Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed in Waterford?

• 06-01-2010 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭

Hey, does anyone know if any schools in waterford county are closed? Specifically St. Declans in Kilmacthomas? :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Why would they be closed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Well considering its snowing here with hours, and that most of the teachers in St. Declans come from places outside of waterford, wouldn't it make it very hard for them to get down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭paddypender

De la salle is closed anyway

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Well considering its snowing here with hours, and that most of the teachers in St. Declans come from places outside of waterford, wouldn't it make it very hard for them to get down?

Lovely. I am looking forward to my drive home this evening even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They were not due to reopen until tomorrow anyway, AFAIK.

• Advertisement

All schools in Waterford will be open according to this

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0106/schools.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

De la Salle definitely closed, college sent out texts earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 melly2010

does any 1 no if waterford youthreach is open 2moz ?:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

De la Salle definitely closed, college sent out texts earlier.

is that primary or secondary? or both do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

Does anyone know if waterpark secondary school is open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Ring WLR in the morning as all principals will notify them if their schools are open or closed. They'll announce it on-air but just in case you miss it.

WLR FM
    The Broadcast Centre,
    Ardkeen,
    Waterford City.
    Tel: 051- 872248
    Fax: 051-846148
    Email: reception@wlrfm.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Just heard from ursuline secondary teacher .school is closed in the city tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Ballygunner N.S. is closed until Monday. School sent text message to parents.

decies wrote: »
    Just heard from ursuline secondary teacher .school is closed in the city tomorrow.

all the schools in the city are closed? i got a call from a friend there who said her mother heard on wlrfm that the mercy was closed but i'm trying to ring wlr now to find out and can't get through

WLR FM seem to be reading out a lengthy list of all the schools in the city and county. Heard it twice on the way home so they will probably call it out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

St Pauls Community College confirmed as closed on rte.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0106/schools.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Paige Turner

snuggles09 wrote: »
    is that primary or secondary? or both do you know?

I only know that the secondary is closed, if I hear anything about the primary before the morning I will let you know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gav2k10

waterpark secondry school is closed

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mercy Primary OPEN
    Mercy Secondary CLOSED
    Mount Sion Secondary CLOSED
    Ferrybank Girls OPEN
    Abbey College CLOSED
    Presentation Secondary CLOSED
    Waterpark Primary OPEN
    Ursline Secondary CLOSED
    De La Salle Secondary CLOSED
    Ballygunner N S CLOSED
    St Pauls Secondary CLOSED

All read out on WLRfm in the last few mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Wheres the sense in closing the city secondary schools, but not the primary schools? Wouldnt a 15 year old be able for an icey path more than a 7 year old?

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »
    Wheres the sense in closing the city secondary schools, but not the primary schools? Wouldnt a 15 year old be able for an icey path more than a 7 year old?

thats ridiculous that the mercy primary is open when the secondary is closed..they are next door to each other on the same entrance nearly!makes no sence..I'd say the primary just hasn't given word yet.i doubt it'll be open

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hartyk87

That has just made my day/night, no college for me in the morning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Diver79

St Pauls primary closed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

thats ridiculous that the mercy primary is open when the secondary is closed..they are next door to each other on the same entrance nearly!makes no sence..I'd say the primary just hasn't given word yet.i doubt it'll be open

That's because the Secondary caters for a bigger catchment area including South Kilkenny,Kilmeaden,Butlerstown etc where as the primary would be mostly local surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

The decision to open or close might well be based on whether or not the staff could reach the school rather than being based on the children's ability to arrive.

Black Dog wrote: »
    The decision to open or close might well be based on whether or not the staff could reach the school rather than being based on the children's ability to arrive.

I dropped both my girls in to school and their teachers were out:confused: they are now in other classes doing nothing all day. i should have kept them home:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

anyone with kiddies in Waterpark have to collect them as per WLRFM.ie:

Waterpark School Has Rung To Say Due To The Water Supply Into The School Has Now Frozen He Will Have To Close The School And The Parents Are Asked To Collect Their Children - The School Will Remian Closed Tomorrow.*

*I didn't type this btw lol, I hope the Principal didn't either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

anyone with kiddies in Waterpark have to collect them as per WLRFM.ie:

Waterpark School Has Rung To Say Due To The Water Supply Into The School Has Now Frozen He Will Have To Close The School And The Parents Are Asked To Collect Their Children - The School Will Remian Closed Tomorrow.*

*I didn't type this btw lol, I hope the Principal didn't either!

The Principal of Waterpark primary school was interviewed by Billy McCarthy and admitted that it was 7am this morning when he became aware that the pipes were frozen. Plenty of time to notify parents rather than have them trek to school, accept them and then at 9.45am decide to close the school until next Monday and have to notify parents/minders to come back and collect their children. Cop on goes a long way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

deisemum wrote: »
    The Principal of Waterpark primary school was interviewed by Billy McCarthy and admitted that it was 7am this morning when he became aware that the pipes were frozen. Plenty of time to notify parents rather than have them trek to school, accept them and then at 9.45am decide to close the school until next Monday and have to notify parents/minders to come back and collect their children. Cop on goes a long way.

Well said, you'd wonder what do be going through peoples head sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

yeah thats annoying alright, the poor kids being dragged out in this cold and then sent home.

Although better they are safe then have a ceiling collapse on them or something, that happened over the holidays in a school up the country, a ceiling actually fell down when the principal was inspecting the place, doesn't bear thinking about :eek:

Advertisement