Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather in Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Has there been much snow in greystones today? We went over windgates this morning and it was okay although heading to bray is probably safer than heading to greystones. Hope its okay tonight.

there was a brief but heavy shower this morning, nothing since then.

(like yer name btw, Art...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Perhaps off topic but are the morning Darts being affected? Need to grab the 08.00 next Wednesday dye think I can safely assume that it'll run?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Jammyc wrote: »
    Perhaps off topic but are the morning Darts being affected? Need to grab the 08.00 next Wednesday dye think I can safely assume that it'll run?

DARTs have been running fairly ok. A few problems with signalling at Merrion Gates that have been causing delays last 2 days, but in general the DARTs are running fine.

Wouldn't be surprised though when the thaw starts if there are problems with mudslides around Dalkey/Killiney and/or Bray to Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

eigrod wrote: »
    DARTs have been running fairly ok. A few problems with signalling at Merrion Gates that have been causing delays last 2 days, but in general the DARTs are running fine.

Wouldn't be surprised though when the thaw starts if there are problems with mudslides around Dalkey/Killiney and/or Bray to Greystones.
    Cheers! yeah can see how that could be problematic. But Im sure IE will be all prepared for it!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Jammyc wrote: »
    Cheers! yeah can see how that could be problematic. But Im sure IE will be all prepared for it!;)

Keep an eye on the Commuter forum on this website too, there are often threads on the DART there : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=246

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Congratulations to all this mornings budding ice rally drivers who are again driving too fast on approach to the Superquinn roundabout. 6 cars and a couple of big 4x4 jeeps since 8am have either spun out or skidded sideways bumping into the curbs.
    One lady heading round to Superquinn did a 180 degree spin and ended up facing Charlesland Wood.

Well looks like we are back to the normal Irish winter. Rain / drizzle.
    Most roads look to have cleared up nicely today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

DK32 wrote: »
    Well looks like we are back to the normal Irish winter. Rain / drizzle.
    Most roads look to have cleared up nicely today

Yeah, it's horrible. Back to chaos traffic tomorrow :( But i'm confident it's not the end of the big freeze yet. February is normally a lot colder:)

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Thank God the roads are back to normal - It's so nice being able to drive in a straight line again... forgot what 4th gear felt like :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

Any update at the moment?

Have heard that it's bitterly cold and snowing heavily just beyond Glenealy to the point that someone has gone home!

Still blue skies in Greystones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

bluey/grey!!! It's raining at the moment...by the sound of the rain it might be trying to turn into hail...it's the flooding we need to worry about!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

****ty pissy rain/sleet, real Winter is over the Irish version is back.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

N11 really bad this morning, roads very icy and counted 4 accidents between greystones & Bray. Take care

• Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

n11 north of bray is not much better and the M50 is very very slow this morning (took me twice as long to get into work). Slip roads on/off the M50 are very slippy and saw a number of crashed cars on both sides of the road. GF works in city centre and said the N11 all the way into town is suffering a lot from black ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

EMPM wrote: »
    N11 really bad this morning, roads very icy and counted 4 accidents between greystones & Bray. Take care

My wife just rang and said its awful along the N11, bumper to bumper. Any chance you reckon someone at the council might bother to check the weather for gritting?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hi

I was on the N11...lethal out there...black ice so very difficult to see it.

Slow down & be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

SAR out of Greystones was lethal this morning from the Kilcoole roundabout up to the N11. Gardai had it closed for a while as a car seems to have spun into the central reservation and it was being recovered when I came upon the tailback.

Another biggie just after the Glenview flyover northbound - one car facing the wrong way up the N11 in the hard shoulder and another between the wire fence and the concrete boundary on the central reservation.

M50 was starting to tail back when I came off it at Sandyford, by the time I came onto the flyover at that junction there was no movement northbound and no movement on the Sandyford exit southbound.

Through Sandyford and on to Kilmacud there was feck all traction and in stop-start traffic that's no use at all.

Remember to go easy. The roads look wet, but they are icy and VERY slippy. Remember too to leave plenty of room between you and the car in front. You may not have any bother, but he/she might and you don't want to skid into the scene of an accident!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Did anyone see the car on (or beside...) the SAR leading up towards the N11? Seemed to be lying on top of trees, in the ditch facing the wrong way? Must have been doing a good speed to end up in there?

what a NIGHTMARE getting to work this morning - took me 45 mins to get from Charlesland to N11 turnoff at M50 :mad: And that was at 10am!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

Was shocked at the state of the roads this morning. The council didn't touch the N11 last night obviously. It was a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

what a NIGHTMARE getting to work this morning - took me 45 mins to get from Charlesland to N11 turnoff at M50 :mad: And that was at 10am!!!

