Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owe NAB money..

Options
  • 06-01-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I spent 7 months in Oz in 2009. However, I received a large payment(Tax) into my NAB account a few weeks after i returned. I withdrew what i thought was the lot(bout 2k dollars).
    Anyway for the last few months ive been getting letters sayin im 154 dollars in the red, Its just a debit card so I didnt think theyd let me go into overdraft.
    Ive ignored the letters so far asking for the balance to be paid, but yesterday i got a letter saying they will pass my case onto the Legal Department should i not pay the balance within a week.
    Im a student and have fcuk all cash so the 154 dollars is sometihing id rather avoid paying!
    Anyone know what they can do to me from Oz about this situation???

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can I ask what the $154 is made up of? Like, is it purchases you have made or is it fees that have accumulated since you left?

If it's bank charges etc then the best form of defence is attack. Call their help centre and kick up enough of a fuss and they will just write the bank fees off, it's very easily done. Complain about misinformation about the overdraft. Say you weren't ever told that you could go overdrawn on a debit card (you shouldn't be able to anyway). Banks don't want the hassle for the sake of a few bucks, believe me.

If it's due to money you have taken out as either cash or purchases then they can and will outsource it to a third party who will hound you until it's paid back so you might have to cough up. I strongly advise getting in touch with them before they outsource because once they do there's no compromise like installments etc.

I work for a bank here and deal with this sort of thing every day btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If $154 is passed on to debt collectors (third Parties mentioned) then is could work out to be much more since they will want their cut out of it. Best to pay it... if you spent it you are going to have to wear it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Alright, cheers for the advice. Ill ring them tomoro.

I made a few purchases online( a flight and train ticket) and took out a lump sum in euro in accordance to the exchange rate and i allowed 50 bucks for charges etc.
    I remember vaguely, although i might be wrong, when i signed up for the account there was an option to pay a couple of dollars a month to allow for a small overdraft.. and i most definitely didnt agree to pay the extra dollars.
    I dont have the latest statement but im certain there were no other purchases than those mentioned.
    So i think ill go for the attack and see what happens!

Advertisement