Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snow - ALL EXAMS RESUMING AS SCHEDULED AS OF 12TH JANUARY

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know in my area, most of the bus services seemed to have been suspended. Or at least, they were last I heard.

Lexlip, why do you seem to find this so hard to understand? People don't want to miss their exams, but because of where they live, they are having difficulty. Everyone will obviously try their best, but for some, that still won't be good enough.

You seem to be acting as if we're all working on this massive collective lie to get out of exams. >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

People are acting as if it's impossible to get to maynooth, which it's not.

Man, get up early, and walk as far as you need to get to somewhere a bus or train can take you from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I imagine they'll take into account - with a high level of scrutiny - transport issues on a case-by-case basis. IE if there were no coaches for two days before the exam then they might consider a pardon. But they're right not to blanket-cancel all exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

mp3guy wrote: »
    Man, get up early, and walk as far as you need to get to somewhere a bus or train can take you from.

I would have to walk more than three hours on extremely icy, unlit, narrow country roads in order to get to a bus that may not even be running, thats just not an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 silverberg

66/b - not serving Lucan
    66a - not serving Lucan and Captains Hill, terminating at Louisa Bridge
    67/a - not serving Lucan

Public transport is my plan B. I have never been more prepared for my exams and I feel very frustrated as I have worked very hard, particulary this year. It is a case of I cannot get out of my area. The roads are dangerously bad to drive, I know it's fine when you get to the main roads but it's getting to the main roads that is the problem. As I said I will try again it is not a case of trying to get out of the exams because I certainly do not want to be back in August. Even the local taxi companies will not enter. If I could drive I would, If I could get a bus I would, if I was within walking distance I would walk but it's impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Some of us have exams tomorrow!!!!

11 whining pages

Jays i would do anything rather than study when i'm supposed to be studying :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Well I think its retarded letting the exams go ahead as normal or not even having some sort of backup plan and any argument otherwise is also retarded and ignorant. Nuff said.

Beau wrote: »
    Well I think its retarded letting the exams go ahead as normal or not even having some sort of backup plan and any argument otherwise is also retarded and ignorant. Nuff said.

Beau calls 'em as he sees 'em :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Beau wrote: »

I can assure you that they do have a backup plan. And that there's no need for it yet. Ffs, you would actually swear the world was ending :eek: Ok, if there's a huge snowstorm tonight then yeh, call it off but the way some people are going in so over the top it's beyond reason.

silverberg wrote: »
    66/b - not serving Lucan
    67/a - not serving Lucan

Public transport is my plan B. I have never been more prepared for my exams and I feel very frustrated as I have worked very hard, particulary this year. It is a case of I cannot get out of my area. The roads are dangerously bad to drive, I know it's fine when you get to the main roads but it's getting to the main roads that is the problem. As I said I will try again it is not a case of trying to get out of the exams because I certainly do not want to be back in August. Even the local taxi companies will not enter. If I could drive I would, If I could get a bus I would, if I was within walking distance I would walk but it's impossible.

Ok, so you live in Lucan? And you cannot under any circumstances make it to Maynooth tomorrow? I just don't believe that's even possible. Surely you can walk to the N4 and get a bus there? I'm perplexed to be honest.

• Advertisement

You seem to be acting as if we're all working on this massive collective lie to get out of exams. >_>

Of course not, I'm just arguing that the exams should go ahead. If you read the whole thread you'll see that I clearly aint denying that some people wont make it tomorrow. But some people dont make it every exam time. I think the fact that everyone seems to be taking it so personally is because they're clearly stressed about exams, thankfully I aint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

My plan now involves leaving my house at 7PM (in case they terminate buses out of the city at 8PM again) on a Friday for an exam at 9:30AM on a Saturday. Hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

PrivateEye wrote: »
    My plan now involves leaving my house at 7PM (in case they terminate buses out of the city at 8PM again) on a Friday for an exam at 9:30AM on a Saturday. Hmm.

My plan is leaving the house at 9:15 jumping over two walls and being there for 9:25 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

PrivateEye wrote: »

I plan to leave tomorrow at 9 for an exam at 12:30 just in case.

