Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch - Waterford City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

The roads in the estate here (Rockenham) are treacherous ! Been watching cars sliding down the hill all evening and others turning around and heading back trying to come up it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

bit hear in hillview. I left me bike at me mates last night. Think ill have the leathers on later for when I slide down me hill. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,682 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thin covering in Tramore - it won't need much for the roads to be dangerous tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Showers have died out now, thats all the snow there will be for a few days.

South Kilkenny got it a lot worse, couple of inches in places, roads are lethal up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Showers have died out now, thats all the snow there will be for a few days.

South Kilkenny got it a lot worse, couple of inches in places, roads are lethal up there.

Ya reckon we'll get a bit more later in the week?

• Advertisement

Trotter wrote: »
    Ya reckon we'll get a bit more later in the week?

Yeah, could be snow in these parts again Sat/Sun/Mon, hard to know for sure yet but its looking possible now. They will probably mention it on the forecast after the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I've travelled from carlow im on the train to waterford at the moment and kilkenny to carlow is unbelievably dangerous, if any blaa natives were thinking of heading there tonight on travels, don't think of your safety and others, its just too dangerous, kilkenny south has the couple of inches from what my work collegues have told me, if snow freezes on roads tonight it will be so hazardous. anyway main point of interest, dont travel tonight outside waterford, it is too dangerous outside waterford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

Ballyhale to Kilkenny was lethal on the way home this evening. That was at around 5 tho. They've closed some out of the roads of kilkenny city due to the snow..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 summer10

Does any one know if any of the primary schools in the city are open or closed tomorrow Thursday 7th January 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭xFROSTY Gx

summer10 wrote: »
    Does any one know if any of the primary schools in the city are open or closed tomorrow Thursday 7th January 2010

Theres already a thread for that http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055789640

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

My lads are hoping for more snow and have been out in it this evening. Ballygunner NS is closed until Monday and De La Salle is closed tomorrow and we'll find out tomorrow what's happening on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Very icy roads late last night and this morning. The main streets in town, the Quay, Parnell St. etc are perfectly fine but I turned into John's St. and onto the Waterside and it was treacherous. Catherine St was a little better but it was imperative to drive slowly and carefully.

Main streets are fine, side streets are not.

My own road has four inches of ice in places and long stretches of this, very dangerous. Managed to salt my own drive early this morning and was able to get out and back in again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm out of bread and milk so will have to venture out later, hopefully the sun and traffic will have slushed the snow by lunchtime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Whats it like outside mike? Housing estates up by st otterans not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

my whole front is still covered in snow as i'm in the shade..my back is the same..it's not even slushing yet. on saying that i brought the kids to school and once i pulled out of the actual estate the roads themselves were ok. bit slippery but nothing you couldnt manage if you were to drive that bit slower.

decies, its snowy! :D I haven't been outside the front door but others have and seem to have driven away successfully.

Did it snow last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Got a two day old car ,think it stays in driveway today

mike65 wrote: »
    decies, its snowy! :D I haven't been outside the front door but others have and seem to have driven away successfully.

Did it snow last night?

There was a heavy snow shower that lasted about 10 mins just before 6pm, just the tail end of a heavy snow shower that came over Wexford from the Irish Sea. Thats what gave the dusting/covering that there is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

up on carrickphierish , blackberry fields ect still have the coat of snow like most other estates so if it snows later on it may get thicker around city but im not to sure we will see more snow today.:( or :D depending on your stance ;)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Very little if any snow forecasted for the remainder of today and tomorrow, however the South East region could be in for a few showers of snow over Saturday & Sunday

• Advertisement

Snow is disapearing off the roofs quickly now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

mike65 wrote: »
    Snow is disapearing off the roofs quickly now.
    Sign of bad insulation maybe!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Feck all snow in Waterford compared to Kilkenny/Carlow tbh

Was just out, the main roads are fine. I'd say the pavements are a much greater hazard.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Very little if any snow forecasted for the remainder of today and tomorrow, however the South East region could be in for a few showers of snow over Saturday & Sunday

Could be a complete whiteout Sunday & Monday.

Or it could be rain.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Could be a complete whiteout Sunday & Monday.

Or it could be rain.

:pac:

For Waterford or a whiteout in general? Interesting!

Trotter wrote: »
    For Waterford or a whiteout in general? Interesting!

One of the most recent weather prediction models is showing constant snowfall from Saturday night until Tuesday morning. If it actually happened, the country would be brought to its knees. East, southeast, south getting the most of it.

Could all change though, mightn't happen or might not be that bad but I'd say snow of some kind in Waterford is very likely by Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I travelled to Dublin and back yesterday and to Wexford and back today. It's strange but the obvious snow only really started in Clonroche yesterday and it got real bad real quickly. Same yesterday coming down, really bad as far as Enniscorthy and then it died out.

Same today, quite heavy snow last night in Wexford and it only became obvious after NR.

Seems like snow just doesn't like Waterford as it seems to be the only county in the SE that hasn't really had any significant snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I travelled to Dublin and back yesterday and to Wexford and back today. It's strange but the obvious snow only really started in Clonroche yesterday and it got real bad real quickly. Same yesterday coming down, really bad as far as Enniscorthy and then it died out.

Same today, quite heavy snow last night in Wexford and it only became obvious after NR.

Seems like snow just doesn't like Waterford as it seems to be the only county in the SE that hasn't really had any significant snow.

That's because the snow is well aware that to settle on any piece of ground in Waterford, it has to endure the objections of Brendan McCann and with summer approaching, it can't be arsed! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,682 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Lol, good one!
    I drove into town about 9.30 this morning and once I was out of the immediate bit of estate I live on the roads were fine, all the Tramore hills clear and the main road to Waterford good too. Nobody rushing but no problems. The council seem to have done a good job locally.

Advertisement