Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snow - ALL EXAMS RESUMING AS SCHEDULED AS OF 12TH JANUARY

• 06-01-2010 4:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

hows the snow up in maynooth, im travelling frm laois for the exams :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Must be bad enough,I have just got an email to say the Library is to close at 5pm today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Christ, this isn't funny anymore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 wiki

lets all just hope the exams get postponed, i need another week :( damn procrastination!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

wiki wrote: »
    hows the snow up in maynooth

Snow's fine: deep, crisp, even, although the sky has cleared and looks set for a big freeze tonight. Traffic looks a bit mad, on the road from the m'way, at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭token56

Snowed a nice bit today. Just be careful on the motorway, especially after the kildare exit. Although I dont think any of it will be great. Roads from the motorway to maynooth are not that bad I think. Well they were gritted when I drove up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

wiki wrote: »
    hows the snow up in maynooth, im travelling frm laois for the exams :(
    Very bad but passable if you drive slow, seen some eejits trying to make their wheels spin in the snow and they got stuck and had to push their cars out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Could the weather delay the exams? Has anyone heard anything about the possibility of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

I have an unbelievable urge to toboggan down the footbridge.

I imagine if the weather holds up like this the earliest exams might be put back, but I'd be surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 jrd_old

I was wondering about this myself.. i reckon if they are going to postpone the early ones they should email everyone by tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

I reckon once the invigilators can make it in, then the exams won't be postponed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 KGA333

Dublin Bus has been grounded. There are serious delays to trains. I know there are a lot of students that are already up but surely they cant expect people to travel in this? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Do the exams start on Saturday? My first one isn't til the 14th so I'm not sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

KGA333 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus has been grounded. There are serious delays to trains. I know there are a lot of students that are already up but surely they cant expect people to travel in this? :confused:

It's not the apocalypse, it's a bit of snow :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 alexi_mcg

My first exam is friday, think that's the first day.

I rang the examinations office earlier and they said they've no intention of postponing exams - I was basically told if you can't make it you've to repeat in Aug...end of. The woman I was talking to said a lot of the staff have been able to get in and there's a lot of students on campus (maybe because they live there?!) so she said there was no reason for the exams not to go ahead. I think it's asking for trouble having thousands of students, many of whom are inexperienced drivers, travelling in this kind of weather when there is the option of exams being postponed. Not to mention the fact that a lot of bus services are not operating and not all trains lead to maynooth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Exams start on Friday, It is not the snow I am worried about,it is the Ice on the foot paths and the roads,the paths where I live have already frozen over as have the roads.Taxi fares are normally €40-€50,if the cars have to drive half as slow this will be one expensive week ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I have to drive up from Leitrim on Sunday, would we be told before that if they moved exams, I don't want a wasted trip in this weather.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    It's not the apocalypse, it's a bit of snow :confused:

yeah but not everyone lives in Maynooth or on a train line to Maynooth. When the buses dont run its not accessible :(

It is only a bit of snow and other countries can manage just fine, not here it seems but thats not my fault. I see over on the weather forum that more snow showers are due the nights before two of my exams...could be repeating in Aug :(

check out this:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63831735&postcount=92
    My bus was sliding all over the shop at 2pm today, If I crash and people are killed Im the one that gets locked up. I wont be driving in it tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

Someone should email Brian Murphy or Liz, see what they're doing about it.

I've always said it, people forget about the SU too easily.

Someone should email Brian Murphy or Liz, see what they're doing about it.

I've always said it, people forget about the SU too easily.

already done dude, if more do then it might be worth something

Sorry, but I don't think anyone realises how big an operation these exams are. Even the slightest hiccup fecks things up royally. Move the exams back a few days and it's a logistical nightmare. This weather has been around for weeks. Anyone leaving it to the last minute to come up for exams is asking for trouble.

• Advertisement

Its not the apocylypse but the problem is a bit of snow causes big problems in this country. I cant go outside my front gate for a walk let alone drive. Its too icy and not gritted. no buses operating or trains leaving from my area and I definitely wouldn't drive in this so in this case the bit of snow is really causing probs with my efforts of getting to Maynooth:mad:

logistical nightmare versus serious risk to people travelling?? As for leaving it too late, it wasn't anywhere near this bad until yeaterday. There was no advance forecast saying it would get this bad.

Anyone leaving it to the last minute to come up for exams is asking for trouble.

What do you mean, not everyone lives in Maynooth

Obviously not but you hardly have a 7 hour commute or something? Sure, local roads are bad but Maynooth is served by a motorway and what not. I have sympathy for people obviously but the exams won't be postponed and it's best to start thinking about how you'll get up rather than moaning about it on the net!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

It snowed here new years day, same snow is on the ground since, got a light dusting of snow the other night then more snow today.... that didn't amount to much to. Kilcock Road is ok & so is the Moyglare road up to Moyglare hall when driven on with extreeemmmme patience, cos they ent the easiest roads to gauge if any of ye are heading back for college on them roads to accomodation.

Roads around are all driveable so can't see them postponded exams.

Obviously not but you hardly have a 7 hour commute or something? Sure, local roads are bad but Maynooth is served by a motorway and what not. I have sympathy for people obviously but the exams won't be postponed and it's best to start thinking about how you'll get up rather than moaning about it on the net!

Exactly

I'm 2 hours away from Maynooth on a good day. Aside from what the roads are like toward Maynooth, around here a lot of the routes have been closed, secondary roads are impassable, and theres a long drive ahead of me before I ever get near the Motorway. Its genuinely very very difficult to get around here to get out on a main road so its very unfair that students should be expected to try make it up for exams on fri. The NS are all closed, buses aren't operating, trains, flights are delayed. Very little we can do.

Can I just say that exam time tables were handed out before Christmas. We knew Christmas week there was going to be snow every where, we knew last week the roads were going to get worse, we knew this weekend there was going to be no change to the weather and that any parts not affected with snow were due to get snow this week. It's on students on backs to plan ahead to insure they are available to sit the exams.

Many students have been flooding back since Saturday here to Maynooth as they had been paying attention to weather conditions and had a fear of train and bus disruptions. In the eyes of the college they will see it the same, there was plenty of warning out there to access means of transport to insure you got to Maynooth in good time to avoid weather delays.

And those worried about the paths here, yes they are icey but you can walk them no problems with decent footwear. Only down side is the kids are lurking everywhere with snowballs and tend to aim for the ears!! Ohhh and any of ye smoking in the car, have the window down as little as possiable, cos they have also mastered the art of firing snowballs into driver's faces if the window is any more than half way down!!

KGA333 wrote: »
    I'm 2 hours away from Maynooth on a good day. Aside from what the roads are like toward Maynooth, around here a lot of the routes have been closed, secondary roads are impassable, and theres a long drive ahead of me before I ever get near the Motorway. Its genuinely very very difficult to get around here to get out on a main road so its very unfair that students should be expected to try make it up for exams on fri. The NS are all closed, buses aren't operating, trains, flights are delayed. Very little we can do.

Come up tomorrow so, stay in a mates house. Drive up during the day or something. The exams won't be postponed however unfair you think it is! Sounds harsh I know but it's the reality of the situation. Don't think that if you don't turn up on Friday that Peter Carr or someone will have you not repeating in August cause that won't happen!! You will have to repeat no matter what!!

• Advertisement

Going tomorrow during the day, is no better an option. I'm not sure that people living close to Maynooth and around the Dublin region where gritting is widespread are fully aware of how bad the situation is down the country. Our roads aren't gritted like the motorways and national routes closer to cities and big towns. The resources simply aren't there to supply a sufficent service to those in the Country.

Advertisement