I've gotten the bus to Maynooth in the morning on a regular weekend, the bus services is pretty bad anyway.

Might break out the old JC maths book and graph snowfall against increase of posts here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

And you cannot under any circumstances make it to Maynooth tomorrow? I just don't believe that's even possible.

For some, it is going to be impossible. For the vast majority of those affected, they'll be able to make it, but in the process, they'll be taking serious risks. But if the guy says he's in danger of not being able to make it, maybe we can try and sympathise with him rather than calling him a liar <_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

banquo wrote: »
    Might break out the old JC maths book and graph snowfall against increase of posts here.
    It's certainly making more people view the forum anyway! There's like 37 people online, which I'm assuming is a lot more than usual :pac:

To keep on topic, snow sucks. As do exams.

If he lives in Lucan then he definitely aint making the best effort possible. Do you know Lucan well? It's not remote. Ok, the bus not be going into his estate, but there's no way he's not a half hour or so walk from a bus stop on a main road.

And of course it'll be impossible for some people to travel. Just not for people living in Lucan!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

As long as they have a shed load of heaters in the exam halls, I'll be happy enough. Have been in the Arts Block studying most of this week and its been fweezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

~me~ wrote:
    the fact that its been on the news, roads have been blocked, the actual dean has been affected by it, the staff of the university have been affected by it... the list goes on.. its not an individual case, its a national issue. maybe its only the minority of people but surely everyone knows its not right for a minority to suffer just because they're in a minority. and i think alot of people would change their tune if they didnt have an alternative plan or their plans are ruined in the mean time.
    Ok, this is only a technicality, but is has been bugging me for a number of posts now. You would swear from this that there was only one dean in the college - wrong! Each faculty has a dean, and then Research and Grad Studies have their own dean(s) (which is the one in question here, by the way). The deans are, admittedly, high up members of staff, but it's not like the university grinds to a halt in the absence of one of them. The only reason this dean's absence was of note was because there is a funding application deadline falling due around now, and their input is required for applications - nothing to do with exams!!!
    silverberg wrote:
    66/b - not serving Lucan
    67/a - not serving Lucan

As was already said, surely it would be possible to get to a 66/67a stop on the N4? Even from Westmanstown, which is the far side of Lucan, and practically in Clonsilla, it's no more than 4km to the N4. I've walked similar in the conditions in the last few days myself, though not specifically in Lucan. I'll admit it's not ideal, but surely it's not impossible either.

• Advertisement

Start walking, boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Knee-Vee

If you have mates in Maynooth, you could try asking them for crash space. I'm sure they'll understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

For some, it is going to be impossible. For the vast majority of those affected, they'll be able to make it, but in the process, they'll be taking serious risks. But if the guy says he's in danger of not being able to make it, maybe we can try and sympathise with him rather than calling him a liar <_<

What this dude/chick said! A lot of people probably can make it to Maynooth tomorrow but whether they should is a different story.

I'm sure (I hope!) its been considered already but why can't it be decided on a day to day basis and reschedule exams effected to the study week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 beeforsalmon

cython wrote: »
    Ok, this is only a technicality, but is has been bugging me for a number of posts now. You would swear from this that there was only one dean in the college - wrong! Each faculty has a dean, and then Research and Grad Studies have their own dean(s) (which is the one in question here, by the way). The deans are, admittedly, high up members of staff, but it's not like the university grinds to a halt in the absence of one of them. The only reason this dean's absence was of note was because there is a funding application deadline falling due around now, and their input is required for applications - nothing to do with exams!!!

That's correct. The Dean of Graduate Studies wasn't available for people to get their IRCHSS applications signed and stamped on Wednesday but she was in yesterday and today. Thankfully the IRCHSS put their deadline back to Friday 15 January because of the weather (it originally was Monday 11 January).

I travelled up from Limerick early this morning in order to get my application form signed by Graduate Studies and by my own department. The untreated rural roads are very bad in certain areas but there's not many places that are totally impassable. Once I got onto the M/N7 I was fine. Simply crawled along in the left lane once I got on the motorway like everyone else. The roads around Maynooth require a great deal of care but if you take it nice and slow you should be ok. It took me 2.5-3 hours longer than it usually would to drive up so give yourself plenty of time if you're commuting. Try and stick to the main roads where possible and take it slow and steady.

