Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General software recommendations for now build

Options
  • 06-01-2010 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi All,
    after much lurking here I've finally ordered my new build. I have Windows 7 and Office but what else should I be looking at downloading now as I wait for the hardware to arrive?

So far I have Firefox, Adobe Acroread and Microsoft Security Essentials (as an Anti-Virus checker) on my list. Are there any other general programs you use regularly and you'd recommend? I assume Windows 7 will download all the latest drivers? The last build I did was years ago on XP and I remember having "fun" trying to find all the latest drivers.
    Thanks,
    Timmaii

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

CCLeaner and Smart Defrag for keeping your PC clean

Paint.Net or GIMP for photo editing

MalwareBytes Anti Malware for malware protection

Foobar 2000 for aa WMP/iTunes alternitive

Switch Sound file converter for audio conversion (very handy if you like to rip lossless but put MP3 on your PMP)

HDTune for checking your HD speed and health.MemTest86 for ram checking.

CPU-Z and GPU-z for information on your processor (CPU-Z) and Video card (GPU-Z)

And 7 has a great dirver database and it will be able to download and install most drivers straight away for

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Google Earth
    Foxit pdf reader
    Spybot search and destroy
    Rocketdock

also check out Ninite easy pc setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Jock Strap

Actually, I think a list of essential software (Windows/*nix) for a new build would make a good sticky! Like a top 10/20 must haves for checking that components are working e.g. Prime, CPU-z etc. as well as AV software and applications!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Messerschmitt

I use Winamp instead of Windows Media Player.

Gimp is a must have.

VLC media player is great too.

Audacity if you're into audio editing.

I use Opera browser instead of Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

MSN, AIM, or Skype depending on what you use

Winamp is also good, maybe not as good as Windows Media Player but it's still good

Google Chrome

iTunes if you have a iPod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Foobar 2000 for aa WMP/iTunes alternitive

Switch Sound file converter for audio conversion (very handy if you like to rip lossless but put MP3 on your PMP)
    foobar2000 also has an inbuilt converter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Quite simply you want to Open source/Free Software as much as you can. Not only is it free, but 9 times out of 10 its better than the commercial software :)

You need:
    OpenOffice - Exactly Like Microsoft Office except Hundreds of Euro Cheaper :P
    Firefox with Adblock+ and NoScript Extensions - The Safest Web experience short of cutting yourself off from the web completely.
    Pidgin - It's like 9001 IM programs rolled into one! Access your MSN, AIM, ICQ, GMail Talk, Yahoo and tons more all from 1 program!
    The CCCP with Media Player Classic - Install this and not only will you have a minimalist, no nonsence media player, you will be able to play 99% of media formats/configs known to the interwebs!
    VLC - For when you need to play that other 1% :P
    Spybot search and destroy - Good for clearing away them dern cookies and also pre-immunising Firefox.

As for Foxit PDF reader, I tried it, didn't like it so went back to Adobe Reader, but each to his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭Nollog

Media Player Classic - Home Cinema
    64 bit is the future, but without codec support it's mainly pointless for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

Thanks for the quick replies - some handy ones there I'd forgotten about!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

recently started using kmplayer since it can pretty much play everything, nice interface and handy functions. For instance can add you own subtitles (if you can download the file from somewhere) but the best is actually probably the audio sync where you can manually adjust it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Divx
    java
    Your phones software

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

to me:

AVG (i saved the 10years active serial that they gave last time) and MalwareBytes when i am in trouble
    ccleaner
    firefox (and its addon)
    msn and skype
    itune ( i use ipod)
    realplayer and win7codec (this is like the klitecodec for win7 and fixes some win7 player problem)
    microsoft office and photoshop
    winrar
    the usual java/adobe/divx etc
    picassa (for blogging)
    steam and garena :D

i have all softwares in my external harddisk,is easy when i need to reinstall my stuff

Advertisement