Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snow - ALL EXAMS RESUMING AS SCHEDULED AS OF 12TH JANUARY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Berthram

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    What people seem to miss compleltely, again and again, that in situations like this, there is no way to determine genuine cases from the not so genuine. That is why the exams are not being moved. The majority of students are not effected too aversely by snow, hence no postponement. It's not that difficult to comprehend. And no one is ignorant of the situation in rural areas. What people do seem to be ignorant of is that most Maynooth students live in the town or are on the commuter belt. Majority rules.

Just a suggestion........
    The exam office should put up a notice on moodle reassuring that anyone who cannot make it in for the exam due to the exceptional weather conditions will be eligible to sit the repeats without penalty.

Seriously? :confused:

Seriously, ever been to a bad accident? I used to go to them regularly before I went back to college and they suck. You can leave early and in plenty of time do everything right and someone else can make a mistake and ruin your life in a second. This is a once in 50 years event so they say. Genuine exceptional circumstances. If someone in an office can make that call simply because it will save them hassle to push ahead with the exams then they should stand by their decision and take responsibility for it.

Also saying majority rules is a big "up yours" to those who commute. Thanks.

Tallaght IT was considering postponing them but they say most people live near the IT. Instead they pushed all exams back by a half hour and then give any late comers up to a half hour the full time.

Something like the above would be nice. Also the suggestion about repeat fees is only fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Berthram wrote: »
    Just a suggestion........
    The exam office should put up a notice on moodle reassuring that anyone who cannot make it in for the exam due to the exceptional weather conditions will be eligible to sit the repeats without penalty.

Never going to happen. Think about it. Hundreds of students would then 'claim' to be unable to make it in due to the snow. Therefore everyone would be given the chance to repeat without penalty. There is no way to determine who is 'eligible' for such a situation and who is not.

I will be driving from Westmeath to NUI Maynooth over the next two weeks and I drove home yesterday after the blizzard. I lost control of the car once when I went over an icy patch, but nothing serious happened because I went slow. That was the first time since this bad weather hit where a problem arose. I am sure I could claim to be unable to make my exams, but realistically I can drive to Maynooth and so can others.

If you are unable to make it to Maynooth via public transport then its time to look for a driver. Patience and common sense will get you on time to your exams safely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

You can leave early and in plenty of time do everything right and someone else can make a mistake and ruin your life in a second.
    That person is not the one in the office saying exams are going ahead.
    they should stand by their decision and take responsibility for it.
    There's no responsibility for you being in an accident. It's your choice if you want to leave your house. They're not forcing you.

My commute's 2 hours on a clear and sunny day with no traffic issues, and tomorrow I'll be giving myself at least 4 hours to get there. If I happen to get knocked down by a slip-sliding car that's nothing to do with the college or whoever decides to go ahead with exams. Nothing. There's no culpability on their part whatsoever. Why on earth would there be? They're not forcing me. They're not driving the car that might hit me. They didn't create the ice for me to break me head on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Seriously, ever been to a bad accident? I used to go to them regularly before I went back to college and they suck. You can leave early and in plenty of time do everything right and someone else can make a mistake and ruin your life in a second. This is a once in 50 years event so they say. Genuine exceptional circumstances. If someone in an office can make that call simply because it will save them hassle to push ahead with the exams then they should stand by their decision and take responsibility for it.

Also saying majority rules is a big "up yours" to those who commute. Thanks.

Tallaght IT was considering postponing them but they say most people live near the IT. Instead they pushed all exams back by a half hour and then give any late comers up to a half hour the full time.

Something like the above would be nice. Also the suggestion about repeat fees is only fair.

I don't think you realise how big of a deal exams are, not just for students. It's a huge and expensive operation to run. Postponing them isn't really an option, it would cost so much (ask LeixlipRed, I'm pretty sure he's worked it out to the final penny :P)

It's also unlikely that it's one guy in an office somewhere on south campus making the decision. Irregardless of that I don't agree that those who do HAVE TO make the decision should lose their jobs should the unthinkable happen, it's not their responsibilty to get you there safely, it's yours. There's zero blame placed on them if another car were to hit yours!

