Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning TV to Pixmania

Options
  • 05-01-2010 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

My TV was changing channel on its own and would not stay in standby. I rang Samsung (manufacturer) support in Ireland and they could not fix and because it was out of warranty they could not send out an engineer.

I posted on another forum and was told to contact the National Consumer Association.

To cut a long story short, under the sale of goods act, Pixmania have to fix it.

However, they want me to send a 40" flatscreen tv to France to be repaired.

How on earth do I get it to them in one piece and who is responsible for shipping.

Anyone know the law of the land on this one please before i call them

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

hmm, what model is your samsung tv?
    I've noticed that when i turn on the tv and the xbox to start off for a using the tv for a few hours or what not, the tv seems to do the same, it would change to the dvt display, or change the volume a couple of times, and would keep bringing up the menu,
    now i don't really watch tv on it(spent 1,500e) 9 months ago and dont even watch tv on it! but I don't know weather its interferance with the xbox control(think they're bluetooth?) that is causing it
    this would stop happening after say 2/3 mins like as if it does this when the tv gets warmed up
    I'd advise you to search pixmana on this forum.. they have a really bad rep of not wanting to take items back, you best bet may be to bring it to a tv repair shop and fork out.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

I googled it and its a known problem with the model of samsung I have. From what I gather, I lose nothing by bringing them to the small claims court.

Not sure I am prepared to just put up and shut up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

sue97 wrote: »
    My TV was changing channel on its own and would not stay in standby. I rang Samsung (manufacturer) support in Ireland and they could not fix and because it was out of warranty they could not send out an engineer.

I posted on another forum and was told to contact the National Consumer Association.

To cut a long story short, under the sale of goods act, Pixmania have to fix it.

How on earth do I get it to them in one piece and who is responsible for shipping.

I've never had any dealing with Pixmania myself, but from a quick two minute look on their website it was clear what their returns policy and arrangement are.

For warranty repairs, they say to return the product to them (france it looks like) .. if it is indeed a warranty product they will refund the cost of shipping.

I find this reasonable enough, as imagine how much they would have to fork out having stuff collected all over europe on the suspicion of something being faulty.

When you make a saving by buying from a pan-european online reseller you can't expect to be able to treat them like a local retailer.

If you purchased the TV from PowerCity would you expect them to come and pick it up? I doubt it.

You'd better make sure you pack it up well and have the shippment insured, as if it arrives with Pixmania in a thousand pieces you will be at a total loss, as the contract with the shipper will be with you not Pixmania.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I googled it and its a known problem with the model of samsung I have. From what I gather, I lose nothing by bringing them to the small claims court.

Not sure I am prepared to just put up and shut up :)

yea but whats the model?
    wana know if its the same as mine..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posts split out into new thread

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Sorry to hear about your problem OP. But if you tv is out of warrenty as you say, pixmania might not cover the cost of shipping. How old is the TV? There is a 2 year eu warrenty on all electrical products as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yes, you are responsible for shipping (and cost of). Pack it well (very very well) and take picts before shipping. Send it using UPS/FedEx/DHL or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Have you tried upgrading the firmware to see if it makes any difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

If it's out of warranty sending it to Pixmania won't do you much good. How old is the TV? If it was still in warranty the way it works with an online retailer is that you send it to them (at your cost), they then repair/refund/replace as per consumer law and reimburse you the cost of shipping. You need to pack it well (i.e. the equivalent of the original packaging) and make sure you insure the full value with the shipping agent.

Just one of the risks of buying on the internet rather than a bricks-and-mortar shop unfortunately. Same with Amazon, Dabs, etc.

BTW not sure if you can take a French company to the small claims court.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

BTW not sure if you can take a French company to the small claims court.

SSE

You can take any company in the EU to the EU small claims court. The procedure is very similar to the procedure for the Irish SCS. All the details and an application form are here : http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/WebPageCurrentWeb/BE71CDF8FCA10C8C80257559005F5C59?OpenDocument&l=en

OP call the ECC (European Consumer Centre) for a definitive answer on who is responsible for shipping under the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

chilly wrote: »
    You can take any company in the EU to the EU small claims court. The procedure is very similar to the procedure for the Irish SCS. All the details and an application form are here : http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/WebPageCurrentWeb/BE71CDF8FCA10C8C80257559005F5C59?OpenDocument&l=en

OP call the ECC (European Consumer Centre) for a definitive answer on who is responsible for shipping under the circumstances.

That's interesting, anyone know of anyone who's enforced a judgement in another EU country?

In any case Pixmania are clear that they will refund shipping fees if the problem turns out to be a warranty issue. As it sounds like the TV is out of warranty anyway I'm not really sure what any small claim would be based on?

OP - let us know how you get on!

