trader's name may be on the product, or an assistant may remember you. If you cannot find any proof of purchase, your case is considerably weakened.
    The best advice is to keep as many receipts as possible, especially for expensive goods. Write the name of the shop and the item purchased on the receipt. Also, if a store replaces goods for you, remember to ask for the receipt back with the new goods.Back to top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I reckon your best chance of getting anything would be to ask for a credit note. Most places will accept this if you bring them in your statement. remember just be really nice to the person you are dealing with as this will get you a long way. If you don't get what you need ask them what you can do. They'd be the best to advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 daisy boo boo

hi.i work on customer service on argos and store policy is if you have no receipt then a bank statement with your laser transaction listed is sufficient as proof of purchase:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I've used a bank statement to get a replacement in Forbidden Planet. They didn't quibble.

Advertisement