Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preservative for Rafters

• 06-01-2010 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Can anyone give me the name of a good product that can be used on the rafters in an attic. I am asking on behalf of a friend who has an older house (1940s) and is getting the attic insulated. It was recommended that the rafters be treated with a preservative against dry rot, woodworm, etc. before the insulation is pumped in.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

ArdDonagh wrote: »
    Can anyone give me the name of a good product that can be used on the rafters in an attic. I am asking on behalf of a friend who has an older house (1940s) and is getting the attic insulated. It was recommended that the rafters be treated with a preservative against dry rot, woodworm, etc. before the insulation is pumped in.:confused:

Protim and Cuprinol are the traditional big names in this field. I really cannot say whether they are good or not. They all smell foul when you put them on, and if I were a woodworm, I would certainly steer well clear.

A very experienced builder once told me that they are all guaranteed if they work, and are not guaranteed if they don't. Obviously, the critical thing is that the attic is dry and well ventilated.

Buying tips: picks the green rather than the clear, so that he will be able to see which parts he has already done as he works.

Usage: follow instructions carefully, especially safety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Protim and Cuprinol are the traditional big names in this field.
    Buying tips: picks the green rather than the clear, so that he will be able to see which parts he has already done as he works.

+1 I agree. Both available in all good Builders Merchants. Protim have offices in Dublin & Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Never use green sorry folks. If you want colour use brown. Green contains copperoxide which produces a pungent smell indoors and cannot be painted over. Brown or red can. Provided is not cresoate substitute

fall all your information protim abrasives went into liquidation the end of last year so there product might not be available but it was commonly sold in woddies and most providers.

I always rec clear. If you plaster it on you will get everywhere and it becomes very hard to notice afterwords which might be usefull if your selling your house in the future. I dont know about you but i know houses have it but i dont want to be reminded of it.

ps: i worked for protim amoungst other places if you need general info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ArdDonagh

Thanks for all that info. Also for the bit about the "green" one - advice you don't get on the tin!! Much appreciated. :)

Advertisement