SSE

Ok, Pixmania have agree in writing to organise for UPS to pick up the TV and deliver it back to France.

They have offered me a refund (by email).

Just waiting for confirmation if they will send out packaging. If not I will package it as best I can but I want them to take responsibiltiy once its handed to UPS.

Their policies seem ok but their customer care are very hard to deal with -long queues, poor english etc.

The model number is Samsung LE40M86BD LCD Television (LE40M87BDX)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Just waiting for confirmation if they will send out packaging. If not I will package it as best I can but I want them to take responsibiltiy once its handed to UPS.

In this day and age it is most practical to keep packaging of all monitors,laptops,pcs etc as they do tend to break.Thinking they should be liable for your inaction and potential inadequate packaging of an electrical good is pretty naive.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

Make sure it is a properly packed. If it does get damaged in transit and it's not properly packed neither UPS nor Pixmania will take any responsibility. There is also no point in asking the UPS guy who picks it up as their opinion does not count. If the delivery guy doesn't give you some kind of receipt, get him to sign something to say he took delivery. Preferably some UPS headed docket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ok, Pixmania have agree in writing to organise for UPS to pick up the TV and deliver it back to France.

They have offered me a refund (by email).

Their policies seem ok but their customer care are very hard to deal with -long queues, poor english etc.

Deadeyes wrote: »
    Make sure it is a properly packed. If it does get damaged in transit and it's not properly packed neither UPS nor Pixmania will take any responsibility. There is also no point in asking the UPS guy who picks it up as their opinion does not count. If the delivery guy doesn't give you some kind of receipt, get him to sign something to say he took delivery. Preferably some UPS headed docket.

great they have sorted you out with a refund and collection of the tv op!

once they have arranged the collection they are respomnsible for any damage in transit but you must also ensure the tv is "properly" packaged! go to a local tv store and ask if they have any empty boxes for a 42inch tv and the polystyrene inserts to hold the tv in place. simply packing with paper or foam against the screen will cause more damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

foggy_lad wrote: »
    ...once they have arranged the collection they are respomnsible for any damage in transit...
    I think this is only true if it is packed to their standard.
    Here is an extract from a mail I got when I had to return something order on the Internet:
    Please pack the unit as well as possible so to avoid any transport damage on route back to us here in Germany, and in case of any damage we know that the courier is liable for it.For any further packing tips or instructions please visit the following link; http://www.ups.com/content/de/en/resources/ship/packaging/supplies/index.html UPS will not take any responsibility for damage in case one occurs if the parcel wasn't packed good enough for their standards no matter what the driver might say of the parcels sufficiency.

Some very important information:
    DO NOT in any case give out the parcel without the correct shipping documents.
    DO NOT give them the article(s) if you do not receive a document from them that proves that the delivery has been picked up by UPS and please KEEP THE RECEIPT !!!!

DO NOT in any case fill out anything for UPS. They should have a shipping label (readily filled with all the needed information) with them when they come for collection in case you haven't already received it from them.

The 1st may result in a loss of the goods. The 2nd may result UPS trying to charge you for the collection.

So there appears to be a bit of a get out clause. I've had to do this a few times and things have always gone smoothly. Sue97 you should have no problems.

Just to update - I got the email address of the md and contacted him. A customer service Mgr emailed me back.

At first she only offered to replace but when I pointed out that I had gotten an email from a Director offering a refund, she confirmed they would refund if it were faulty.

Its an intermittent problem so going to ring Samsung who diagnosed that it was faulty and get an email from then confirming its faulty.

Will update when I have the money back in my account but so far so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

TBH thats what you get when you purchase from DSG (Currys, PCWorld, PIXMania)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Pixmania

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We organise pick ups with UPS if an item is faulty during the warranty

This wasn't offered immediately as you were actually outside the warranty period.

Having looked into your case, we have been able to provide a solution.

Please don't hesitate to contact us on : mediator_ie@pixmania.com

Best regards,

Kate
    Mediator Pixmania

Pixmania wrote: »
    Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We organise pick ups with UPS if an item is faulty during the warranty

This wasn't offered immediately as you were actually outside the warranty period.

Please don't hesitate to contact us on : mediator_ie@pixmania.com

Best regards,

Kate
    Mediator Pixmania

Just to update we got our refund from Pixmania.

Perhaps in future as Kate seems so helpful, Boards members who have a problem with pixmania should contact her directly because words fail me in describing how frustrating the customer service department are to deal with :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Nah just best avoiding buying from a company with a terrible reputation and non existent CS.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Nah just best avoiding buying from a company with a terrible reputation and non existent CS.

I think that is a bit harsh against a company that refunded for an out of warranty item. I think they should be congratulated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

danjo wrote: »
    I think that is a bit harsh against a company that refunded for an out of warranty item. I think they should be congratulated.
    For doing something they are required to do by law?

