Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VIC20

• 06-01-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭

Blitz (came with the tape drive IIRC) - 1 key game.. simple but, *simplyly amazing* at the time.

What other great games were there?

Remember typing in games printed in the magazines?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I had Omega Race - which was a Cartridge. I had the 16k Expansion RAM Cartridge, and a GCSE UK school exam program for teaching maths, etc. I usually ended up playing home made games I'd get from Magazines and type in. Boring, but when you're 9, extremely exciting.

The only problem I had was that some moron of a neighbour told my Mother it would damage the TV, and even though I knew it wouldn't, I had to live with a B&W TV for 7 years, even on my C64.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

Caterpillar for the Vic20.
    Upper levels were insanely fast and chaotic.

I had a C16, lovely and simple to program, not many games though, I used to write my own.. lunar lander, asteroid type :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I borrowed Omega race of a friend and blew up the Cartridge.. we sent it back and had it replaced.. took weeks. aahh.. the gold old pre-www days!

Skramble... on tape. 1 life and you had to reload the game every turn!

We had a colour Amstrad Portable TV for Xmas the year after we had the VIC20 for Xmas.. IIRC VIC20 was £129 from Comet with a tape player. We had no RAM pack.

chompy wrote: »
    Caterpillar for the Vic20.
    Upper levels were insanely fast and chaotic.

I had a C16, lovely and simple to program, not many games though, I used to write my own.. lunar lander, asteroid type :D

Remember text games?? Lunar Lander in text seemed great..

"You are 2 miles from the moon's surface, your speed is 59.3m/s - type in your thrust (1-10).."...

awesome.

si_guru wrote: »
    Remember text games?? Lunar Lander in text seemed great..

"You are 2 miles from the moon's surface, your speed is 59.3m/s - type in your thrust (1-10).."...

awesome.
    Aw that takes me back !
    I was into making the visual landers, they looked crap on the commodore16, you needed sprites.

I also had an Oric 48K, which was brilliant. It had pixel animation and cool sounds.

Remember old adventure games where you had to type in "talk to the wizard" and stuff?

• Advertisement

I remember one on the PET called Nightmare park - had some graphic saide games... and one on BBC Model A called "Eldorado!"..

"you are at a cross road, a road goes east and there is a dragon - what shall I do?"

errr... "inventory"

"you have a magic book, a rope and a penknife!"

err.. "stab the dragon"...

etc, etc...

Syntax Error.
    Ready.
    _

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Isn't there a host of Jeff Minter games on the Vic20?
    Gridrunner, Traxx, Hellgate, all great but probably hard to get working, unless you have one of the Final Expansion carts, that can take an SD card and any games you may happen to have on it!

Are there any retro commodore/spectrum/bbc games on PC or Playstation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

si_guru wrote: »
    Are there any retro commodore/spectrum/bbc games on PC or Playstation?

Pretty much every Spectrum and Commodore game is available via emulation.

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/
    http://www.zzap64.co.uk/c64/c64emulators.html
    http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/bbc/emulators.php3

I havent used the 64 or BBC ones myself, so you may have to look around for the roms, but World of Spectrum has all the roms included.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If you buy the new PC version of Gridrunner Revolution it includes the C64 and Vic20 versions of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Forgot one other game "Earthquake!", a text adventure game.

You are in the remains of a room, there is rubble everywhere. To your west you see some light, you feel something close to your hand ... fun times.

You are in the remains of a room, there is rubble everywhere. To your west you see some light, you feel something close to your hand ... fun times.
    ...this could go Manga any moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Forgot one other game "Earthquake!", a text adventure game.

Remember the memory pack for the VIC20, you needed it to run an advanture game, maybe on cartridge.

I loved Omega Race, quite close to the arcade version.

---

To catch on talk of the Oric, I bought Manic Miner just, literally, days before Software Projects went to the wall..

I have tons of Oric stuff in the attic, Level 9 adventures with their large plastic cases and hint sheets, Snowball, Lords of Time.. Zorgon's Revenge, Defence Force, Wimpy, Hunchback, Xenon 1, Fantasy Adventure, M.A.R.C. etc etc..

Chymesoft sold software for the Oric, mostly adventure games, they were Irish.

Strangely 'Gay Byrne software' (G.B.S. on a label stuck to the tape rear cover) were the main distributors of software for a few of the computers at the time, somewhere near Pearse Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I seem to remember posting this link before on boards, now it might have been on 'all things retro'; anyway having read through some of the comments ye might enjoy these games.

http://www.ifiction.org/games/index.php?cat=44

Advertisement