Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch - Waterford City

• 06-01-2010 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

We've been lucky (or unlucky if you love snow) to miss the worst of the snow this week. With the grey clouds closing in, I wonder are we about to get our share of it?

All the forecasts say no for Waterford seemingly. The adult in me says I hope it stays away, but in reality Im hoping for a little bit.

The sattelite imagery on this site www.raintoday.co.uk shows the snow just stops at the new bridge by the looks of it!

Has anyone seen any snow in the city so far?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No, we are the only part lf the country apart from Cobh not to see serious ice or snow, lets keep it that way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

snowing now anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

snowing out the dunmore road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

It doesnt seem to be the sticky variety.. token snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

just had a shower of snow by Slieverue/Ferrybank, stopped now though

• Advertisement

Damn, its snowing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

just had a shower of snow by Slieverue/Ferrybank, stopped now though

Seems to be back again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

Where is all this snow you speak of? I haven't seen so much as a flake!

EDIT: Now I see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

It's the outlying part of what's come down from Dublin and is probably currently over Wexford. It's heading south and will probably be gone in an hour or two. What is it about Waterford and no snow? Maybe the Comeraghs block it from the west and north-west, and the sea air warms things up on the south and east?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

merlante wrote: »
    It's the outlying part of what's come down from Dublin and is probably currently over Wexford. It's heading south and will probably be gone in an hour or two. What is it about Waterford and no snow? Maybe the Comeraghs block it from the west and north-west, and the sea air warms things up on the south and east?

North Atlantic Drift might play a part in keeping things that degree or 2 higher. Or something like that.

• Advertisement

Thats it I think, we have a micro-climate in the east of the county.

I used to travel lot from east to west and back again across the country in the same day, the difference in shower activity was notable as I came back towards Waterford on a wet day. In Tralee it might dump every 10 mins at lunchtime, by Waterford in late afternoon the first and only shower of the day was ready to fall. We get away with a lot here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

They are not very big snow flakes. Just little ones. And not the kind to stick. Me, Im very disappointed. I really wanted a bit of snow!

It's kinda sunny now.

Woo, it's back and heavier.

Yep we'll be breaking out the snowploughs by morning!

mike65 wrote: »
    Yep we'll be breaking out the snowploughs by morning!

I've got the skis on standby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Nice bit of snow falling here in the industrial estate. Doesn't look like it will stick though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Snowing away outside Bausch & Lomb and seemed to be getting heavier about 10 minutes ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

its sunny in UCC :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Small drops here and there on the Dunmore Road, nothing major.

• Advertisement

Starting again down here in East Waterford, the sky is a lot darker this time and its sticking in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

Nice bit of snow falling here in the industrial estate. Doesn't look like it will stick though.

Thats where I am and its coming down fairly fast now. Its not heavy enough to stick though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I wouldnt expect much more snow in Waterford now.

Looking ahead, from Saturday evening onwards there might be another chance but not likely before then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Starting again down here in East Waterford, the sky is a lot darker this time and its sticking in places.
    I didn,t know we had a east waterford :confused:

ha ha neither did I till I until after I posted! I'm as far east as you can get without actually being in South Kilkenny, I was excited and my brain is mushy, its stopped now though (snow & brain)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

decies wrote: »
    I didn,t know we had a east waterford :confused:

Course we have an east waterford i would always class dungarven cappa and such as the whesht :D Ya a bit of snow around kilmeaden too not stickin though:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Snowing away outside Bausch & Lomb and seemed to be getting heavier about 10 minutes ago.

id **** back inside the door or else u will be made redundant

Light covering of snow thats seems to be sticking.

That was a fair dose of it there. The place is covered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

If we get little showers like that during the night then the roads will be bad in the mornin.

Advertisement