Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 week holiday Australia

Options
  • 06-01-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hey Guys
    Im planning to go on honymoon to australia for 3 weeks. Has anybody got suggestions on best places to visit.
    Im thinking Sydney, Ayers rock and whitsunday islands.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭iguana2005

Will I fit in you suitcase??

Personally...East Coast...fly into Sydney(big smoke) and travel up the coast stopping in Byron Bay(hippie/surf heaven)..up to Hervey Bay and take a trip out to Fraser Island(large sand island) for some 4WD and camping...then onto Brisbane and swim in the ocean within the city!...then up to Airlie Beach and travel around the Whitsunday Islands(Hamo is a favourite or Lindeman Island)you can go on boats or fly(recomended) and dont forget also Airlee Beach is a great place for sailling so head down the marina(Shute Harbour) and even try get out to Whitehaven BEach(amaing white sand but mind the sand flys) ...then up to Cairns and attempt a dive(good luck) and take in the heat and more heat...and visit Cape Tribulation up around there - amazing...and out to Magnetic Island..

Darwin is great...Mount Isa is hilarious...

Havent been to Perth or Melbourne but I hear great cities...

Drink copious amounts of VB, hang with the locals and ENJOY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

iguana2005 wrote: »
    Will I fit in you suitcase??

Personally...East Coast...fly into Sydney(big smoke) and travel up the coast stopping in Byron Bay(hippie/surf heaven)..up to Hervey Bay and take a trip out to Fraser Island(large sand island) for some 4WD and camping...then onto Brisbane and swim in the ocean within the city!...then up to Airlie Beach and travel around the Whitsunday Islands(Hamo is a favourite or Lindeman Island)you can go on boats or fly(recomended) and dont forget also Airlee Beach is a great place for sailling so head down the marina(Shute Harbour) and even try get out to Whitehaven BEach(amaing white sand but mind the sand flys) ...then up to Cairns and attempt a dive(good luck) and take in the heat and more heat...and visit Cape Tribulation up around there - amazing...and out to Magnetic Island..

Darwin is great...Mount Isa is hilarious...

Havent been to Perth or Melbourne but I hear great cities...

Drink copious amounts of VB, hang with the locals and ENJOY

Good luck fitting all of that into 3 weeks! But you're covered a lot of good stuff there. I really like Noosa, in Queensland and rural Victoria has some lovely towns to visit, it's spa and wine country.

I'd say look in to a few of the places mentioned here and pick a few that you like the sound of. Remember that Australia is HUGE! So give yourself enough time to get from place to place. Uluru (Ayer's rock) will need a couple of days at least, even flying there, as you have to get to it and back from Alice Springs. It took me about 30 hours on a train to get from Brisbane to Cairns, and Melbourne is about 3 hours on plane away from Brisbane, just to give you an idea.

Enjoy your holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭annon123

Agree with above post.i went to oz with friends for 3weeks ,now wasn't a honeymoon so would be a different type of holiday but like above poster said australia is HUGE. I personally wouldn do as much as i did again which included the whole east coast,travelled from sydney al way to cairns. Personally not much in cairns or near there.don go al that far. Also did melbourne. I'd suggest sydney and use that to radiate from,its a honeymoon so you dont want to be literally on the move everyday. Enjoy! I'm very jealous :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

macman2010 wrote: »
    Hey Guys
    Im planning to go on honymoon to australia for 3 weeks. Has anybody got suggestions on best places to visit.
    Im thinking Sydney, Ayers rock and whitsunday islands.

Cheers

Hey,

In Sept. four of us rented a boat for five days and put-putted our luxury motor cat around the Whitsundays. It was phenominal. An utterly fantasic break.

However, it was a relaxing holiday. If you are in Aus for three and looking to do a lot you should stock up on Berocca, espresso and possibly some jazz salt because there are a million things to do and this place is huge.