The current weather leaves a lot of people in a difficult situation. Not everyone would be comfortable driving in the current conditions and public transport will be very hit and miss not only due to the weather but with the increased demand. Not everyone will have access to accomodation in Maynooth either if they normally commute daily. There's not a lot the university can do though. It would take truly exceptional circumstances for them to even consider postponing the exams given the logistics involved. Students are just going to have to try their best to make alternative arrangements unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

cython wrote: »

wow. i apologise.
    another technicality- i know its nothing to do with exams, that wasnt my point my point was, high up members of staff were affected and pardoned, whereas students aren't.
    it wasnt my intention to irritate you!!! I was purely stating that even members of staff that were needed werent able to make it in. also my use of "the dean" (edit- my exact words were "the actual dean" not "the dean", however point still stands!) was in reference to a previous post in this thread regarding the dean in question and her absence, it was not actually in the context in which you read it, as in "the only dean". but thats just a technicality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Less of the sarcasm and sniping please folks. As I said before, mods need to study too. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭cython

~me~ wrote: »
    wow. i apologise.
    another technicality- i know its nothing to do with exams, that wasnt my point my point was, high up members of staff were affected and pardoned, whereas students aren't.
    it wasnt my intention to irritate you!!! I was purely stating that even members of staff that were needed werent able to make it in. also my use of "the dean" (edit- my exact words were "the actual dean" not "the dean", however point still stands!) was in reference to a previous post in this thread regarding the dean in question and her absence, it was not actually in the context in which you read it, as in "the only dean". but thats just a technicality!

Well I'm afraid that a phrase like "the actual dean" still makes it sound like there's only one, and you used the phrase "the dean" at one point too. And if you're going to pick on words, I said it had been ongoing for a few posts. Yours just happened to be the most recent, hence I quoted it. I only picked up on it because if I could read it that way, there was nothing to stop other people reading it that way, which seemed to be happening from the number of posts that read as if there was only the one dean. The issue has been clarified now, so I don't think we need any more about it.

And as for members of staff being "pardoned", each member of staff has someone they report to, who has a reasonably small number of people reporting to them. This makes it pretty simple to assess things on a case by case basis. Students sitting exams would have to be "pardoned" by the exams office, were such a thing to be happen, and for the office to do that for thousands of students, for a number of exams each, is beyond unreasonable. And the Grad Studies office accomodating these applications is a much smaller feat than trying to reschedule the entire examination timetable for the university! It's like comparing putting a band aid on to an organ transplant in terms of complexity

EDIT: Apologies Rozabeez, I had this written and submitted before seeing the mod comment. I have deliberately tried to avoid sarcasm and sniping anyway in any of the posts I've made, as it can take away from a point being made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

Well I like snow. As long as I only have to look at it from inside a warm place. :)

Anyways, I think it sucks for commuters who have to make the choice between putting themselves at risk to sit an exam, or have to wait 8 months to resit and then face not graduating with the rest of their class. But at the same time, and I won't know this for sure til I actually head in myself, there seems to be a good few people around, and I imagine it'll be a tiny minority who choose/are forced to not get in due to the conditions. It's hard to imagine how the college would cope with rearranging the exams of 6,000 students across who knows how many modules when the vast majority can make it in for the current timetable.

Anyways, that was my 2c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

i apologise for the confusion. it was a passing remark about a higher member of staff, referred to earlier in the thread, not being able to make it in, despite her quite huge responsibilities that day. i didnt mean it as in 'even the leader of the uni couldnt make it', i meant 'the dean who actually had specific responsibilities as a higher member of staff didnt even come in'. obviously it didnt come across that way to you so sorry.
    apologies for being sarcastic i just didnt see the need for bold writing and explanation marks all because of the way i worded a post. a simple 'i dunno if you know this but...' would've been clear enough. but thanks for clearing it up for people who didnt know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭lsuzanne1987

Hey everyone,
    Just wanted to wish you all well in your exams and hope you all get through the snow okay to get to them .Its not the end of the world if you have to sit them in August,you'll be in good company.
    Laura X

Advertisement