Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any news on whether city schools are back tomorrow? (SNOW DAYS!)

Options
  • 06-01-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

I've heard the forecasts are pretty bad for tonight, and meant to be worse than this morning, which was pretty bad already (road-wise anyway).

So does anybody have any comfirmation of whether the schools are going to be back tomorrow?

I know it's down to the individual schools.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

It was just on TodayFM news that all schools need to assess individually if they can open, make sure water & heat is working. I am guessing it will be announced on local radio this afternoon. Dont give people much chance to make arrangements though!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭BJohnson

This was recently posted on the RTE website - they will probably update it though the evening regarding school closures:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0106/education.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

BJohnson wrote: »
    This was recently posted on the RTE website - they will probably update it though the evening regarding school closures:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0106/education.html

Good find that. At least people can check in with it to see.

It is a bit late in the day though for people to be organising alternative work/childminding arrangements etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Pres, Mercy and Jarlaths in Tuam have all been closed 'til Monday. I think the Pres in Headford is as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

If your lucky enough to have phone number of principal, text them. I received a text from my kids principal just there saying school closed till next monday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

mars bar wrote: »
    Pres, Mercy and Jarlaths in Tuam have all been closed 'til Monday. I think the Pres in Headford is as well.

where did you get the information on the pres and the mercy??
    cant find information that they are closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

alibabba wrote: »
    If your lucky enough to have phone number of principal, text them.

Sorry, should've mentioned, I've no kids waiting on school. Just want to know if I'll have to leave for work an hour earlier again, as usually when the schools are back the traffic is bad enough, never mind having freezing roads to contend with, which would send the traffic into a mad frenzy tomorrow and Friday morning.

But thanks for the heads up though:)
    alibabba wrote: »
    I received a text from my kids principal just there saying school closed till next monday.

Want to say which school that is:D At least relaying that info will help others that haven't already heard.

That kinda was the point to this thread really:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Galway Bay FM are reading out the list of schools that will be closed at least once an hour. It's getting longer every time. Unfortunately ours hasn't been mentioned yet :mad:

CC

Galway Bay FM are reading out the list of schools that will be closed at least once an hour. It's getting longer every time. Unfortunately ours hasn't been mentioned yet :mad:

CC

Thanks cheshire cat, just turned the telly over to radio and having a listen.
    tell ya what Galway bay fm have done a real service to galway this winter.
    with the road reports through the flooding and storms, the ice and cold, and now the schools they deserve some money from the council/government as a public information service, between them and boards is the only way you find out what is actually going on:)

(( i know they will never get any money, but they are deserving of it))

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's the ones in Tuam s/he was referring to ....

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    It's the ones in Tuam s/he was referring to ....

yes i know that just mary:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

GalwayBay Fm!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

Gaelscoil Mhic Amlaigh (knocknacarra) is definitely closed tomorrow (much to the delight of my wee one:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just listened to the news there. It seems most county schools are closed but they didn't mention city schools.
    Apparently city schools are texting parents.
    I'd just assume they don't open and make arrangements to stay home if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

cregmore is open to the disgust of my two sons. we just got school txt from the 'commity'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

All city secondary schools open as of right now. Get up early and listen to the 7am news on GB FM tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

Magnus wrote: »
    Just listened to the news there. It seems most county schools are closed but they didn't mention city schools.
    Apparently city schools are texting parents.
    I'd just assume they don't open and make arrangements to stay home if possible.

ST JAMES ns bUSHYPARK, (sorry) Galway City
    is closed until Monday 11th.:D Just got a text from school.Yippee!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

These were the schools at mid afternoon but loads more since:
    St. Jarlath’s College, Tuam, Convent of Mercy, Tuam, Ballymacward National School, Scoil Sheamus Naofa, Barna, Presentation College, Headford, Kilcoona National School, Presentation College, Tuam, Knocknacarra National School, Gaelscoil Mhic Amhlaigh, Knocknacarra, Dunmore Community School, Cahergal National School, Tuam,

Dunmore National School, Garrafrauns National School, Clifden Community School, Kilconly National School, St. Mary’s College, Ballygar, Eyrecourt National School, Gaelscoil De Hide, Oranmore, Ballinderreen National School, Lackagh National School, St. Brendan’s National School, Annaghdown, St. Nicholas’ Parochial School, Woodquay, Boleybeg National School, New Inn National School,

New Quay National School, Sylaun National School, St. Brendan’s National School, Clonfert, Holy Rosary College Mountbellew, St. Killian’s Vocational School, New Inn, Garbally College, Ballinasloe, Toreeny National School, Moycullen, Scoil Bhaile Nua, Moycullen, Mercy College, Woodford and St. Francis’ National School, Tirellan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

The closed schools are up on Jimmy norman blog

www. jimmynorman.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

on blog

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0108/live_weather_transport_updates.html

4:50pm: Minister for Education Batt O'Keeffe has ordered that the country's 4000 national and secondary schools are to remain closed on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I don't agree with it. A decision being made centrally again. Kids in our house and estate went to school, full class in, no bother. I understand some parts of the county are bad but many city ones are fine. AFAIK (apart form some schools in Knocknacarra way I think) only Mervue closed..why??.

Its causing havoc with childminders/parents can't get to work etc

I know not everyone can get to school etc but shutdown till thursday???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I don't agree with it. A decision being made centrally again. Kids in our house and estate went to school, full class in, no bother. I understand some parts of the county are bad but many city ones are fine. AFAIK (apart form some schools in Knocknacarra way I think) only Mervue closed..why??.

Its causing havoc with childminders/parents can't get to work etc

I know not everyone can get to school etc but shutdown till thursday???
    I don't either. Next week won't be as bad as this week. I'm in Leaving Cert too so I am kind of annoyed that I will miss classes before the Mocks. I have more time to study though I guess.

I'm just opposed to the central decision. The minister should leave the principals to make the decisions.
    Mind this has been the worst Irish winter cold in 30 years so guess it's a bit "special".

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

our school was open thursday at cregmore. all attended. dont think they should close.if everyone can go this week surley they can go next week cos we are affected by frost not snow in the west. parents are driving slow being carefull.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Complain to the government about it, O Cuiv and Fahey and Grealish are all around tomorrow doing clinics in Galway .

Yeah, your kids will thank you for it...
    :p

its all down to health and safety, and its not something they could of foresaw.

as for parents moaning about childcare arrangements, they are actually your children and therefore your responsibility.

also means with the roads the way they are mums and dads on the school run will not add to the jams.

im off to stock up on food lol..:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Anyone know what the deal is with NUIG, GMIT, GTI, Moneenageisha PLC etc...?

Are they staying open as usual or are they shut too?

Advertisement