Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snow - ALL EXAMS RESUMING AS SCHEDULED AS OF 12TH JANUARY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

ah i see, he talked about trains in the sentence before the getting up early comment so i assumed he meant for trains. hence my confusion at how that was a solution. anyway obviously if people are able to drive then its obvious that they leave earlier, its people who cant do that that have an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Not forgetting the number of b&b's around the area, if you don't live near Maynooth get here a day early and stay the night, to be fair to the university it's not their fault if students can't make it in due to where they live, they even sent an email out before Christmas about the campus accommodation available during the exams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    It's because I have never in 8 years of coming to maynooth seen a train be delayed for 2 hours. I was never late for an exam. Never missed one. Trains didn't turn up, I slept in, bad weather was had, beers were consumed, cars broke down, yet I was never late. Why? Cause I always planned ahead. If you have to leave at 5 in the morning to safely make your exam on time then you have to leave at 5. That is my final contribution.

I always thought this was common sense. I'd always aim to be at college about 2-3 hours before an exam even when its not snowing. Gotta accommodate for the unexpected.

If you're worried about trains, buses ect. then try organise a lift or some other alternative in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Last point I make on this, has there ever in the last 10 years been weather this bad during the exams,has anyone ever seen the exams called off over adverse weather ever in the History of NUI Maynooth,
    Fail to prepare,prepare to fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Last point I make on this, has there ever in the last 10 years been weather this bad during the exams,has anyone ever seen the exams called off over adverse weather ever in the History of NUI Maynooth,
    Fail to prepare,prepare to fail.

Never, sorry! (exams being called off)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Didn't think so,Still a man can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JohnLoughran

If you are worried about driving, and I would be, it was crawling today Wednesday all over Dublin, average 30 kph (20 mph), take public transport to Dublin and the train to Maynooth, its fairly reliable.

Does anyone know the current depth of snow around the campus. Would there be enough to ski on (Cross country), say 5 cm (2 in)?:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'm not sure. It may well be that depth but I doubt it's heavy or dense enough to ski on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 clareber

Does anyone think there's any chance of tomorrows theology exams being called off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpt Beefheart

I see from the email the su sent out that warm cosy places to sit and wait for your exam to begin don't open until nine. I have a 9.30 exam coming up on Saturday and given the weather issues being discussed here I plan to get in well ahead of time. So where is open at say 8.00 am or earlier around campus. Option of staying in Maynooth the night before doesn't work for me.

• Advertisement

clareber wrote: »
    Does anyone think there's any chance of tomorrows theology exams being called off?

If they haven't informed you by now I doubt it's going to happen. It was highly doubtful anyway imo.

I see from the email the su sent out that warm cosy places to sit and wait for your exam to begin don't open until nine. I have a 9.30 exam coming up on Saturday and given the weather issues being discussed here I plan to get in well ahead of time. So where is open at say 8.00 am or earlier around campus. Option of staying in Maynooth the night before doesn't work for me.

What email you talking about? I didn't get any email...

From eight am onwards? You could try pugin as a long shot. Or depending on where your exam is on you could hang out in the hallway there. No ideal I know but I can't really think of anything else.. sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 clareber

thats ridiculous :( its gonna be mental gettin out to maynooth tomorrow and i doubt the buses will be runnin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpt Beefheart

Email to all students on 4th jan. It just said londis shop, the su bar and jucie lucie / speakeasy all open 9.00 to 3.00 during exams (bar not open on saturday)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭astroguy

So where is open at say 8.00 am or earlier around campus. Option of staying in Maynooth the night before doesn't work for me.
    Presumably the arts block, I know the reading room is open from around 8am if not earlier and there are plenty of seats around the arts block. Maybe the lecture theatres/classhalls will be open as well?

Oh, in that case bring a flask and sit in the reading room or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

i am going up from west cork..
    oh my..... :(...its not even funny the roads are really bad here..we got no snow tho..but just very very icy, those country rds have no salt or anything\

i am gonna try and get to cork city
    and then take all trains from there, i hope it d get me to maynooth
    if i am really stuck in dublin, may have to stay up there:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

KGA333 wrote: »
    How can u say how do the library have the right to close?? What about the staff needing to get home safely? Safety has to come first, simple as. To say they've no right to based on students travelling from everywhere is completely naiive and selfish.