I never said majority rules actually. And I also commute. I've had to take public transport though where as I used to drive myself in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

You can't blame the examinations office if there's an accident. You can however, blame the person at fault in the accident (if there is someone at fault).

One more nasty comment about university staff decisions and the poster will be banned. This is turning into a very touchy subject among a few of you, but I'll keep the thread open for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

This is a once in 50 years event so they say. Genuine exceptional circumstances.

[Citation Needed]

Also, it's a well known fact that January 1982 was much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Berthram

mickstupp wrote: »

There's no responsibility for you being in an accident. It's your choice if you want to leave your house. They're not forcing you.

I'm not sure if thats 100% true.
    At the open days, Maynooth promotes and encourages long distance commuting and long distance bus service. When I done my interview with John Hughes &Emer Sheerin I discussed my travel arrangments.
    Furthermore, as a comparison, Employers have some responsibility for employees travel arrangments. Also employers PRSI insurance covers an accident an employee has while travelling to work.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/disability-and-illness/occupational_injuries_benefit_overview

So I would argue that the University does have a duty of care in terms of making sure that some provision be made for this exceptional weather situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

I wouldn't be against the idea of letting people repeat without penalty. I mean, they'd have to repeat in August and lose their whole summer to studying and if people were using the weather as an excuse, so what? They could just as easy go into a doctor, get a sick note and skip the exam and not be penalised then, the snow is just a little more plausible, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

hope whoever made that decision loses their job if someone dies on the way in

:rolleyes:

You'd swear we lived in Baghdad or Afghanistan. Melodrama or wha?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be against the idea of letting people repeat without penalty. I mean, they'd have to repeat in August and lose their whole summer to studying and if people were using the weather as an excuse, so what? They could just as easy go into a doctor, get a sick note and skip the exam and not be penalised then, the snow is just a little more plausible, no?

But there is no penalty. There's restrictions in final year alright (yet I have strange suspicions final year students wont be missing exams due to this weather). So it's not the end of the world if you miss an exam because it's unsafe to trouble. You'll still have to repeat though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MTAR

Why would there be a need to close the thread? I think it is fair the question the actions of the university about their decisions. Also to say that we have had plenty of time to prepare for the cold weather as we have "kown" about it foe a long time can be turned back on the college. They have also known about the weather conditions for the past 2+ weeks and seem to have made no contigency plans whatsoever. To say the college has not done enough to help students in these circumstances is an understatement and i dont think that comment is anyway "nasty" to the college or its members.

I think the arguement here more towards the information given by the college rather than the weather itself... seems like other colleges have had more information sent out to them than we have.

It is abundantly evident that a lot of people want the exams post-poned until the weather has improved or until August for the reasons of safety. However, and having said that, what about those people who want to sit their exams at the designated time?
    Everyone seems so wrapped up about the commuters, but what about those who are willing to brace the weather or live locally enough to make their exams on time?
    I, for one, do not want to spend my August studying because some people were not willing or capable of making their exams. Therefore, if the University was to determine the outcome by democracy, the number of people able to make their exams would surpass those who wish to post-pone them.

Secondly, for those who are talking about people being killed due to travelling, you should realise that a car is a weapon and you can be killed in normal weather as well. Infact, the number of deaths via accidents from driving in this country has decreased during this bad period, in comparison to a period of regular weather. You can be killed from being knocked down while crossing the road - perhaps we should sue the college for inadequate pedestrian crossings? :o

Finally, they are JUST exams. It is not the end of the world if you fail or are late for them. If you miss them it doesn't mean you "fail @ life". Ultimately, I think a lot of these issues and concerns are stemming from nothing other than stress. People are freaking out about exams, pressure to study, the weather not being favourable and need something to strike out against.

Never going to happen. Think about it. Hundreds of students would then 'claim' to be unable to make it in due to the snow. Therefore everyone would be given the chance to repeat without penalty. There is no way to determine who is 'eligible' for such a situation and who is not.

