Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin bus Pulling service @ 4pm?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

According to reports on the radio, the trains are running as normal- as is the Luas (although in a slightly reduced capacity and not to the Point). Also, the M50 is actually running ok - slowly but ok - as it's been gritted already. It's the city and the major arterial routes in and out of it that's the problem.

Best place to go for info right now seems to be Dublin City FM on 103.2FM as DublinBus.ie and AARoadwatch.ie are inaccessible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

the luas is only running as far as abbey street

From 02 / Connolly? 0.0"
    Alcatel wrote: »
    Isn't it really easy to open a bus? Just pull up that flap and press the button?

A bus robbing epidemic to follow ;) Though I dunno how you'd hide it...

(Not being serious, of course. Don't rob a bus.)

Getting in is 1 thing... starting the thing is another!

- Drav!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

the luas is only running as far as abbey street

Does anyone know why it can't run from Busaras to the Point? Did something happen (apart from the snow :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

From 02 / Connolly? 0.0
    - Drav!

from aa roadwatch:

** DO NOT MAKE ANY UNNECESSARY JOURNEYS AROUND DUBLIN.**Very heavy traffic around the city centre most major routes. Anyone travelling today is advised to use the train, DART or Luas.** * All Dublin Bus services are temporarily grounded. * Red Line Luas services are running from Tallaght to Abbey St only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Just said on Newstalk that the train to Sligo is stopped at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Its taken my brother 2 hours to get from UCD to Quinns in drumcondra. Its taken my other 3 hours to get from drundum to phoenix park by car. The second brother has abandoned his car in the phoenix park and has started to walk. I went to the shops to pick something up and traffic was pretty much at a stand still. Its simply not safe for dublin bus to risk the safety of their passengers plus i reckon its probably faster walking anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

G86 wrote: »

I'm just annoyed I can't get to the fecking gym now, meh!!:mad:

the city is at a standstill and your worried about going to the gym! lol :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

not worth going anywhere by car, just stay at home. Took me 2 hours to get from capel street to phoenix park. Trucks were unable to get up any kind of slope at all, roads closed or closing everywhere. The quays are like an ice rink

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

G86 wrote: »
    All Dublin bus are cancelled til tomorrow morning

Is this confirmed or just hear say? Any chance of the buses getting going again in the next few hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Is this confirmed or just hear say? Any chance of the buses getting going again in the next few hours?

"Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers that due to the recent heavy snowfall there is serious disruption to most services. There are dangerous driving conditions on all main city arteries and we are waiting for roads to be made safe before resuming services. We will have more up to date information available here as soon as possible.

Due to high volumes of traffic to dublinbus.ie we have been experiencing problems with the site for which we would like to apologise and are making every effort to rectify.

Last Updated 6th Jan 2010 - 15:00"

http://www.dublinbus.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

markpb wrote: »
    Does anyone know why it can't run from Busaras to the Point? Did something happen (apart from the snow :P)

There's no "turnabout" point (i.e trams can't change tracks) after Abbey St. (with the exception of connolly). Traffic will be hectic at busaras/amiens st, so probably best not for it to be held up by Luas crossings, hence no service after Abbey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Yeah just went out to the shop. People are crazy to go out in cars at the moment unless its essential. ( I saw one man driving out of his estate with a Christmas tree) !!! Like could he not hang on for a day or two?

Two buses abandoned at the top of Milltown Hill. Three cars stuck trying to get up the hill. Cars sliding everywhere. It was fine to walk in when I was out there but when all that slush starts to freeze there'll be no walking either.

