Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Nationwide commuting/transport alert & info thread

• 06-01-2010 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

As the thread suggests I think it might be handy to have an open info thread on the transport situation this evening.

So if anyone has any news or queries on getting home tonight post here.

I'll get the ball rolling on what I know.

Roads are slushy but already very very busy, the Leopardstown roundabout @ brewrey road is very congested in all directions and on all roads.

req: Does anyone know about the situation with Luas greenline.
    I assume its running as normal?

Thanks all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

Obviously C&T boardsies stay at home all day. Anyway....

Sandyford area is now a huge ice rink. The road through Sandyford village is very icy and the hills at both ends are proving difficult to negociate since lunchtime when it all kicked off.

Wickham bypass icy.

The Rathfarnham area is also extremely icy.

The N81 from Templeogue to the M50 is bad, as is the on ramp there for the M50 northbound.

The M50 itself between the N81 and N7 has compacted ice in all lanes. The N7 southbound is similar.

Naas is a disaster. All approach roads are icy. You can actually hear it crunching under the car.

From my experience which started at 2pm in Sandyford and ended at 7pm in Naas, its like driving on crushed glass. Im not sure how effective overnight gritting will be. I guess the authorities will rely on early commuters to do the job for them in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Tallaght Road, N81 very icey.
    Use extreme caution around Tallaght Hospital, Cookstown, Springfield, Jobstown, Blessington Road, Killinarden, Aylesbury, Old Bawn, Kiltipper & Citywest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

req: Does anyone know about the situation with Luas greenline.
    I assume its running as normal?

Luas continues to run. It seems to be the only form of transport that has operated throughout the last week almost unhindered by the conditions.

As for the roads, strangely I had no problem driving from town along the Rock Road, Nutley Lane and the Stillorgan DC between 5pm and 6pm. Those roads were clear of snow/ice and traffic. It was slow from Booterstown Ave. outwards but that was due to problems beyond Stillorgan. Even the roads around my house are no worse than they were this morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

I am sitting this one out in relations house the Deansgrange region.However if any help is needed in this region you can contact me through this thread anytime tonight up to 2am.
    I have basic tools and spanners etc
    My own car isnt any use in this stuff its too light a Susiki Swift 1000cc front wheel drive with cheap crap tyres that skid easy.
    The main road Dublin to Bray is slushy with some exposed patches but the stuff is freezing over and getting crunchy

My brother left Clondakin at 4pm 1.5 hours very icy stuff to get to M50 but from the M50 to Clare hall was clear moving at 20mph average sometimes faster
    Malahide road to malahide icy patches but not too bad up to 1800hrs

Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wayne2107

Sandyford ind est was just a complete mess. We were pulled out of there at 2pm and told to return to base (Airport). Could not get near the M50 so went via Kilmacud Rd, Mt Merrion, N11, Ballsbridge, South Lotts, East Link, Port Tunnel, M50, Ballymun Rd, Northwood, Swords Rd.

Once I got out of Sandyford Ind est traffic was great until East Link. Very heavy on East Link, as was the tool booths at the tunnell. Slow coming out of the tunnell along the M1, M50 was fine but from the Ballymun Rd end of Northwood to the Swords Rd end took over an hour.

Left Sandyford 3:10
    Arrive Santry 5:05

Journey normally takes 40 mins via M50.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

wayne2107 wrote: »
    Sandyford ind est was just a complete mess. We were pulled out of there at 2pm and told to return to base (Airport). Could not get near the M50 so went via Kilmacud Rd, Mt Merrion, N11, Ballsbridge, South Lotts, East Link, Port Tunnel, M50, Ballymun Rd, Northwood, Swords Rd.

Once I got out of Sandyford Ind est traffic was great until East Link. Very heavy on East Link, as was the tool booths at the tunnell. Slow coming out of the tunnell along the M1, M50 was fine but from the Ballymun Rd end of Northwood to the Swords Rd end took over an hour.

Left Sandyford 3:10
    Arrive Santry 5:05

Journey normally takes 40 mins via M50.
    All things considered that was pretty quick. Took me double that to travel from Rialto to Goatstown this afternoon.

Advertisement