Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College Green bus corridor still In effect?

• 06-01-2010 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭

Apologies if there's a thread on this, I can't find it through search.

Does anyone know if the College Green bus corridor is still in effect? That is, will I able to drive up Dame Street in the direction of Christchurch around 5 pm today?

I know there was talk of suspending it over the xmas period but not sure if this happened and/or is still ongoing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Only operational in the mornings until the end of the month as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1118/transport.html

Restrictions are being lifted from the College Green Bus Corridor in Dublin city centre from this evening.

However, the Corridor will remain active between 7am and 10am on weekdays.

For several months the new system, which at peak times only allows buses and taxis pass through College Green, has been in place.

Dublin City Council says the restrictions are being lifted due to concerns from businesses in the area over the impact the system is having on city centre trade.

The relaxation to the rules means that between 4pm and 7pm every evening cars and other vehicles will be allowed drive through the area without restrictions.

The Council is insisting that there is only a 'perception' that trade has been affected by the new corridor.

It hopes the decision to lift the restrictions until 15 January will help address those concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Ardent

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Just a reminder:

*COLLEGE GREEN BUS CORRIDOR* * The College Green Bus Corridor has been reintroduced between the hours of 4pm and 7pm following the temporary change over Christmas. • Therefore, the College Green Bus Corridor is now in operation again, Monday to Friday, from 7am to 10am, and from 4pm to 7pm. • During these hours, only buses, taxis and cyclists will be permitted to travel through the College Green Bus Corridor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭jaceq

Nice, let's kill all city center businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

jaceq wrote: »

Or maybe city centre businesses could view this as a business opportunity and join with Dublin Bus to launch promotions encouraging people to use the now faster public transport to and from the city centre rather than constantly bemoaning the project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

jaceq wrote: »

why does 100's of cars blocking up college green at rush hour benefit city centre business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

why does 100's of cars blocking up college green at rush hour benefit city centre business?

Because everyone drives to Grafton st., pulls over on Grafton st., runs into a shop, buys a couple of things, then gets back into their car which is parked outside. Or so the idiot retailers seem to think. :rolleyes:

I can't understand how businesses in the city think making the city more pedestrian friendly is a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Its nothing to do with businesses. Its traffic management and I noticed it started to get heavy again traffic wise yesterday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

gurramok wrote: »
    Its nothing to do with businesses. Its traffic management and I noticed it started to get heavy again traffic wise yesterday evening.

I've said it in previous threads on this, if you're coming from the Pearse Street direction the bus gate does have a negative affect on traffic trying to turn onto the quays, yesterday was worse alright than the previous 2 weeks. It will be interesting to see if it continues to worsen or if that's the peak due to the new bridge being now open

• Advertisement

Jip wrote: »
    I've said it in previous threads on this, if you're coming from the Pearse Street direction the bus gate does have a negative affect on traffic trying to turn onto the quays, yesterday was worse alright than the previous 2 weeks. It will be interesting to see if it continues to worsen or if that's the peak due to the new bridge being now open

A lot of that was probably down to people not realising the gate was back in effect until last minute.

Jip wrote: »

I am curious about this. Why is it having an effect? Traffic from Pearse Street always has to go via Tara Street and Burgh Quay as the stretch of Pearse Street outside the Garda Station is for buses, taxis and cycles only.

KC61 wrote: »
    I am curious about this. Why is it having an effect? Traffic from Pearse Street always has to go via Tara Street and Burgh Quay as the stretch of Pearse Street outside the Garda Station is for buses, taxis and cycles only.

Good point! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

KC61 wrote: »

More traffic on the quays backing them rather than the traffic flowing through CG and up Dame st?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

So its only westbound traffic(south quays) from Pearse st thats affected then.

The new bridge should of relieved most north bound traffic. Its either that or northbound people are clueless how to navigate to the new bridge to slash their journey times.

More traffic on the quays backing them rather than the traffic flowing through CG and up Dame st?

Possibly. Good point - it's difficult to know - I guess that a few weeks will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yip. As I said hopefully yesterday was as bad as it's going to get and won't return to the awful mess it was before Christmas with the bridge alleviating a fair bit of it.

Advertisement