Pixmania wrote:

mediator_ie@pixmania.com

Best regards
    but it was outside of warrenty so he should be delighted
    Kate
    Mediator Pixmania[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

I was going to put this in the post, registered, straight to the top, until I tried to find Pixmania's head office address (and a name, even), but could only find forum threads such as this, full of people unable to find it.
    Rather than completely waste all that time & energy, I'm just posting it here instead. It might be some contribution to saving someone from wasting their time (I recently adopted the word 'timesink', and it's come in handy already).

And anyway, sending it somewhere might help me feel a little better.

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

M..., ............... ..................... (Pixmania head-office-wallah) M......
    ....... blah blah
    .......(address)

Dear M.... ........,

I'm addressing this to you for two reasons.
    First (and most urgent), I don't know where else to turn, having failed to get the information I need from Customer Services.
    Secondly, there may be a flaw in Pixmania's office procedures that you're not aware of. It's possible that my problems have been due to some mistake I've made (it's hard to tell), but something at the Customer Services end is causing the staff not to answer the query that they're apparently replying to, but to answer some other one. If the staff aren't aware of a problem it could be going unnoticed, as customers with less tenacity would be inclined to simply give up, and sound off to other people instead. That would be a shame for a company that's given me exemplary service apart from this matter.
    I composed the following reply to the latest email from Customer Services, but didn't send it. I've been going round in circles with this, and couldn't face another round. Especially if something is going to prevent the Customer Services people from reading it.
    This draft email should serve as a summary of my problem (the email it replies to is at the top). I enclose copies of the whole correspondance with Customer Services, in case it helps to track down the problem. They're under the titles Re Customer Care Request [nnnnnnn], Re Re Customer Care request [nnnnnnn] and Re Customer care Request [nnnnnnn]. The different numbers may be because I went back to the original onsite customer care form at one point, to appeal for someone to read my emails.
    Meanwhile, could someone just give me the info requested below?
    Thanks.

Yours ....ly

xxxxxxxx.

........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Customer Care PIXmania wrote:
    >
    > Dear xxx xxx xxx,
    >
    > Thank you for your email.
    >
    >
    >
    > We apologise for the trouble with your product.
    >
    >
    >
    > As you have been informed in previous emai, fill out the return coupon infull and sign it (returns will not be dealt with without it). Explain exactly why you are returning the item and also include a copy of the invoice inside the parcel.
    >
    >
    >
    > The returns coupon is now found on line. Please go to the order tracking on our website http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/c_action/mon_compte/index.html. Enter your email address and your password.
    >
    >
    >
    > Once you have this number please ensure that the returns number is clearly visible on the OUTSIDE of the parcel you wish to return. Please put the return coupon itself inside the parcel.
    >
    >
    >
    > We recommend you return the item with Standard registered mail.
    >
    >
    >
    > Please ensure that the return address for the product is:
    >
    >
    >
    > Pixmania Returns
    >
    > Centre deretour FV
    >
    > Chez Wincanton
    >
    > Bâtiment B
    >
    > Avenue de la commune de Paris
    >
    > Zac de la maison Neuve
    >
    > 91226 Bretigny sur Orge
    >
    > FRANCE
    >
    >
    >
    > Once the item has been registered in our ware house it will then under go a standard technical inspection and then the item will be repaired.
    >
    >
    >
    > We expect a delay of approximately 1 month from the date we received your goods here.
    >
    >
    >
    > Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.
    >
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Your customer care agent
    >
    > If you would like to contact us again concerning this query, please reply to this e-mail and make sure you leave the reference number, [187999-1266262804], in the subject of you e-mail.
    >
    > You can contact our Customer Services team from Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm:
    > - For questions concerning information on the website, products or orders you've already placed, please contact us on 01 659 0282 (Calls charged at national rate).
    >
    >
    .......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

You tell me you've said this before. I know that - It's one of the things I've spent the last 3-4 weeks trying to get some clarification of (and that link still doesn't work).

I've been asking Pixmania these things since February 21st. Nobody seems to have read my emails, so it looks as if I'll just have to start again. It'll take some work to explain everything again, so can somebody please read this?
    .......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    To clarify, I have 2 documents so far that have something to do with returning the printer. Pixmania emailed them to me on February 16th, to print out. I'll call them A) and B).

A) is a rectangle that contains the return address (bottom right), my surname and 2 numbers (left) and another number and a barcode (top right).
    It looks like an address label; but I'm not sure if it is, because of what Pixmania says elsewhere.

