Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compact DSLR

• 06-01-2010 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭

I'm hopefully going to be getting a new camera in March (B&H here I come) so I've started looking around. What I'd like to get is a compact DSLR (just to head off the confusion, not a compact camera rather a DSLR that is compact). Have handled (man handled) regular DSLR and think I'd be less inclined to lug one around with me compared to something smaller. For example Pentax have a compact DSLR Camera and a range of compact lenses

So, does anybody else have some similar? Any recommendations on manufacturers, models? And known issues with such cameras, am I mad to consider it? I assume, as with all things electronic & compact, there will be some price premium to be paid.

Thanks,
    P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

The compactest would be the Olympus EP-1 or the Panasonic GF-1 especially with the 17 or 20mm pancakes.

A much cheaper and small alternative would be an Olympus E-420, or E-450 and the 25mm pancake.

The panasonic G1 is also quite compact and has a flip screen.

Check the reviews of all at www.dpreview.com they're all highly recommended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Pentax k-m would be smaller than k7, but panasonics are probably the smallest slrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm biased, because I'm an Oly person, but I'd think the best combination of (lack of) size and features is the Olympus E620, I think the slight increase in bulk over the E450 is well justified by the in body IS, OP if you can afford it go for the twin lens kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

My GF just got herself the Olympus 420, and it's TINY, and the images are great. It's too small for my giant hands, but it's very light. Even not with the pancake lens.

nilhg wrote: »
    I'm biased, because I'm an Oly person, but I'd think the best combination of (lack of) size and features is the Olympus E620, I think the slight increase in bulk over the E450 is well justified by the in body IS, OP if you can afford it go for the twin lens kit.

That's the camera I use and I forgot all about it :o

• Advertisement

I have an Olympus E-420 and it's pretty similar (if not the same) in size to my previous camera, a "bridge" camera, The Kodak Easyshare Z710.

I'm no DSLR expert, and I suck at photography something serious, but its a grand camera size-wise as far as I can see (im using a 14-42mm lens that came with it). It's not tiny now, but not huge either. I bought myself a cheap ass school bag/back pack in Argos for €15 and, even though the bags not the biggest in all the land, i can fit my E-420, 15.4" Laptop, gorillapod and chargers off both camera and laptop. So that should give you an idea of the size.

Personally, I don't think I ever see myself having to hold a big clunky DSLR for hobby photography. I'm just getting into it now, and I see no reason why cameras won't keep getting smaller as time goes on. I'd recommend the E-420 for it's size (it could be a sh*t camera though, check it out on some sites to get decent reviews of it first, as im not exactly a great intelligent photographer, I cant really comprehend it's limits or bad points).

Personally, I don't think I ever see myself having to hold a big clunky DSLR for hobby photography. I'm just getting into it now, and I see no reason why cameras won't keep getting smaller as time goes on. I'd recommend the E-420 for it's size (it could be a sh*t camera though).

It's a great little camera, I'd the previous version the E-410, all cameras have their pros and cons and the E-420 is a great performer, I've an E-620 now and miss the size of the 410 :rolleyes: change isn't always for the better. The 620 isn't even that much bigger!

Advertisement