It was not the roads at 10am that were the problem. I was there too and it was so slow from N11 Greystones up to just at the Glenview turn off and then it was grand after that.

Why? Because people insist on having a look at a car that is in the hard shoulder with a recovery van in front of it. Now I know there was a few crashes earlier in the morning but this was just a broken down Volvo with no bodywork damage whatsoever. It ridiculous, the traffic crawled all the way along and then as soon as everybody got their good look at a broken down car the traffic was clear ahead.

It really bugs me and its the same on the M50. A Garda car with flashing lights after pulling a car over can add twenty minutes to your journey with swan-neckers. Its a different story with cars ending up in a ditch facing backwards, everybody has a gawk at that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

jamegg wrote: »
    It was not the roads at 10am that were the problem. I was there too and it was so slow from N11 Greystones up to just at the Glenview turn off and then it was grand after that.

Why? Because people insist on having a look at a car that is in the hard shoulder with a recovery van in front of it. Now I know there was a few crashes earlier in the morning but this was just a broken down Volvo with no bodywork damage whatsoever. It ridiculous, the traffic crawled all the way along and then as soon as everybody got their good look at a broken down car the traffic was clear ahead.

It really bugs me and its the same on the M50. A Garda car with flashing lights after pulling a car over can add twenty minutes to your journey with swan-neckers. Its a different story with cars ending up in a ditch facing backwards, everybody has a gawk at that!

Rubberneckers are annoying but its chicken or the egg scenario. If they'd gritted the roads there wouldnt of been the accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jclare56

hey all,

it took me two and a half hours to get from greystones into town this morning - there was warnings on the radio about black ice, but on the n11 from cornelscourt there was none, yet it was bumper to bumper all the way to donnybrook!!

i left at half 7, so i can only imagine what the tailbacks were like into greystones - surely the roads should have been gritted? windgates for once was drivable...

fingers crossed for this thaw tomoro - i can handle snow but not ice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Disaster and disgrace. Was like a scrapyard at 7am-8am this morning. Like no one bothered to grit or salt N11 and M50 to firhouse. Nothing on news sites at present so no one will be held accountable. At least 12 vehicles wrecked and people hospitalised. UNBELIEVABLE(or maybe not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

To be fair Cuddlucavies, there were people driving like morons this morning. It's well and good to say roads should be gritted, but folk should take some responsibility for how they drive in such conditions.

Cars don't end up pointing the wrong way on the N11 if drivers take heed of the condition of the road.

Rather than bemoan the cocos and NRA for not gritting, why not encourage everyone you know to drive carefully.

This morning I couldn't believe the number of cars that would take up the space between my car and the next just because there was a gap I was deliberately leaving to allow for the condition of the roads. It's not like I was crawling along either, I was matching the speed of traffic ahead, but just being sensible about distance!

Looks like we are in for a freezing fog tonight, if you think this morning was bad, be prepared for tomorrow.

My advice, keep your distance, slow down and drive according to conditions. Most of all, don't rush anywhere. If your late your late, f**k it! Blame the weather & road conditions.

I think I will take the DART to work in the morning - No point risking it (I'm not worried about my safety - Its my car I worry about - Love it too much :D:D) I saw the state of some of the cars this morning and to think that could have been my car breaks my heart!!!!

May all my problems be small ones eh ? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

DK32 wrote: »
    Looks like we are in for a freezing fog tonight, if you think this morning was bad, be prepared for tomorrow.

My advice, keep your distance, slow down and drive according to conditions. Most of all, don't rush anywhere. If your late your late, f**k it! Blame the weather & road conditions.

I wouldn't worry about tomorrow, Temps are to rise over night.... It'll be wet though..

....... And now the rain!! FFS, can we have just one day where we don't have wind, rain, ice or snow??? Is it too much to ask?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

....... And now the rain!! FFS, can we have just one day where we don't have wind, rain, ice or snow??? Is it too much to ask?

I have made it so, Enjoy ! I have a tsunami coming on Monday.

God

Advertisement