Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any news on whether city schools are back tomorrow? (SNOW DAYS!)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

as for parents moaning about childcare arrangements, they are actually your children and therefore your responsibility.

However you are legally required to have 'em in school when they are between certain ages. There may be local reasons why this cannot happen in some areas at some times. However I don't think that this can reasonably be decided centrally.

I'm also really surprised that the Minister has the right to order schools to close, unless there's a nationwide state-of-emergency (or whatever the term for the legal status is in this country).

I wonder if he's trying to save a bit of money by not paying the SNAs, cleaners, bus-drivers, etc for a few days. (I'll bet the teachers get paid for the days!)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

JustMary wrote: »
    However you are legally required to have 'em in school when they are between certain ages. There may be local reasons why this cannot happen in some areas at some times. However I don't think that this can reasonably be decided centrally.

I'm also really surprised that the Minister has the right to order schools to close, unless there's a nationwide state-of-emergency (or whatever the term for the legal status is in this country).

I wonder if he's trying to save a bit of money by not paying the SNAs, cleaners, bus-drivers, etc for a few days. (I'll bet the teachers get paid for the days!)

And he'll have the approval of all those 17 - 18 year olds who'll be able to vote by the time of the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

AFAIK NUIG is open....no e-mail so far to say they are closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

While there is insufficent grit and salt to treat all but main roads I think this a reasonable measure. School buses travel all sorts of routes. Sending them out on secondary roads that are not gritted is just asking for trouble. I'd much prefer they do this than have any child injured or worse in an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Niamhf wrote: »
    AFAIK NUIG is open....no e-mail so far to say they are closed!

I'd be gobsmacked if they closed. stunned even.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

JustMary However you are legally required to have 'em in school when they are between certain ages.

No thats not true, you are legally required to give your child a education, they dont have to be in school but they do have to have a education hence home schooling

im sure they will be getting paid and why shouldnt they, they have no control over the weather, or the governments decision to close the school.

there are health and safety regulations when the temp goes below freezing, when dealing with children surely its better to be cautious

when i decided to have 2 children i didnt think to myself
    "" ahh by the time there 5 the country can mind them for me during the day for 7 / 8 months a year"
    sorry but i just dont see my children as a burden , i can now have 3 more fantastic days with them i cherish my kids
    there a gift never a burden

and as for any employers that made noise about the parents having to take time off, its the governments decision so what can they say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Anyone know what the deal is with NUIG, GMIT, GTI, Moneenageisha PLC etc...?

Are they staying open as usual or are they shut too?

GTI is closed, got a text off them a few hours ago. I assume Moneen will be closed too but I doubt NUIG or GMIT will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭nifheorais

moonflower wrote: »
    GTI is closed, got a text off them a few hours ago. I assume Moneen will be closed too but I doubt NUIG or GMIT will be.

Youthreach, part of City Galway VEC IS CLOSED until Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

im sure they will be getting paid and why shouldnt they, they have no control over the weather, or the governments decision to close the school.

I will be very surprised if any support staff (ie not teachers) get paid for days that they did not work. If they're lucky, the schools have to catch up the days later in the year (shorter breaks, or perhaps just staying open for longer at the end of the school year), and they will be able to make up for it then.

(Did you know that Ireland has the shortest school-year in Europe?)

...and as for any employers that made noise about the parents having to take time off, its the governments decision so what can they say

Well, if you've been there for less than a year, they can say "you're fired".

If you've been there a year or more and therefore have some rights, they can give you a verbal warning and make you take a few days annual or unpaid leave.

Some employers won't do this, of course, Some will even give extra, paid, leave, or allow parents to work from home. But some will. (have a read over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055790933 for some real-world situations regarding "snow" days).

And closing schools at short notice, when parents haven't had time to organise options, has knock-on effects too. Some children will simply be left at home unsupervised. Other services will be curtailed - imagine being the nurse or ward-clerk ringing up to say "I'm sorry Mrs Murphy but your operation tomorrow is cancelled 'cos the surgeon has to stay home with her children".

In places where it's necessary, I'm 100% with the decision to close schools. I just don't think it's necessary everywhere, or that it's the sort of decision that should be made centrally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Moneen PLC is definitely closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,585 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I will be very surprised if any support staff (ie not teachers) get paid for days that they did not work. If they're lucky, the schools have to catch up the days later in the year (shorter breaks, or perhaps just staying open for longer at the end of the school year), and they will be able to make up for it then.

(Did you know that Ireland has the shortest school-year in Europe?)

Well, if you've been there for less than a year, they can say "you're fired".

If you've been there a year or more and therefore have some rights, they can give you a verbal warning and make you take a few days annual or unpaid leave.

Some employers won't do this, of course, Some will even give extra, paid, leave, or allow parents to work from home. But some will. (have a read over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055790933 for some real-world situations regarding "snow" days).

And closing schools at short notice, when parents haven't had time to organise options, has knock-on effects too. Some children will simply be left at home unsupervised. Other services will be curtailed - imagine being the nurse or ward-clerk ringing up to say "I'm sorry Mrs Murphy but your operation tomorrow is cancelled 'cos the surgeon has to stay home with her children".

In places where it's necessary, I'm 100% with the decision to close schools. I just don't think it's necessary everywhere, or that it's the sort of decision that should be made centrally.
    Snow days will be made up either over midterm in Feb, Easter or summer.

Agree that there was no need for a 100% closure, conditions are completely different in different parts of the country.
    Believe me ALL the teachers I have spoken too would prefer if the schools weren't closed in the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

Some children will simply be left at home unsupervised..

Then they are Sh*te parents arent they!! work and money do not come before the children, and if they really need that money then they shouldnt of had kids in the first place as they obviously couldnt afford them
    (im a single parent will no support network in ireland and i manage so why cant other people)
    Other services will be curtailed - imagine being the nurse or ward-clerk ringing up to say "I'm sorry Mrs Murphy but your operation tomorrow is cancelled 'cos the surgeon has to stay home with her children"..

sorry i cannot imagine any surgeon having to stay at home to look after there kids, do you know how much they earn!!! as if they rely on the school system totally not a very good arguement!!!

it is actually standard to close schools in many countrys when it gets this cold, i can remember being out of school many many times when i was a kid because it fell below zero for 3+ days in the uk, there are so many issues with health and safety

The point is, any parent who relys on the school system to childmind there kids is now has difficulties, and you should always have plan b, and if you dont then be prepared to take time off , if that means loosing your job so be it, anyone who is a parent has the responsibility of that child,
    which means your child comes before your wage packet!:eek:

Advertisement