Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Subaru Outback or alternative

• 06-01-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I want to treat myself to something - I have an eye on a Subaru Outback, maybe 5-6 years old. It ticks most of my boxes - a big comfy estate, automatic, AWD, pretty reliable and comes recommended by the sounds of it. I don't know if I can justify a 2.5l engine though, a lot of my driving is in the city. The fuel and tax costs would probably ruin me. Can anyone suggest something similar that might not be quite so thirsty? I need a reliable estate, pref. automatic, and it has to be reasonably nice ;) or feel free to try to talk me into a 2.5l engine too :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

maybe there is a Forrester with a 2.0l automatic? I'm not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Or even the Legacy or Impreza estates.
    Check out www.isdc.ie if its Subaru they'll know.
    Plenty of help there,might even get your Subaru there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 AdyDurn

Don't Jaguar do an AWD X Type estate? And I'm sure they do it with the 2.0 twin turbo diesel, too...

Should definitely tick the Auto and Comfort boxes too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The Forester was available in 2.0 turbo and non-turbo, manual and automatic, until 2005. From 2005 on, the facelifted model came as either a 2.0 non-turbo or a 2.5 turbo, both again available in auto. I have a 2.5 turbo auto and I love it. It is smaller than an Outback, and it's quite hard on fuel, but it is pretty quick too. From what I hear, the non-turbo isn't a lot better on fuel. My experience with Foresters is that they grow on you with time, I have every intention of keeping mine until it dies. It's the most complete car i've ever owned, it can do everything from crossing muddy fields to transporting sofas to playing the hooligan. What kind of money are you thinking of spending? And how important is performance to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Thanks for all the replies
    Anan1 wrote: »
    .What kind of money are you thinking of spending? And how important is performance to you?

I have a friend with a Forester who loves it to bits too. So maybe that's one to consider. I'm not really 100% set on a Subaru though, I'll consider other things. I could spend maybe 7-8k on something up to 6-7 years old.

Performance/power isn't too important to me. I've driven a Corolla estate for 2 years, I like having an estate but wouldn't mind a "nicer" one if ya know what I mean :) reliability is very important though, and I'd prefer something that doesn't cost the earth to fuel and tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

Audi allroad?

bonzos wrote: »
    Audi allroad?
    Smallest engine is a 2.5 diesel, and then there's the potential for expensive repairs. Great car, though. On which point, does the OP actually need off-road ability? I assumed so from their mention of an Outback rather than a Legacy, but now i'm wondering?

I mostly prefer the look of the Outback tbh. AWD would be nice (I had to get a towed off an icy hill by a 4x4 on Christmas eve, which set me off thinking about it). Its not a dealbreaker though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

AdyDurn wrote: »
    Don't Jaguar do an AWD X Type estate? And I'm sure they do it with the 2.0 twin turbo diesel, too...

Should definitely tick the Auto and Comfort boxes too...

I thought only the 2.5 and 3.0 petrol were AWD?

cornbb wrote: »
    I mostly prefer the look of the Outback tbh. AWD would be nice (I had to get a towed off an icy hill by a 4x4 on Christmas eve, which set me off thinking about it). Its not a dealbreaker though.
    The Outback is by all accounts a great car, but be under no illusions about fuel consumption. What kind of mileage do you do PA?

• Advertisement

About 10,000 miles I reckon. I've just got it into my head that I want one, I know you're right about the fuel though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

si_guru wrote: »
    I thought only the 2.5 and 3.0 petrol were AWD?

Yep, the 2.0 petrol 2.2 diesel, and 2.0 diesel are front wheel drive.
    A front wheel drive, four cylinder, diesel jag. oh yeah!

Only automatic diesel is the 2.2 and that only came out lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yep, the 2.0 petrol 2.2 diesel, and 2.0 diesel are front wheel drive.
    A front wheel drive, four cylinder, diesel jag. oh yeah!

Only automatic diesel is the 2.2 and that only came out lately.

All subaru,s with the exception of the 2wd Justy 1.0L are AWD . My father in law is on his third Outback and fuel consumption was a tad heavy on his 98 and 03 ones the new 05 model he has now is much better and he reckons is getting over 30 MPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Darsad wrote: »
    All subaru,s with the exception of the 2wd Justy 1.0L are AWD .
    Untrue....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Untrue....

Aplolgies I should have said all current new Subaru . There was of course the older models FWD 1.6 Impreza & Legacy and probably some others .

cornbb wrote: »
    About 10,000 miles I reckon. I've just got it into my head that I want one, I know you're right about the fuel though :pac:
    Well i've got good news for you - you're not doing enough mileage to make fuel consumption that much of an issue! Just buy a well-minded one, do all the checks, and enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote: »
    Well i've got good news for you - you're not doing enough mileage to make fuel consumption that much of an issue! Just buy a well-minded one, do all the checks, and enjoy.

+1

By all means, do your sums for yourself. Most people in this country tend to overestimate the cost of fuel and underestimate the more hidden one-off cost of depreciation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I'm on my second 2.5 petrol Legacy - the current one is a 99 Outback manual, the previous one an auto saloon. I paid €750 for the Outback from a scrap yard, NCT'd it and serviced it and I can't recomend them highly enough. Go anywhere, tow anything, pull itself out of a muddy field and commute a 40 mile round trip on ice without a squirm. I do 8-10k a year and aside from the annual kick in the nuts that is the tax bill, fuel consumption is a manageable 30mpg. The auto was much more thirsty (24mpg) but it blew two head gaskets and was too expensive to fix so I buried it in a hole in a field.

Go for it - great value in the UK at the moment.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

I too would love one. Just need to sell my own first. However I may just be leaning towards the Legay estate.

Advertisement