B) is a page with a number & barcode at the top right. At top left is my surname, 2 numbers and Product Return Date which is February 16th. Under it is a box, naming the product (Stylus Photo PX700W Multifunctional Printer), serial number (blank), delivery date (19th May 2009), and Refund Reason (Zen Engagement (CAT)). Then there's my own delivery address Then some instructions to include a copy of the original invoice, and 'this returns coupon' (document B) inside the parcel, and to write clearly my return number on the outside of the parcel, and also on the inner printed pages. Under that are some Special Conditions, and a space for signature and date.

Where do I find the return number that I have to write?
    What is/are the other inner printed page(s) that I have to write it on (in addition to document B)? Do they include ducument A)? Neither of those can contain inner printed pages, as each is only half a page long.
    I was told (I've lost track of where) that the document(s) that are to go on the outside of the parcel musn't be fixed to the manufacturer's box. That seems to mean that I should add some outer wrapping. So where do I put the documents that are to go inside the parcel? Do I put them inside the printer manufacturer's box? Or do I put them outside the manufacturer's box (though not fixed to it of course), but inside the outer wrapping that I'll put round the box? Or do I put some document(s) in one place, and some in the other? If so, which document(s) go where?
    I can't find any piece of paper that says 'Invoice'. I've found 3 documents from the original purchase, which are; the order summary emailed to me, dated 13/5/2009; an email saying the order had been dispatched (no date in it, but received 16/5/2009); and a printout of a web page, headed 'Pixmania' and dated 13/5/2009, with details of the order, including my address, but not Pixmania's.
    Is one of these an invoice?
    If not, is there some way I could get another copy of the invoice, so I can put it in the parcel?

Re the email that documents A and B were attached to;
    It says that one of them is a 'coupon' and the other is a 'returns number'. Which of those is A, and which is B?
    It says to sign & date the returns coupon and attach it to the parcel. But doc. B, which calls itself a returns coupon, expresses a desire to go inside the parcel. Which is correct? (Or is doc. A the returns coupon, after all?)
    Your website calls doc. B) a Returned Goods Voucher. So presumably this document is sometimes called a Returned Goods Voucher, and sometimes called a Returns Coupon?

About a minute later on the same date, you sent me a second, different email (without attachments), which I haven't been able to understand either.
    It says to fill out the return coupon in full and sign it, and that I have to go on the website to get it.
    Does this mean that I need a 3rd document from Pixmania, as well as A & B which I already have? I can't tell if the online one is different, as I can't find it. I logged in at the link as directed, but couldn't find anything about a returns coupon. There's an After Sales Service button against the printer details, but it only leads to something about the USB lead that I bought separately at the same time. It's the same with the link in the email I'm now replying to (again). And no luck with searching the whole Pixmania website for returns coupon, coupon, return coupon, return number, returns number, online return coupon or returned goods voucher.
    The email says the online return coupon is to go inside the parcel, but I don't know if it's the same as doc. B, as I don't know if doc. B is to go inside or outside. 'Filling it out in full' sounds different from doc. B, which only requires a date and signature.
    The email then says 'Once you have this number....' Does that mean I have to get the document from the website in order to get my returns number?
    It also says to explain exactly why I'm returning the item. Do I write this on one of the 2 documents I already have, or on some other one? Or with a separate letter? And in which layer of the parcel, or does it go on the outside?

Both emails tell me what address to send the parcel to (though the address in the second email has 2 more lines).

Also, I still need to know if the refund voucher is definite, or if it depends on the results of the testing? I can't afford to gamble over €80 in postage on what the answer is to a simple question that anyone in Customer Service must know.

All I'm trying to do now is to get clarification on which documents are required to return an item to Pixmania, and the other related queries (above) about them. I don't need to be told any more times about the other packing requirements, or what address to send it to, and I don't need any more copies of the email I'm now replying to.

In case you refer to my February 21st email, the queries there that aren't in this email (that I'm writing now) have been answered.

Yours xxxxxly,
    xxxxx xxxxx..

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

3 days after the above posting, I started a seperate thread about it. The day after that, I had an email from a Pixmania mediator, who has now arranged collection by their courier, estimated this Mon/Tues.
    But I'm not out of the wood yet; update in the other thread if anyone's interested, at
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65008345#post65008345 .

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Have the same tv myself. Last week it lost sound and when I connected anything via hdmi it just turned itself on and off continuously.
    Had bought it in powercity just under 3 years ago at a cost of 2000 euro.
    Rang Samsung who said to bring it back to powercity and they would collect it.
    Powercity charges 40 euro, non-refundable, to get it sent to the engineers, who then ring with a quote to fix it.
    Still haven't heard anything back from Samsung and after reading of the problem the wife went up to them asking for a replacement, citing small clams court etc. She said the manager was very nice but informed the chances of getting a refund/replacement were next to non-existent, and that it was a common problem with that model tv:(
    Just waiting to hear back from Sammy now to see what the damage is (manager said it was usually around the 140 euro mark)

Advertisement