Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goosefat tin- once opened how long will it keep

Options
  • 06-01-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Bought a big tin of Goose fat to do roasty's on new years day - god I love them roastys:)

There is no info on the tin re storage etc but I always thought you couldnt leave stuff in a tin once opened - at the moment i have it, in the opened tin, in the fridge...

Could anyone please tell me what the best way to store it is and how long it is likely to last now its been opened??

Also any other good uses for this stuff bar those heavenly roasty's - mmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMM roasty's

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

From the website of the "Goose Fat Information Service" (yes, I know!) http://www.goosefat.co.uk ...
    What is the Shelf-life of Commercial Goose Fat?

Goose Fat has a long shelf-life usually in excess of 12 months. Once the jar has been opened, like home produced goose fat, it will keep for 2-3 months in the fridge.

There are some recipes and usage ideas on there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Macsimus

Alun wrote: »
    From the website of the "Goose Fat Information Service" (yes, I know!) http://www.goosefat.co.uk ...

There are some recipes and usage ideas on there too.

Thanks Alun thats a big help.

"Goose Fat Information Service" - lolz, god bless the interweb.

I wonder though should i take it out of the tin ?- and put in a jar or bowl or something? again i always thought that you shouldnt store anything in an open tin in the fridge??

if anyone has an answer on this it would be much appreciated

Dunno .. the stuff I got came from Lidl, and it comes in a plastic screwtop jar. Maybe just cover the tin with some foil or cling film, or if it's a 'standard' sized tin you can get plastic lids in supermarkets (often found in the pet food section!) for sealing the tops.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Macsimus

Dunno .. the stuff I got came from Lidl, and it comes in a plastic screwtop jar. Maybe just cover the tin with some foil or cling film, or if it's a 'standard' sized tin you can get plastic lids in supermarkets (often found in the pet food section!) for sealing the tops.

Will do - cheers for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Remove it from the tin and put into a plastic sealed container and store in the fridge. Do not leave in the tin.

• Advertisement

Miaireland wrote: »
    Remove it from the tin and put into a plastic sealed container and store in the fridge. Do not leave in the tin.
    Why not :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Why not :confused:

You're not supposed to leave anything in a tin once it's been opened. The aluminium in the tin can start to leach out into the food and contaminate it when it comes in contact with oxygen.

Faith wrote: »
    You're not supposed to leave anything in a tin once it's been opened. The aluminium in the tin can start to leach out into the food and contaminate it when it comes in contact with oxygen.
    Really? I can imagine that certain acidic foods, like tomatoes for example, could react with the aluminium when oxygen is present, but fat?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Really? I can imagine that certain acidic foods, like tomatoes for example, could react with the aluminium when oxygen is present, but fat?

No, the oxygen and the aluminium react, which can result in the food being contaminated. I don't think it matters what type of food it is.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Aren't the inside of cans coated with "something" these days to prevent such contamination ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ponster wrote: »
    Aren't the inside of cans coated with "something" these days to prevent such contamination ?
    They are usually lined but you have cut this plastic where you open the tin.

http://www.csiro.au/resources/Storage-Life-Of-Foods--ci_pageNo-2.html

http://www.foodscience.csiro.au/storagelife2.htm
    Once cans are opened some foods, especially fruit, fruit juices, and tomato products, should be placed in a clean plastic or glass container, covered and stored in the refrigerator. When these foods are stored in the opened metal can, tin and iron will dissolve from the can walls and the food may develop a metallic taste.

Food containing high concentrations of tin can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal cramps, abdominal bloating, fever or headache. These symptoms pass quickly and there seem to be no long term effects of high tin exposure. However, repackaging food once a can is opened is a good practice to adopt for all foods packaged in metal cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Why risk it:confused: - just transfer to a plastic container in fridge.
    Id never leave anything lying in a tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Ponster wrote: »

. . . think they coat them with goose fat :D

Advertisement