To be honest I'd say emergency services are up their tonsils and doing the best they can. I'm surprised there hasn't been any fatalities up until now. Dublin Bus are right to suspend services. If there was a serious accident can you imagine how people would react?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

dolliemix wrote: »
    I'm surprised there hasn't been any fatalities up until now. Dublin Bus are right to suspend services. If there was a serious accident can you imagine how people would react?

the plus side of the bad weather is if people are driving slowly, the risk of fatalities is lower, so fingers crossed people are sensible and nobody even gets hurt....biggest risk IMO is trucks/buses slipping off roads and hitting walkers. people in cars should be safe anyway.

if all goes well, bar a few slight smashes, the amount/impact of accidents should be small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

As per rte.ie

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0106/weather.html

A spokeswoman for Dublin Bus was unable to put a timeframe on how soon bus services would get back up and running in the city. She said the decision to suspend services was taken just before 4pm.

The spokeswoman said in some areas, it may be possible to reopen Quality Bus Corridors as they get gritted.

In a statement, Dublin Bus says it is continuously monitoring the situation with An Garda Síochána and Dublin City Council.

It says all valid Dublin Bus tickets will be accepted for travel on Irish Rail and Luas services.

Dublin City Council says it has five gritting trucks out on the streets of Dublin at present.

A spokesperson said it is acknowledged that they are not as effective as they could be because of the volume of traffic on the roads in the city at the moment.

The council says it will have seven trucks out gritting between 3.30am and 6am and collectively they will grit more than 300km of roadway.

Meanwhile, a spokeswoman for the Dublin Airport Authority said they hoped to have flights back later today.

However, she added that air passengers were already facing delays because of conditions at British airports.

Met Éireann has issued a severe weather warning, with up to 5cm of snow forecast to fall in east Leinster today. Temperatures tonight are forecast to dip to -8C.

Schools around the country are deciding whether to open tomorrow as planned or to close as a result of the adverse weather conditions.

Gardaí are appealing to motorists to avoid all unnecessary journeys.

They have advised extreme care on all routes, particularly on secondary roads, in sheltered areas and in housing estates.

Bus Éireann has said that services in the east will be severely disrupted this evening because of the 'deteriorating weather and road conditions'.

Dublin Bus is facing severe disruption with reports that buses are having to pull over on ungritted roads. An announcement is expected from the company later this afternoon.

Iarnród Éireann has said that all rail services are operating despite the freezing conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Crap, I have to drive from Islandbridge to Dun Laorighe at 10pm, and drive back at 4am....

Should be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Got on the Dublin Bus website and it's still not updated... wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

I was out on Bridgefoot street earlier, mayhem cars spinning out of control all over the place, I'd advise against driving if at all possible

Yep I was out there just after lunch and had to push a car in front of me up a hill to get going. Some poor fella in a van couldnt get anywhere. Twas mayhem, especially with the young lads firing snowballs at everyone! I would avoid driving at all costs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

the city is at a standstill and your worried about going to the gym! lol :eek:

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

DBCyc wrote: »
    Yep I was out there just after lunch and had to push a car in front of me up a hill to get going. Some poor fella in a van couldnt get anywhere. Twas mayhem, especially with the young lads firing snowballs at everyone! I would avoid driving at all costs!

I helped by pushing a few stuck cars but it drew fire from the snipers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Kingp35 wrote: »

Yes it's confirmed as far as I know anyway, I work for a newspaper and we got a call earlier about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Always makes me laugh when people complain about the reaction to snow and ice in Ireland and compare it to how Scandiavian countries cope with much worse condition. Should we be spending hundreds of millions of euro of public money to cope with something that might happen once every five or six years?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

The dart/bus/aaroadwatch websites are all dying...

T-Square wrote: »
    Why would you want to? they are the least traveled section of road and treacherous. I saw a taxi driver fish-tailing this evening, while everyone else could keep it in the one lane.

I don't, I'm home and bus lanes aren't much use to me anyway. Just thinking if traffic is going to be mental will people use bus lanes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pulling service? I think Keira was looking for one of those...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Always makes me laugh when people complain about the reaction to snow and ice in Ireland and compare it to how Scandiavian countries cope with much worse condition. Should we be spending hundreds of millions of euro of public money to cope with something that might happen once every five or six years?