You should decide on what kind of holiday you want. Plan from there.

j

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Have a look at some of the lonely planet books on Australia. Most people who come over here underestimate the size of Australia. Its massive! There aren't many countries in the world where you can get a 5 hour flight and still be in the same country. You need to decide what you want to see and plan it very carefully if you've only got 3 weeks. The east coast is very good with alot of places to see like The Whitsundays, Frazer Island, Harvey Bay, Brisbane, Sydney etc. Most people avoid the West coast if they don't have alot of time but its amazing. Its alot quieter and things are more spread out but the scenery is unbelieveable. My advice though is to do as much research as you can and plan it well! Its a great country but you won't see it all in 3 weeks so choose which parts you want to see most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭macman2010

All great posts guys thanks.
    Im gonna concentrate on a few places something like Sydney & surrounding area 6 days ayres rock 3-4 days and 12 days between Whitsundays and cape trib. including a drive from Cairns to the whitsundays. Gonna get internal flights to maximise time spent in each, even tho flying nowadays is tedious.
    I have 4 weeks in total but the other week im allocating on getting there and back including a stopover in either hong kong or Singapore.

Any suggestions on either of the stopovers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 loveandlive

Hey Macman,

i was in oz a few months back and believe me you will be delighted you did the internal flights!
    we went from Dublin to Singapore! Im telling you stay in Singapore... beautiful, relaxing, cheap, crime free - it the perfect place to stop or start your holiday...ok i stayed in singapore in the swissotel merchant court.. near clarke quay - please stay near here - its brilliant - its where all the gorgeous restaurants are - near all the night life etc and a short taxi hop away from everywhere really.. best option is to get a taxi from the airport - its 20 mins and dirt cheap.. you can book this hotel on booking.com.. but check their own site also as they sometimes have better deals - god im excited even talking about it.. my sister took my recommendation and is staying in this hotel at the start on her honeymoon this year - its fab.. roof top jaquizzi and everything.. trust me.. singapore is roasting hot.. and this hotel soo cool when you walk into it.. its heaven!!
    if you go to singapore go to china town for all the bargains!! electrical.. cameras, ipods everything.. for half nothing! oh and dont miss raffles palace.. a must see in singapore!
    my advise clearly would be go to singapore! id go back tomorrow.

As for Oz.. i personally loved cairns.. if you get a chance travel a bit further up also to Port Douglas.. the best reef is up there.. its about an hour from cairns.. my advise stayed a night or two in port douglas.. its gorgeous.. from there you could drive up to daintree (rainforest) and up to cape tribulation.. this is fantastic..

we then drove back down and went to townsville and off out to magnetic island.. the most amazing sunsets ever!! flew from townsville to sydney and then from sydney to melbourne... melbourne is fantastic too.. and then drove the Great Ocean Road ( this is an EXPERIENCE!!) amazing country.. i could tell you to go everywhere and there wouldnt be time! i was there for three weeks too and got so much done with flying internally

im so jealous - you will love it!
    macman2010 wrote: »
    All great posts guys thanks.
    Im gonna concentrate on a few places something like Sydney & surrounding area 6 days ayres rock 3-4 days and 12 days between Whitsundays and cape trib. including a drive from Cairns to the whitsundays. Gonna get internal flights to maximise time spent in each, even tho flying nowadays is tedious.
    I have 4 weeks in total but the other week im allocating on getting there and back including a stopover in either hong kong or Singapore.

Any suggestions on either of the stopovers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

We arrived in Sydney via Bangkok (flew Club with BA and what a diff a sleep makes!!) early on Thurs morning. 3 days in Sydney is more than plenty for all the touristy bits, but do take a ferry trip out to Manly and a show at the Opera house. I would have expected more of a pub scene but the Sydney's Rocks area isn't bad.

Heading to Brisbane tomor for 2 days and then weeks along east coast.

So far prices are probably similar to Ireland, making the booze expensive (you only get 0.75 pints here?).

Unbelieveably hot here but still a big buzzing and enjoyable place.

We'll see more over coming weeks, sun might be a problem?

Advertisement