Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Ceremony Weddings

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dawnymac

The unitarians will travel to your venue but you pay mileage - fair is fair.
    We've booked them for Wicklow next year

There is a 'chapel' on site in The Brooklodge Hotel, Aughrim where we will have the ceremony and the reception is at the same venue in another building.
    We intend to have a lot of churchy trimmings (for photos, walk down the aisle etc) but practically no god stuff in the ceremony.

Its legal as the unitarians are on the HSE solemisers list, so no civil ceremony needed. Also, they will do sat or sun weddings.

It's not for everybody but we can have everything we want without compromising or feeling like a hypocrite.

Thanks Eyescreamcone!

Your wedding sounds fab! Best of luck!

I contacted the Unitarian Church as it sounds like exactly what we're looking for but the person I spoke to said that Kerry would be too far. We'd have no problem paying for mileage etc. but it doesn't sound like an option for us unfortunately :(

I might try them again in a few months and see if they've changed their minds, our wedding isn't until Sept next year so I have a bit of time.

Thanks so much for your reply, best of luck with the big day!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

dawnymac wrote: »
    Hi IrishBird, my understanding is that Humanists are ceremonies are not legally binding, is that still the case? We are getting married in Sept 2011 and for various reasons are getting married on a Saturday. It looks like we will have to do a small registry office thing on the Friday and then hold some form of ceremony on the Saturday. It's not ideal but seem to be the only way of doing it if you aren't getting married "in the Church".

I'd love to hear if anyone has come up with any other ideas or alternatives!

yes they are legally binding:)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭hazeler

irishbird wrote: »
    yes they are legally binding:)

"Note: At present Humanist weddings do not carry legal status in Ireland and couples should make their own arrangements in this regard"

I took that out of this website
    Humanist Association of Ireland
    and they say it's not legal, alot of the wedding websites agree... Have you had a legal Humanist Ceremony???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

To anyone that has recently done a Civil Ceremony, could you please put up a time line leading up to your wedding?

Me and herself are getting married in Sep 2011, with the hotel booked, and place for the ceremony sorted, and now we're kinda stumped as to where we have to do next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

hazeler wrote: »
    "Note: At present Humanist weddings do not carry legal status in Ireland and couples should make their own arrangements in this regard"

and they say it's not legal, alot of the wedding websites agree... Have you had a legal Humanist Ceremony???

I didn't think they were legal either .... as far as I know, you need to get married in a registry office before or after and then it is legal, but the humanist part is really just a "blessing" asuch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

To anyone that has recently done a Civil Ceremony, could you please put up a time line leading up to your wedding?

Me and herself are getting married in Sep 2011, with the hotel booked, and place for the ceremony sorted, and now we're kinda stumped as to where we have to do next.
    well what do you mean by recent op. we got married away way back year and half ago, is that any good, its still in the head, as in asked sister-inlaw to be my brides maid, my god child to do none religion reading, got music sorted ,for our buffet meal in the evening,it was 4pm when we did our ''i do,s''..it was all in one place which was good. sort your readings, who,s who doing what,6 weeks before the cermony you have to send in the readings to the regristerer and if your doing your own they just want to have a look at them .month before get flowers sorted, and if your doing invites get them out around then,

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dawnymac

hazeler wrote: »

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement