Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats wrong with this photo??? C&C

• 06-01-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

34FE6A2FBC7D433D86EDDA4B283DB062-800.jpg

A low of my other photos I took on this day didn't come out well and I am a little annoyed with it, a lot of them came out camera shook, but I could have sworn that they didn't look like they where when I previewed them on the camera, but I guess these are the breaks.

This is the only one that seems usable, but there's something wrong with it, and I can't quite put my finger on it, what do you guys think??? How could I have taken this photo better if I was to do it again.

This is straight from the camera, so no edit has been done yet, I am going to knock around with it now and see what I can do.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The focus seems to me to be on the back end of the lower jaw. I think it would be better if the focus was sharp on the mouth and eye. Just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

looks like the glass between the camera and geko? is causing some ghosting, just above his head and his eye is a ghost image and maybe near the the top of the frame too

your shutter speed is very slow at 1/10 sec so that would explain part of the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

problem is taking your photos through glass!
    take your gecko out the tank to get photos and don't rely on the screen on your camera to indicate whether a picture is a keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Its not my gecko, I took it in a zoo, I knew the glass would pose a problem for some of the shots because it was always going to be dirty.

I see what you mean by the ghosting, I never noticed that, but I guess that was because of the glass too.

I was only shooting with a D60 with the kit lens so I thought I didn't have the chance to get a faster shutter speed. Should I have changed the ISO, then do you think I would have been able to speed up the shutter, or was I stuck between a rock and a hard place with the camera and lens???

I might pick myself up a "Nifty Fifty", would that have been better in this situation???

I see what you mean about the focusing,, maybe the eye and top of the mouth would have been better and that only called for a slight turn of the focusing ring.

How is the composition though, is it any good, if I had got the technicalities of the photo down do you think it would have worked???

Also how would I have brought out the colours of his skin better???

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

I took it down, stuck it in Picasa - Auto-Contrast - saturation - warmify, and got rid of some of the haze from the glass in doing so.

Sent you the link and you can post it here if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

The shutter speed is a bit low. Though, i dont think it takes away from the image. I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I like the photo, its nice and close up

Add some more contrast a bit more saturation would help I think

ISO was already high at 1600, higher might be too noisy, you were zoomed in though with aperture of f5.6, if you had zoomed out you would have had a wider aperture and a faster shutter speed, but maybe the camera was steady enough like oshead says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

that little chap is so cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

01B9573305A8438684EAD190AF10A2FA.jpg

Thanks to SinisterDexter, this is the edit he did on it, I like it. Havn't got a chance to mess about with it yet, but should do in a while.

Ok so equipment and settings wise I couldn't have captured the image any better with what I had???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

The image quality isn't the best, but I like the photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Maybe a polarizing filter filter would help ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Chorcai wrote: »
    Maybe a polarizing filter filter would help ?

And could have lost two stops of light in the process?

Could have helped if the light was bright though, which it never is in a reptile house :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

landyman wrote: »
    And could have lost two stops of light in the process?

Could have helped if the light was bright though, which it never is in a reptile house :)

2 stops thats alot, I take it that applys to low levels of light or what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Ok so equipment and settings wise I couldn't have captured the image any better with what I had???

you could have used a faster shutter speed, as already said - that would have stopped all the other blurred shots for you.

Advertisement