Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sale prices

• 06-01-2010 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭

I was in a major electrical retail store after Christmas to have a look at their sales. I noticed a fridge I had my eye on was marked at €860 before the sale down to something like €740. I looked at this same fridge before Christmas in the same shop and there is no way it was ever €860. I also looked at a TV which I bought October. At the time of buying every electrical shop had it at €1850 (I got a great deal from the Philips shop in Dame Street). The same TV was marked at €2050 pre sale price in the same shop. If there was a sales man free I would have said something but I did not hang around and just walked out in disgust.
    I know this is illegal so I was just wondering if anybody else found anything similar anywhere.
    (BTW prices shown above may not be exactly correct but more of an indication of what I found)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Frank11 wrote: »
    I know this is illegal so I was just wondering if anybody else found anything similar anywhere.
    AFAIK, the item must have been at the 'pre-sale' price at some time in the previous 6 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

From what I remember off the top of my head the legislation is that the 'displayed pre-sale price' must have been a price applied to the item for a minimum of 30 days in the past 180 days in one or more branches of the retailer.

So what a lot of retailers would do is to over price the items in one of their branches for 30 days and then use this price for all the other branches.

Sneaky and underhanded, but still slightly on the right side of legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Just out of curiousity what was the name of the shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Frank11

I'm not sure i am allowed to state the name of the shop, maybe somebody could clarify.
    There was deffo not sale marked on the fridge before Christmas as i know somebody else who bought the same one.

Advertisement