Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substituting an elective module

Options
  • 06-01-2010 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Just looking on the ucd results website, it says that if you fail an elective module in semester 1 you can substitute it with a different elective module in semester 2. Does this mean it's a fresh start or will the academic penalty from the failed module carry over to the new module i.e. will your gpa still be capped?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Just looking on the ucd results website, it says that if you fail an elective module in semester 1 you can substitute it with a different elective module in semester 2. Does this mean it's a fresh start or will the academic penalty from the failed module carry over to the new module i.e. will your gpa still be capped?

Yep, the penalty is still there I'm afraid.

If you don't think you can pass your elective on the repeat/resit, or hate it, then it mightn't be a bad idea to change it. If you only just failed, I wouldn't bother, you might as well just repeat/resit instead of having to study a whole new module.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Actually, if you substitute a failed elective module for a different one, it's a fresh start ie the grade is not capped, but you have to pay a much higher fee, depending on the programme you are in.

the fees are here:

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/repeat/first_year.htm

A resit/repeat only costs €230

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 allnamesaregone

Anyone got any experience of this? I think it should be a fresh start because it is only an elective and because you pay a higher fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I thought a friend did what the OP was talking about and had his GPA capped... I must be mistaken.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I thought a friend did what the OP was talking about and had his GPA capped... I must be mistaken.
    You could be correct. There doesn't seem to be any info on the website about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Honestly, it's no wonder people don't pass modules if they can't even use "search" on the UCD website to find information :confused:

As i said before - it's a fresh start:

"When an option or elective module is substituted with another module, the attempt is treated as a first attempt. This means the repeat module is not capped, the full grade point is awarded and the suffix (R) is not applied."

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/repeats_and_resits.pdf

taz70 wrote: »
    Honestly, it's no wonder people don't pass modules if they can't even use "search" on the UCD website to find information :confused:

As i said before - it's a fresh start:

"When an option or elective module is substituted with another module, the attempt is treated as a first attempt. This means the repeat module is not capped, the full grade point is awarded and the suffix (R) is not applied."

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/repeats_and_resits.pdf
    Thanks! To be honest though searching UCD's website is needle in a haystack stuff because that information should be on the repeats page but it isn't!

Advertisement