Quite clearly no. TBH we get so little weather-related disruption a few days a year isn't really going to hurt. People should just stay at home, that'd solve pretty much all the problems - the gritters could get to work too.
    Pulling service? I think Keira was looking for one of those...

I think you're thinking of Brummytom.

I think you're thinking of Brummytom.

Nah, he's self employed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Are the buses back? From the AA site:
    Dublin Bus services have resumed. However, there are some curtailments. See www.dublinbus.ie

Not that dublinbus.ie will let me see said curtailments :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Dublin Bus haven't updated their site since 12.45 today. It's a disgrace!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

RTE Drivetime were unable to get hold of anyone from Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Dublin Bus haven't updated their site since 12.45 today. It's a disgrace!

Dublin Bus' site have been overloaded since 12.45

Very hard to update a site that keeps getting crashed due to traffic (heh, ironic)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

dublin bus services resuming according to todayfm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

RTE Drivetime were unable to get hold of anyone from Dublin Bus.

They're a joke. A knee jerk reaction to let people off the bus (probably union driven!).

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0106/weather.html
    Dublin Bus, Airport suspend services
    Wednesday, 6 January 2010 17:17
    Dublin Bus suspended services this afternoon, while all flights to and from Dublin Airport have been suspended until 8pm.

A spokeswoman for Dublin Bus was unable to put a timeframe on how soon bus services would get back up and running in the city. She said the decision to suspend services was taken just before 4pm.

The spokeswoman said in some areas, it may be possible to reopen Quality Bus Corridors as they get gritted.

In a statement, Dublin Bus says it is continuously monitoring the situation with An Garda Síochána and Dublin City Council.

It says all valid Dublin Bus tickets will be accepted for travel on Irish Rail and Luas services.

Dublin City Council says it has five gritting trucks out on the streets of Dublin at present.

A spokesperson said it is acknowledged that they are not as effective as they could be because of the volume of traffic on the roads in the city at the moment.

The council says it will have seven trucks out gritting between 3.30am and 6am and collectively they will grit more than 300km of roadway.

Meanwhile, a spokeswoman for the Dublin Airport Authority said they hoped to have flights back later today.

However, she added that air passengers were already facing delays because of conditions at British airports.

Met Éireann has issued a severe weather warning, with up to 5cm of snow forecast to fall in east Leinster today. Temperatures tonight are forecast to dip to -8C.

Schools around the country are deciding whether to open tomorrow as planned or to close as a result of the adverse weather conditions.

Gardaí are appealing to motorists to avoid all unnecessary journeys. Read the RSA's safety advice for drivers.

They have advised extreme care on all routes, particularly on secondary roads, in sheltered areas and in housing estates.

Bus Éireann has said that services in the east will be severely disrupted this evening because of the 'deteriorating weather and road conditions'.

Dublin Bus is facing severe disruption with reports that buses are having to pull over on ungritted roads. An announcement is expected from the company later this afternoon.

Iarnród Éireann has said that all rail services are operating despite the freezing conditions.

Wintry showers forecast

More wintry showers are forecast in Dublin, Wexford, Wicklow, Meath and Louth today, after another very cold night of ice, sleet, snow and freezing fog.

There is heavy snowfall in parts of Co Carlow and Co Kilkenny.

Traffic is moving slowly on the Waterford side of Ballyhale, Co Kilkenny, this afternoon due to a lorry that jack-knifed there earlier.

There is snow on the N2 in Monaghan and secondary roads are still very icy especially across counties Kerry, Cork, Donegal, Monaghan, Cavan, Meath, Wicklow, Offaly, Kilkenny and right through Connacht.

County councils in the northwest say that all main roads have been treated and are passable.

However, secondary roads in many cases in Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal are still dangerous.

Sligo County Council has received fresh supplies of salt and says all main roads and Sligo town are fine, but the Strandhill Road is dangerous in parts and extreme care is needed on secondary roads.

