Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A4 or Alfa 159

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

I love the 159 and my as said before, the heart says alfa.
    But one thing you have to remember, trading in an Alfa is impossible. I bought a 156 and absoutely loved it and had no problems with it.
    When I went to trade it in very few garages would even look at it and those that did were giving me next to nothing for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

The Audi is the sensible choice of the two, while the Alfa is the purist "look at the shape" choice.
    Being honest, if I was buying a saloon car I wouldn't go near either. The Alfa is an Alfa and it's either going to have problems or be hard to trade in when you change it. The A4 is a quite expensive albeit well built and good quality car that when held up against the standard modern "crap badge" saloon car offers little value for money. In my opinion you'd be better off with a Mondeo or a Passat or any other of a vast range of cars. There's better value to be had but if you love Alfa's you're going to know they have problems and love them anyway. Be honest, you just wanted confirmation that the Alfa is the one to get from other people. If you were an A4 tpye person you'd have asked whether to get the Audi A4 or the Saab 93. You're getting the Alfa, happy driving.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

pbergin wrote: »
    I love the 159 and my as said before, the heart says alfa.
    But one thing you have to remember, trading in an Alfa is impossible. I bought a 156 and absoutely loved it and had no problems with it.
    When I went to trade it in very few garages would even look at it and those that did were giving me next to nothing for it.

The 156 is a piece of **** compared to the 159 though, and was plagued with reliability problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

alfa all the way it gorgeous and now reliable , had an audi before never again never ever again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I'm suprised no ones spelled it Alpha yet:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

testicle wrote: »
    The 156 is a piece of **** compared to the 159 though, and was plagued with reliability problems

Agreed, but try trade in a 159 and see what happens.
    As I said Im an alfa fan, but phone any garage and say you have an Alfa to trade it, see how quick they run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Honestly, I'd be more critical of the reliability of the Audi than the Alfa.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

nullzero wrote: »
    The Audi is the sensible choice of the two, while the Alfa is the purist "look at the shape" choice.
    Being honest, if I was buying a saloon car I wouldn't go near either. The Alfa is an Alfa and it's either going to have problems or be hard to trade in when you change it. The A4 is a quite expensive albeit well built and good quality car that when held up against the standard modern "crap badge" saloon car offers little value for money. In my opinion you'd be better off with a Mondeo or a Passat or any other of a vast range of cars. There's better value to be had but if you love Alfa's you're going to know they have problems and love them anyway. Be honest, you just wanted confirmation that the Alfa is the one to get from other people. If you were an A4 tpye person you'd have asked whether to get the Audi A4 or the Saab 93. You're getting the Alfa, happy driving.

What's 'sensible' got to do with it ? OP already has an Alfa, so that point is moot already.......:D.........the Alfa is an Alfa means....nothing, really. It has the best engine, full-stop. The Audi is not measurably better, and is a lower-spec, and lower-tech, car. No shortage of VAG issues around here, so 6 of one, half-a-dozen of the other imho.

As pointed out by other (owner's), you're no more likely to meet trouble in an Alfa than anything else, Audi included, properly minded.

Resale is a non-issue, as OP is keeping it long term, so why pay over the odds for an (inferior) A4 ?

As for the Audi-or 9-3, I have the 9-3. But I wish I had the Alfa !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Kopy

Definitely the 159 ! :)
    The 159 Jtdm
    This one came with Blue & Me Sat Nav / Phone built in.
    Carbonio Metallic black with 15 spoke Alloys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Audi A4 has to be for me, see if you can find an A4tdi quattro.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭reitoei

Heh, this a tough one.

Motors board + many people passionate about cars = Alfa

Sensible head + eye on resale value = Audi

Would you consider a Honda Accord? Very nice car too.

Personally, I wouldn't go for the A4. Very common, loads of people driving them around with really dodgy S4 kits etc.

Took one for a test drive a couple of months ago (a 2007 S Line diesel). Was a nice driver I must admit, but the interior was spartan and very much like a golf. Wouldn't be mad on them myself. You'd be as well off going for an A3. There isn't much of a difference as far as I could see.

If I was looking at your bracket, diesel Accord with full leather would be very high on my agenda.

Subaru Impreza... maybe. It's 4 wheel drive, so I'd imagine it's a good bit thirstier.

A diesel Subaru Legacy would be out of your price range I think.

Could you live with an Octavia? Very underrated car in my opinion.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Octavia/2.0-TDI-/201002196590149/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Hey, I just thought, if you don't need 4 doors have a look at the A5. It's stunning so you get the best of both worlds, Audi reliability and fab looks.:pac::pac::pac:

Just a passenger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Any update on this OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Hi everyone, thought ye'd be interested in an update -

We bought the audi.

2006 a4 TDi SE (whatever that means) 2.0ltr and 140bhp.

The drive of the 159 felt just awful in comparison. In the end you spend more time in the car than outside looking at it. Plus hard to get diesal alfas. Plus we've a baby so the beautiful a5s not an option.

We're v pleased with it tbh and the spartan interior has grown on me!

Tks for all the advice though :) was great to thrash out the pros and cons a bit.

ellee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

ellee wrote: »
    Hi everyone, thought ye'd be interested in an update -

We bought the audi.

2006 a4 TDi SE (whatever that means) 2.0ltr and 140bhp.

The drive of the 159 felt just awful in comparison. In the end you spend more time in the car than outside looking at it. Plus hard to get diesal alfas. Plus we've a baby so the beautiful a5s not an option.

We're v pleased with it tbh and the spartan interior has grown on me!

Tks for all the advice though :) was great to thrash out the pros and cons a bit.

ellee

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: lol

best of luck with the new car :)

Advertisement