I dont think anyone would rather sit an exam in august rather than get it over with now. Also it is fairly easy to find out who is eligible and who isnt, just look at where the person is from and how the location is affected by the weather. i.e. if someone is from dundrum and there is no weather alert in that area well then they should be able to turn up, if someone is from offaly and there is aroad alert then they can't. This being said I dont this should be put in place, the only option is either the exam be put back or it is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

MTAR wrote: »
    Why would there be a need to close the thread? I think it is fair the question the actions of the university about their decisions. Also to say that we have had plenty of time to prepare for the cold weather as we have "kown" about it foe a long time can be turned back on the college. They have also known about the weather conditions for the past 2+ weeks and seem to have made no contigency plans whatsoever. To say the college has not done enough to help students in these circumstances is an understatement and i dont think that comment is anyway "nasty" to the college or its members.

Wishing that someone loses their job is nasty. Blaming a hypothetical 'death' on that person, is even nastier.

Do you think deciding exams will stay the same would have been an easy decision to make?

I'm tempted to close the thread because there are too many people getting riled up and throwing around stupid comments. It's all fair to question the decisions of the university staff, but it's not fair to wish them to lose their jobs or to blame accidents (that haven't even happened, and hopefully won't happen) on the staff of the university.

I dont think anyone would rather sit an exam in august rather than get it over with now. Also it is fairly easy to find out who is eligible and who isnt, just look at where the person is from and how the location is affected by the weather. i.e. if someone is from dundrum and there is no weather alert in that area well then they should be able to turn up, if someone is from offaly and there is aroad alert then they can't. This being said I dont this should be put in place, the only option is either the exam be put back or it is on.

I am coming from Westmeath where all schools have been closed and people are told not to drive. Yet, I have driven to and from Maynooth over the last two weeks and will continue to do so. Which category do I fall under then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Also it is fairly easy to find out who is eligible and who isnt, just look at where the person is from and how the location is affected by the weather. i.e. if someone is from dundrum and there is no weather alert in that area well then they should be able to turn up, if someone is from offaly and there is aroad alert then they can't. This being said I dont this should be put in place, the only option is either the exam be put back or it is on.

That "who's eligible" thing is ridiculous. 6000 students like, c'mon. That would basically mean someone looking at every student record and deciding whether or not A gets an exemption cos she's in Sligo, but I don't cos I'm in Celbridge. I'm in the back arse of nowhere in Celbridge and my road is nearly impassable, and say student A was on a main road that had been gritted and she was able to get to Maynooth easier than I was, but I got penalised for not showing up to the exam how would that be fair?. System fail.

It's shíte and all, and it's happened at a very unfortunate time for NUIM students, but I don't think we can point the finger at the Exams Office in particular, or indeed, at the students who failed to make plans for this or don't have alternative options for accomodation etc. The blame can't be put on any particular person because everyone's at fault imo. We have to also take into account the lack of preparation of city and county councils (RTE news said Dublin CC only have 1 day's worth of grit left, seriously) who basically haven't got a snow plan, despite constant warnings from weather and enviromental bodies about the basic idea of global warming = extreme weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

I think at the end of the day everyone just wants to do well in their exams and its starting to seem a bit unfair that the college didnt clearly state their position regarding the exams so people were left wondering whether to make plans etc., but also i think something should be arranged for students who cant make it so that they are not left at a disadvantage regarding resits purely because of where they live. which tbh is fair enough.

i think the main problem at this stage is the lack of communication
    (deja vu:rolleyes:...) from the college regarding where people stand if the weather is a problem.

people dont always have an easy plan b. sometimes its not as black and white as people think and its easy for people who have a nice air tight plan that cant go wrong to say its your responsibility to find a way. but it really isnt.

right now ive to organise a way into maynooth and also a babysitter because the campus creche doesnt even know if they've enough staff (they live too far away and the weather is too dangerous) to mind my daughter while i sit my final year exams. they're closing early every day and even though im paying she may not be allowed in due to staff-child ratios.

so far thats the library staff having transport issues, the creche staff not coming in and of course the dean not being able to come in and yet students are expected to somehow manage. its a little unfair if their results are affected by it and i think thats the issue, that when theres so many other people being affected by it, regardless of the majority rule, you need to come up with a plan for the people who will be affected.

