Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupidity on frozen lakes

Options
  • 06-01-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭

Using quads on Trusk Lough and Lough Mourne. How stupid can people actually get? And as for the parents of some of the kids who took them there to do it, would you ever catch yourselves on and stop being so totally and utterly thick. Who are you going to run crying to when the ice breaks and your wee fella/daughter drowns?

http://www.highlandradio.com/2010/01/05/weather-alert-gardai-warn-youthes-of-frozen-lakes/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Is that the big lake, on the left, as you're going through the Gap? That couldn't be frozen thick enough to support a quad and rider, could it? Jeez, if that was to break under you, you'd be a goner!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Couldn't agree more.

I heard a story yesterday (not sure if its true or not) that there was a guy driving a jeep on Trusk Lough over the weekend.

mrmac wrote: »
    Is that the big lake, on the left, as you're going through the Gap?
    Yeah, thats Lough Mourne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamh1975

Some people just won't be told unfortunately. Then of course its up to the emergency services to come to their aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

there is way too many people watching ice road truckers on sky :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

mrmac wrote: »
    Is that the big lake, on the left, as you're going through the Gap? That couldn't be frozen thick enough to support a quad and rider, could it? Jeez, if that was to break under you, you'd be a goner!
    Aye, gone into our water supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

niamh1975 wrote: »
    Some people just won't be told unfortunately. Then of course its up to the emergency services to come to their aid.

Go under the ice for a short period in these temperatures and its the undertaker you would be lookin for :(

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

The Donegal equivalent of Russian Roulette. All it needs is one crack in that ice and the 'craic' would be over in minutes :eek:

It even made the 6:01 news on RTE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SpinIt

Thats just donegal people though :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Good luck to them, sure if the ice breaks and one of them dies, no one will have much sympathy for them (I certainly won't!) and we'll have one less idiot to worry about if the same thing happens again next year. Its natural selection, the stupid ones go first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Ladies and Gentlemen. I give you proof of Natural Selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

CJC999 wrote: »
    Good luck to them, sure if the ice breaks and one of them dies, no one will have much sympathy for them (I certainly won't!) and we'll have one less idiot to worry about if the same thing happens again next year. Its natural selection, the stupid ones go first.

Surely this will result in a darwin award!
    http://www.darwinawards.com/ Honoring those who improve the species...by accidentally removing themselves from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

mk2 wrote: »
    To be fair to these fella's, I know where they were doing this, and it's not a lake, it is a flooded field and wouldn't have been more than a few inches deep.(although if it had been a lake I'm sure they would have tried it)
    Their wording of the video makes it look a lot more dangerous and exciting for viewers.
    But riding on Trusk lough on a Quad just shows what kind of lunacy we mix with every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I am currently in Canada,

Heres a guide to ice thickness safety here

http://www.lifesaving.org/public_education.php?page=181

Going out on he ice on Lough Mourne and Trusk is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I usually take a walk on the frozen sea every winter with the kids... and along with about a thousand other people.

But then again... this is Finland.

There are areas that the local council mark off as no-go areas because of weak ice so people use their common sense and their trust in the experts. It's very very seldom when you hear about anyone going under.

Also, here in Finland, people cut a large hole in the ice and go swimming in it. Finns are a crazy bunch of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Apparently this guy drove across a frozen lake in 1963, drove onto a thin patch and sank 120mtrs to the bottom, it looks like he got out (hence the door being ajar and him outside)
    The plan is to recover him and the car.
    Yes, that is is skull at the very start.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf59lk-Kx-s&feature=player_embedded

Advertisement