They are paid to provide a service i.e. Facilitate students. Just like an employee of Google is paid to facilitate their firm. Do you think a private sector worker would get a half day like this right before their busiest period? :rolleyes:

They are lucky to have a job. If they are shutting the library early on us they should have their pay deducted for the inconvience they caused us :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Madworld wrote: »
    They are paid to provide a service i.e. Facilitate students. Just like an employee of Google is paid to facilitate their firm. Do you think a private sector worker would get a half day like this right before their busiest period? :rolleyes:

They are lucky to have a job. If they are shutting the library early on us they should have their pay deducted for the inconvience they caused us :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Oh get over it, I wouldn't like the thoughts of students or employees driving home on black ice in the dark. I think it was a reasonable decision and anyone that says otherwise should just get on with it, check their books out or use moodle like the rest of us!

No need to be so dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭brennra

Leixlipred.. you cant really argue clearly you live in leixlip its 5 minutes down the road you could walk if you need to, if you lived in the middle of the country like alot of us you would know what its like, and if you drive and you have ever skidded on ice you must know how terrifying it is when your not in control, so safety clearly comes before a bit of hassle moving around the exams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

The adverse weather conditions were continuing to disrupt bus schedules today with Bus Éireann this afternoon saying some services were affected in Cork, the south west, north Leinster, and the north west.

In a statement the company said most services were operating nationwide "with some delays".

In Cork city, there are a number of diversions in place on roads that are affecting a number of city services( - - ). Several services in West Cork ( my area ) are unable to operate or are diverted, the company said.

kinda screwed if i cant even get to cork never mind the train :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Oh get over it, I wouldn't like the thoughts of students or employees driving home on black ice in the dark.

+1. I was "inconvininced" today with the library, such is life really. I see the public/private sector nonsense coming into this even :rolleyes: I wouldn't anyone driving home in that. My Dads working tonight on the Ambulance and says its mayhem, there's a traffic cone SITTING ON THE ACTUAL CANAL FOR GOD SAKE (which sounds kind of...well...cool :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

brennra wrote: »
    Leixlipred.. you cant really argue clearly you live in leixlip its 5 minutes down the road you could walk if you need to, if you lived in the middle of the country like alot of us you would know what its like, and if you drive and you have ever skidded on ice you must know how terrifying it is when your not in control, so safety clearly comes before a bit of hassle moving around the exams

Bit of hassle? Running the exams costs the college into the millions. It's been icy and snowy for weeks, get over it. And as for the comment about walking, yes I could, it takes two hours. You can stay in my house for exams and we can walk it together when the world ends snow falls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

PrivateEye wrote: »
    +1. I was "inconvininced" today with the library, such is life really. I see the public/private sector nonsense coming into this even :rolleyes: I wouldn't anyone driving home in that. My Dads working tonight on the Ambulance and says its mayhem, there's a traffic cone SITTING ON THE ACTUAL CANAL FOR GOD SAKE (which sounds kind of...well...cool :o)

No it is relavent. Exam time is the library's busiest period. Its like a shop giving it's staff a half day on the 23rd of December.

The simple fact is that this sort of thing wouldnt happen if they werent in the public sector. My parents didnt half day. It took them hours coming home from work. Should they have got a half day also?

As you said yourself incionvience is a fact of life. The staff of the library should of endured the "inconvience" of the road conditions and be grateful for actually having a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I don't think it's relevant whether it's public or private sector. The library should have stayed open, surely they could have ran a skeleton crew with those who live locally or something. It's an important time for students to have access to books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Berthram

I see that the dean is unable to make it in this weather also.
    'Unfortunately, due to the adverse weather conditions, the Dean is not in the office today (Tuesday 5th Jan)'.(E-mail) and 'Due to adverse weather conditions and to ensure all applications are correctly stamped and signed (by the authorised person and not pps) the deadline for the IRCHSS Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme 2010 is extended until 4pm Friday 15 January 2010.'

So perhaps the exams may be posponed?

Some tool emailed in to Ireland AM this morning asking them to get NUIM to make a statement about exams.

Also, anyone else see the load of footprints across the canal at the train station? Retards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 KGA333

Some tool emailed in to Ireland AM this morning asking them to get NUIM to make a statement about exams.
    Whats so wrong with that? Perhaps they are genuinely worried about trying to get up?

• Advertisement

Then ring the college to find out!? Absolutely zero point in adding a middle man.

Advertisement