Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snow - ALL EXAMS RESUMING AS SCHEDULED AS OF 12TH JANUARY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Holsten wrote: »
    Lucky bastards having their exam on the Monday then, more study time for them.... joke!
    Bit of a pain actually, I'll have half of what I've studied for the exam now, forgotten by the time it comes round :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Anyone have an offical link to this yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭astroguy

If your other commitments outside college interfere with your ability to be here early, is that not your problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

collegemum wrote: »
    Just cos you live in Maynooth:rolleyes:

You obviously haven't experienced trying to get around via car or broken down trains - deal with it

I don't live in Maynooth, I live in the back arse of nowhere outside Celbridge, where the CC haven't gritted our roads once.

I don't drive but I've had to accompany my mother in the car several times this week and she has struggled with the roads, I'm not thick, I know how bad the roads are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I've an essay due Monday. I assume I still have to get it in... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

I don't live in Maynooth, I live in the back arse of nowhere outside Celbridge, where the CC haven't gritted our roads once.

I don't drive but I've had to accompany my mother in the car several times this week and she has struggled with the roads, I'm not thick, I know how bad the roads are.

TBH Celbridge is'nt even that far. I had to do my shopping yesterday (a 5min drive) and i got badly stuck on ice and it was very dangerous.
    To drive from much further afield obviously would be worse - alternative arrangement may = end up in a ditch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MTAR

Saying that there should have been an all or nothing stance on these tests I dont think is fair. Majority of people rely on either commuting whether it by their own car, train or bus. If these services are cancled (obviously train and bus) then how can you expect tests to go ahead?

I had a test on monday and would have preferd to get it over with than to wait an extra few days! Now I have 2 tests near the end (My two hardest ones at that) and am not too happy about it but fully understand the decision to put back tests. For people to have to resit tests just because they dont live in the maynooth area or dont have a car is unbelievably unfair. NUIM made the right choice here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Actually Celbridge have many backroads and 'country' parts where houses are fairly isolated, Ardclough etc are supposedly a death trap at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Snow > exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I can see where you are coming from allandanyways, but for many, it is not just about getting themselves there and back. Many have childcare to think about also.

I would not ask my childminder to travel to me on Monday in the predicted conditions, nor would I put my children in the car and travel to her, not knowing when I would make it back. I appreciate that the majority of the student body are not parents, but I know many in first year music and med/celt alone, that are.

Maybe I'm just a mammy magnet.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

A sensible decision by the college imo. I know some people will be annoyed about exams being pushed back but its a small price to pay for the safety of students.

Also, as people clearly didn't "see" my last post...

No sarcastic comments!

No sniping!

No petty arguments!

BEHAVE!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Actually Celbridge have many backroads and 'country' parts where houses are fairly isolated, Ardclough etc are supposedly a death trap at the moment.

But that's exactly the point. The roads are very dangerous, and public transport is unreliable. That's why it makes sense to postpone the exams.

It is, you can't even pull out of your drive without skidding everywhere or sliding backwards. No grit at all this week it's fricking ridiculous, currently relying on the stones coming lose from the poorly tarmac'd road as grit at the moment...

Only in Ireland could the "University of the Year" (as they keep reminding everyone) decide "Ah sure we'll see how the snow goes, then maybe we'll cancel a day of exams". Forecasts since the New Year said it was going to be this bad like.

LeixlipRed I'd be interested to hear your take on it, seeing as you know loads about the inner workings of the exams and all (it's like being in the staffroom)

petty arguments? I would say its a fairly important argument, judging by the number of posts in the last half hour.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    There was no extra people absent this morning in first year geography in main sports hall anyway. If there's going to be really bad weather Sunday they need to call off exams now if they're going to do so. Not Sunday afternoon or something. Plus this cold weather kills off any enjoyment invigilation actually has :(
    LeixlipRed wrote: »
    If the college recieves advice that the weather is only going to disimprove before Monday then some exams should be cancelled I reckon at this stage. The extreme temperatures make already unreliable trains even more unreliable I'd imagine and if they're not operating effeciently enough then it calls into question the ability of the majority of students to get to exams safely. On the other hand, CIE is a shambles and this could happen in the summer too with a train breaking down so who knows?
    There you are ;)
    LeixlipRed I'd be interested to hear your take on it, seeing as you know loads about the inner workings of the exams and all (it's like being in the staffroom)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

Exactly my point, and therefore there are obviously many areas like this - making travel harder from remote areas further away than Celbridge.

If houses are isolated so close to Maynooth - the further away you are the worse the situation

astroguy wrote: »
    petty arguments? I would say its a fairly important argument, judging by the number of posts in the last half hour.

Petty arguments refers to arguments amongst one another about 'spare time' etc, and accusing each other of not being prepared and whatnot. I'm quite aware that the main argument here is about exams and whether or not they should be cancelled.

However if you wish for this conversation to continue with me about the meaning of petty arguments, I'm open to PMs. Such arguments, as stated earlier, are NOT to continue in this thread.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Anyone confirm what the news said?

First time driving in the snow yesterday I saw a dude completly destroy the front of his mercedes coming home form my exam and lots of people skiding around the place on corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

sadie06 wrote: »
    I can see where you are coming from allandanyways, but for many, it is not just about getting themselves there and back. Many have childcare to think about also.

I would not ask my childminder to travel to me on Monday in the predicted conditions, nor would I put my children in the car and travel to her, not knowing when I would make it back. I appreciate that the majority of the student body are not parents, but I know many in first year music and med/celt alone, that are.

Maybe I'm just a mammy magnet.:)

same here, my daughter goes to the on campus creche and even they cant guarantee (sp?) that they can take her on days of exams because of the staff/child ratio. and if the water is affected they cant take her at all. the creche is advertised as a convenience for parents in college but if they're not even able to cater for kids at the time they're needed most when it costs enough for the service then they should contact smeone in the college to explain the situation. i think if services like that are affected on campus then they really should re-evaluate things. not just the creche, but also the library has been shut early and staff cant get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Once again NUI Maynooth shows itself to be a shining example of management...who the fook decided to tell RTE before informing the students? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Question,what are the odds of the repeat fees being waived for anyone who has now missed an exam due to the weather.

Kazuma wrote: »
    Once again NUI Maynooth shows itself to be a shining example of management...who the fook decided to tell RTE before informing the students? :confused:

+1. It was announced 50 minutes ago on the RTE website and still no announcement. NUI Maynooth really have their priorities in order...

cian1500ww wrote: »
    There you are ;)

I was asking LeixlipRed for his opinion now that Monday's exams have actually been cancelled. I know what he already said, thank you.

I was asking LeixlipRed for his opinion now that Monday's exams have actually been cancelled. I know what he already said, thank you.
    Sorry, took you up wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 HarleyQuinn

While I'm a bit annoyed about missing my next exam on Monday I am glad the college has decided to postpone them.
    Even today, just walking up was hellish in the snow-oh and thanks to the nice man who laughed when I fell on the footbridge, really made my day! So my sympathies go to anyone who actually has to drive on those roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭jojo86

To all those who can make it you have to stop being so unfair to those of us who can't. there are some people who can't even manage to get a way up to be there early and those who can't afford to stay up there and those who need to get home after. The incident today with the train was bad for everyone on it and proves how bad things are. Yes it's only a bit of snow but the country is hardly prepared for it with grit and everything running out. It's not about moaners getting their way, the college has to make sure people are safe and this includes students and staff. All the snide remarks are unfair, people have enough stress without feeling like crap just because the weather has messed them up. If you live in an area where it's easy to get to the college of course your going to be pissed off but take a moment to understand other peoples circumstances and if you are prepared for monday's exam well then sit back and relax and prepare for the next one and by the time this one comes round you'll only have to re read notes. I have a way back to carlow town today to make the bus monday and was lucky to hear it's been cancelled otherwise I would have had a wasted journey. People who live beside the place arn't the only ones put out ok commuters are prepared for the exam as well and it's been postponed. Obviously it's a nationwide issue and they have to realise the importance of safety.
    I say fair play to the college for making a tough decision but students who commute have been trying to make tough travel decisions all this time as well. The weather is def. going to get worse and I think the only way to do things is to play it by ear. No one is responsible if there is an accident and no one deserves blame but it is better to be safe than sorry and would be tragic if anything happened to anyone because of failure to observe weather warnings. And so what if the exam is postponed, other colleges can do it so it's a once off thing in extreme circumstances. I think no ones wants to have to ruin their summer by having to repeat in august but people are having no alternative but to make that decision.
    Sorry again for ranting but I'm sick of the divide on this site, at the end of the day it comes down to everyones safety. I don't think people within the range of the college understand just how bad it is and it's been way worse in the west for far longer, try see it from other peoples point of view and just realise that it's better to be safe than sorry...Good luck to everyone and be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

theres an announcement on moodle, tiny thing underneath webmail link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

jojo86 wrote: »
    To all those who can make it you have to stop being so unfair to those of us who can't. there are some people who can't even manage to get a way up to be there early and those who can't afford to stay up there and those who need to get home after. The incident today with the train was bad for everyone on it and proves how bad things are. Yes it's only a bit of snow but the country is hardly prepared for it with grit and everything running out. It's not about moaners getting their way, the college has to make sure people are safe and this includes students and staff. All the snide remarks are unfair, people have enough stress without feeling like crap just because the weather has messed them up. If you live in an area where it's easy to get to the college of course your going to be pissed off but take a moment to understand other peoples circumstances and if you are prepared for monday's exam well then sit back and relax and prepare for the next one and by the time this one comes round you'll only have to re read notes. I have a way back to carlow town today to make the bus monday and was lucky to hear it's been cancelled otherwise I would have had a wasted journey. People who live beside the place arn't the only ones put out ok commuters are prepared for the exam as well and it's been postponed. Obviously it's a nationwide issue and they have to realise the importance of safety.
    I say fair play to the college for making a tough decision but students who commute have been trying to make tough travel decisions all this time as well. The weather is def. going to get worse and I think the only way to do things is to play it by ear. No one is responsible if there is an accident and no one deserves blame but it is better to be safe than sorry and would be tragic if anything happened to anyone because of failure to observe weather warnings. And so what if the exam is postponed, other colleges can do it so it's a once off thing in extreme circumstances. I think no ones wants to have to ruin their summer by having to repeat in august but people are having no alternative but to make that decision.
    Sorry again for ranting but I'm sick of the divide on this site, at the end of the day it comes down to everyones safety. I don't think people within the range of the college understand just how bad it is and it's been way worse in the west for far longer, try see it from other peoples point of view and just realise that it's better to be safe than sorry...Good luck to everyone and be safe.

Paragraphs are your friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xsinox

NUI still hasn't posted anything on the website! it's a bit ridiculous letting some exams go ahead and then postponing Monday. I agree with whoever said all or nothing. I just hope they let us know in time if other exams are going ahead or not:(

Advertisement