The problem is that those effected will be in the minority. And how does one prove results are effected by weather conditions that caused you a stressful journey to your exams? However true it may be, you cant. We all sympathise but there's nothing that can be done.

People who are getting trains in tomorrow, what do you reckon? I've to be in at 9 for invigilation. Reckon I'll go for train that supposedly should get in after 8. I'd say anyone doing a half 9 exam should get that one too. Just in case!

• Advertisement

The problem is that those effected will be in the minority. And how does one prove results are effected by weather conditions that caused you a stressful journey to your exams? However true it may be, you cant. We all sympathise but there's nothing that can be done.

i never said anything whatsoever about marks being effected by a stressful journey! dunno where you got that from. im saying if people miss tomorrows exam then they'll have to sit it at the time of repeats, hence only one chance at the exam. and if im wrong and this isn't the case then its the universitys responsibility to assure students of this.
    im not in any way saying my stressful journey will influence my results, im saying that those who cant make a journey at all may be at a disadvantage. so i think it should be accommodated for. not that they're given an automatic first or that they dont have any exams, just that its taken into consideration in some way.

They'll repeat in August just like the people who are sick in hospital, or who's cars break down or who sleep in. Why? Because who is to decide who's case is more unfortunate/pressing/genuine than others.

Could be worse, ITT have exams in the evenings some start at 7pm and Dublin Bus are suspending services from 20.00 tonight. One of my friends has an exam at 7 tonight there but he is nearby and driving.

Anyone hanging on in Maynooth this evening that needs to get home by bus take note!

Also from IT Blanch:
    The Institute gives notice that at this time, it intends to proceed with the examination schedule as previously advised to students.
    Any changes or amendments to the schedule will be published here. Therefore students are advised to check this site for updates to the current position
    http://www.itb.ie/

They'll repeat in August just like the people who are sick in hospital, or who's cars break down or who sleep in. Why? Because who is to decide who's case is more unfortunate/pressing/genuine than others.

the fact that its been on the news, roads have been blocked, the actual dean has been affected by it, the staff of the university have been affected by it... the list goes on.. its not an individual case, its a national issue. maybe its only the minority of people but surely everyone knows its not right for a minority to suffer just because they're in a minority. and i think alot of people would change their tune if they didnt have an alternative plan or their plans are ruined in the mean time.

It is an individual issue as to whether the adverse weather conditions actually prevent you from getting to NUIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Foot path on the Glenroyal side of the Straffan road has been gritted to allow people to walk safely to the train station & bus stop & into town. Paths are generally clear on one side of the road only.

I'm gonna be slated for saying this but anyone driving up bring a few recovery operator numbers with you that's along route as alot of companies aren't sending their assistance vans or lorries out for the simple reason if anything happens them it's gonna cost them a fortune to have a work vehicle off the road. I know around Maynooth only about 2 operators are sending vehicles out.

my friend just rang said his 7pm exam in ITT was postponed!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Luckily my first exam isn't for another week so hopefully the conditions of the roads in my area will have improved by then, they really are absolutely lethal around here. But after reading this thread I'm going to put a Plan B together just in case these conditions don't improve, as it sounds like I will receive zero sympathy from the college, and from many of my fellow students, if I am affected by a situation that is completely beyond my control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 silverberg

I couldn't even get out of my estate to get to Maynooth today. Public transport is not an option because of the curtailments in the bus routes, so they're not coming into my area. I will try again tomorrow but it's not looking good. Looks like I along with many others will be sitting the August exams and not graduating with my class :(.

• Advertisement

silverberg wrote: »
    I couldn't even get out of my estate to get to Maynooth today. Public transport is not an option because of the curtailments in the bus routes, so they're not coming into my area. I will try again tomorrow but it's not looking good. Looks like I along with many others will be sitting the August exams and not graduating with my class :(.

Where are you from? If you're on a bus route then you can't be that far! Surely there's a plan B, especially in your final year.

Advertisement