In Galway, main roads around the city and county are passable but conditions remain icy in housing estates and on by-roads.

Gardaí in Castlebar are warning that secondary roads around the town and around Ballina have still not been gritted and remain dangerous.

Widespread disruption

Most roads in Cork and Kerry remain passable, although gardaí are warning of dangerous driving conditions on the N8 in Mitchelstown, on the Youghal by-pass, on the Cork to Mallow Road at Rathduff and around Bantry.

In Cork city there is ice on the road at Donnybrook Hill in Douglas and the area should be avoided.

Gardaí in Kerry say roads around Tralee and Killarney are particularly icy.

Meanwhile, Deputy President-elect of the Irish Farmers' Association Eddie Downey has called on the relevant authorities to rectify what he calls the 'inadequate response' to the cold weather.

Mr Downey said a road salting and snow-clearing plan must now be put in place.

He says that in the short-term, county councils should provide heaps of grit on roadsides that would allow local people to treat trouble spots.

The very cold weather could last at least another week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

ateam wrote: »
    They're a joke. A knee jerk reaction to let people off the bus (probably union driven!).

The roads were too dangerous! You're making it sound like they're the villains!
    Health and Safety became on issue. I saw the roads for myself - no way would I want to be on a bus going down the hill outside my house. It was like an ice rink at 3 o'clock. They're not going on strike ffs

Good call DB

Edit Dublin Bus on RTE now

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Weather Disrupts Bus Services
    Friday, January 01, 2010
    Dublin Bus are currently starting to resume limited service on main corridors where possible. In some areas buses may not be able to access suburban estates and are likely to stay only on main roads. We advise customers to travel as early as possible but to be aware that the bus services are severely disrupted not just due to the adverse road conditions but also due to traffic congestion and accidents during the last number of hours. Dart are providing an enhanced service and both Dart and Luas will honour Dublin Bus tickets.

Due to high volumes of traffic to dublinbus.ie we have been experiencing problems with the site for which we would like to apologise and are making every effort to rectify.

Last updated 17.25

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Dublin Bus' site have been overloaded since 12.45

Very hard to update a site that keeps getting crashed due to traffic (heh, ironic)

Granted, but if boards can have a robust enough server, etc why can't Dublin Bus? The withdrawal of services is one thing and probably for the best safety wise, but people seem rightly pissed off at DB's poor ability to communicate effectively across a range of mediums...until the last while.

ateam wrote: »

Bull****.

One accident with a busload of people is simply not worth it in my eyes.

Accidents are exponentially more likely to happen in the current driving conditions.

I say well done Dublin Bus, safety first.

This is not new news, people were told to make absolutely no journeys unless absolutely necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Granted, but if boards can have a robust enough server, etc why can't Dublin Bus? The withdrawal of services is one thing and probably for the best safety wise, but people seem rightly pissed off at DB's poor ability to communicate effectively across a range of mediums...until the last while.

maybe because boards business is the internet? DB do a good bus service, as for their website their server is not built to cope with the traffic.

do you complain about Boards lack of a bus service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

prendy wrote: »

No, but I will now! I demand a Boards bus to the next beers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

This is not new news, people were told to make absolutely no journeys unless absolutely necessary.
    People took no notice of this advice today, at 2pm today when the snow started to get really bad I had people on my bus heading into town to do a spot of shopping, asking me if they think the bus service will be on later.

We got people on here giving out they cant get to there gyms, others are busy bringing there christmas trees to the dumps, when will people start listening? absolute mayhem in town at the moment, My bus was sliding all over the shop at 2pm today, If I crash and people are killed Im the one that gets locked up. I wont be driving in it tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

prendy wrote: »
    maybe because boards business is the internet? DB do a good bus service, as for their website their server is not built to cope with the traffic.

Huuuhhhhhh!!! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Money Shot wrote: »
    Huuuhhhhhh!!! :confused:

Exactly.

Thread on it over here in the Limerick Forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement