Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow watch - Waterford City

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I'm surprised to see snow falling again over in Ferrybank, there has been plenty of sleet for the last few hours, but seems to have turned back to snow again.

One other thing though, although the main roads may be ok, please take care on roads in and aroung housing estates, I have witnessed 3 crashes in around our estate in the last couple of hours, one of them was of a BMW going sideways down a hill clipping 2 parked cars along the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

For anybody getting the 0710 train to Dublin in the morning, it seems the new fangled Korean Irish Rail trains can't really cope with the -1/-2 degree tempertures forecasted tonight....from the IE website:
    MINOR SERVICE REVISIONS FROM MONDAY 11TH JANUARY

As a precautionary measure to ensure service reliability, Iarnród Éireann is temporarily ceasing the practice of "splitting and joining" trains during the day, as extreme cold conditions outside of the depot environment can expose the control and mechanical systems of train couplers to faults.
    To facilitate this, the following service revisions will apply from Monday 11th January until the current cold spell passes:
    07.10hrs Waterford to Heuston & 07.40hrs Waterford to Heuston will be amalgamated with capacities of both trains combined, and operate to the 07.40hrs Waterford to Heuston schedule throughout. All other services on this route will operate to the normal schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

its all clearing up i think our snowman is no longer a snowman :( plus i hear its raining in tramore so wont be long before city gets it and goodbye snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Anyone know the temperature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Got into work without too much bother anyway. The estate was still a bit treacherous but overall not so bad. There was heavy sleet while I was coming in.

I wonder what the night will bring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Got into work without too much bother anyway. The estate was still a bit treacherous but overall not so bad. There was heavy sleet while I was coming in.

Not sure what forecast is for tonight , seems to be sleet and rain around at moment .

22.30hrs http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

nkay1985 wrote: »

Temps are rising slightly all the time so will only be rain or sleet from now on, heavy rain on Tuesday then more rain at the weekend to bury the cold spell.

No cold weather again in sight then after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Temps are rising slightly all the time so will only be rain or sleet from now on, heavy rain on Tuesday then more rain at the weekend to bury the cold spell.

No cold weather again in sight then after that.

BBC are saying there could be snow Tuesday across Southern Ireland.
    I don't believe them. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Cake Man

The snow would want to go f**k off for itself, I'm sick of the sight of it by now! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

Cake Man wrote: »
    The snow would want to go f**k off for itself, I'm sick of the sight of it by now! :rolleyes:
    Me too ya cant do anything with it! can barely even leave the house!!:mad:

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    BBC are saying there could be snow Tuesday across Southern Ireland.
    I don't believe them. :(

Not a hope! It will be horrible lashing rain in gale fore winds down here. Maybe snow on high ground way up north if they are lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭suttongun

Come back snow! Dont break my heart again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

suttongun wrote: »
    Come back snow! Dont break my heart again!

yeah a bit more be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Its gone lads :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'm delighted its gone. I hope it never comes back.

Being house-bound with no water isn't something I'd be wishing back. And we only had a mild dose of snow.

If I want snow I'll go on a skiing holiday!!!

Just as a heads up lads, looks theres going to be fairly strong winds with very heavy rain heading for these parts early tomorrow morning, could well be some flooding around and branches down etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭suttongun

Word of warning to anyone who cleared the slush from their driveway or footpath,

its even more slippery than before! was out on mine just there after cleaning it today and it was crazy,i put some ash on it an tis grand now but was doing the splits earlier.

Take it easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

the tramore road is deadly completely covered in ice

• Registered Users Posts: 44 stephenc1979

The roads are really bad here in portlaw, thick slush freezing over.... lethal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

@ ex Infantry man,

Did you mean the whole route from Waterford to Tramore is icy? Will need to drive out there early tomorrow morning.

Also, what's the Tramore Ring road like?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The main Waterford to Tramore road is not in the best of conditions. If you need to drive on it, drive just under 20mph and keep away from the hard shoulder. Hope your a confident driver as if you slip, you will need to know how to react to save the car. There has been a big accident already just around the bend from the Halfway house.

The conditions are getting poorer as the night goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

AA Roadwatch are saying: WATERFORD Gardaí say the Tramore/Waterford Rd (R675) is treacherous and should be avoided. * Take care also on the N25 Cork/Waterford Road between Youghal & Dungarvan at Grange & west of Dungarvan at Lemybrien. Conditions on the Moonvoy Road (R682), Tramore and in the surrounding areas are icy.

RAIL: Trains to waterford are arriving on time and departing the station on time No delays at the moment.

Bus: All bus services are running good Waterford to dublin are going and arrivng and departing on time Waterford/Tramore service is running good but roads in tramore are slippery.

Roads: roads are getting very slippery across the county Tramore/waterford road is very slippery most other roads are very slippery take extra care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Waterford - Tramore is lethal. Like glass and to the muppet in the 407 who overtook my car and a jeep "you're a muppet". The amount of people going right up the back of cars is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

Cork road and Superquinn roadabouts are lethal. A Grit truck was heading out the Tramore road at around 8:15, so hopefully should help a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,121 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The footpaths on the dunmore road and in the estates are absolutely deadly. If you must go out be extremly careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I nearly ended up like the guy on the news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭horsebokks

AdMMM wrote: »
    I nearly ended up like the guy on the news!

on the beer again adam?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thaw happening as I type, all the crazy paving ice which covered the car 2 hours ago has vanishsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I was driving up sunrise crescent which was very slippy; not much grip at all. There was a car behind me with one light but when I went to turn right onto Paddy Brown's road, I checked the rear-view mirror and didn't see him. Turned the corner and looked back and your man was sideways on the road.

Industrial estate was a bit slippy but nothing anyone who's a half-decent driver shouldn't be able to handle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So farewell thee, winter snows of 2009/10

Advertisement