Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snow - ALL EXAMS RESUMING AS SCHEDULED AS OF 12TH JANUARY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

On the topic of snow...
    this was boards post of the day yeasterday
    GB & Ireland from satellite
    715tu0.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Apparently, this issue was also being discussed on Pat Kenny this morning. Anyone hear the show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

DIT have cancelled all exams on Monday due to forecast weekend conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Wow there might be hope yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

Does anyone know what the weather is to be like in next few days?? I came up monday cuz of weather but have to go home for work tomorrow evening. Is it worth risking it? Or is more snow on the way? Should i just stay put

• Advertisement

All schools have now been offically shut until Thursday as well.

Actually, this is getting a bit scary now <_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Sunday and Monday are going to be fairly bad apparently, Met Eireann predicting a lot of snow for the East and South-East.

RTE:
    5:55pm: All IT Tallaght exams schedule for Monday in the National Basketball Centre, the Institute and other centres have been postponed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Surely Maynooth will have to do the same, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

With all the bad weather, wouldn't you be sorry for Iris Robinson..
    http://www.noplaceinthesun.com/page15.htm
    Still, not everybody gets to have jokes made about them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Incredible. We only listen to Batt O' Keefe when he's behind a desk in Pugin Hall ****eing on about the Library.

All primary and secondary schools shut, ITT and DIT taking the lead on exams here too.

Old mans been on the fire engine today and said the ambulance are getting non-stop calls from people splitting themselves on the ice. All ages, all out for a variety of ridicolous reasons. It's not worth going out in, I'm DREADING tomorrow.

****nice one to An Post workers, and their Union. They're working in very hazardous conditions, but keep re-iterating the fact th at in rurual Ireland they can sometimes be older residents only contact and that the service is vital. They've alreay lost a fireman and a postie in Wales to the weather, I hope the Government can get their act together on this ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xsinox

I think NUIM should postpone exams. Im not just saying that because I want a "free pass" or whatever. I would prefer to get them out of the way asap personally, but I don't really want to risk my life gettin to an exam!:rolleyes: The roads where i live are like a bottle and i would be nervous goin on them! I just think that if the weather is goin to be as bad as they say it is, then shouldn't they not even postpone the exams for a few days?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭jojo86

right, I'd just like to throw in my thoughts cos iv read every page of this thing. With regard to commuters should have organised someplace to stay etc, I cant afford to stay up in maynooth for the duration of exams, the on campus acc. is 24 euro a day and it all adds up. I'm in carlow and currently can't physically make it to the bus though I will try. My worries however are not so much travelling to as travelling back, if anyone has to get a late bus back to say, carlow, it'll be really late when they get back and what happens if there is a sudden snow storm and people get stuck up there or get stuck half way home in the middle of no where??
    I think safety is the most important thing as far as i'm concerned and if that means repeat in august well so be it. I totally get where people are coming from with regard to hassel of changing exam times or having no option but to charge for repeats and it's all fair enough. However, I think if a large number have to repeat than some form of consideration should be taken with regards to the weather conditions. It is a hell of a lot worse than people think and some areas are that bad that one can't physically travel. I emailed the exams office and let them know my position so hopefully they won't hold it against me. I wish if they can't postpone things they at least appear a bit more sympathetic towards commuters, that's all I think is fair. Just if they assured people there is a level of understanding with regard to travel.
    I'm seriously ranting on here and I apologise, fair play to all those up there who are sorted and can do their exams and best of luck. But to those of us who are going to miss a couple it's not great and it's not an excuse it's just unavoidable. So I think people need to quit arguing and be a bit more understanding and sympathetic towards those who can't get there and those who can.
    Oh and I dont think it's fair to say students should have thought of a back up plan and remove all responsibility from the college, who should also of had a back up plan. Good luck to all anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I can get to college easily, so it doesn't affect me. Which I'm grateful for.

But the college has admitted that the weather is a legitimate barrier to travel - they excused that guy who works here when he couldn't make it in to work. They closed the library early a few days ago because staff couldn't get in/get home. Public and private transport, though not always impossible to use, has been compromised. You don't know if you're going to get there or not. And I believe that there are some students who won't be able - legitimately - to get to college in time for their exam. **** happens.

So the question is: should we, like DIT etc, cancel all the exams? Or take excuses into account on a case-by-case basis, taking into account the student's address, mode of transport etc?

I think just accept that people are going to miss the exams and if they do they will just have to repeat end of. I'll accept that and I'll accept having to pay, I can't afford to stay up there right now and living expenses. if i can make it in i will and if i cant i wont. theres nothing we can do about the weather and unless things get waay worse and sh*t loads cant make it well then maybe do something more about it but for now I don't think we can ask for much more than to repeat.
    Question--has anyone already had an exam and what was the craic??was there many people in the exam??many late??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

banquo wrote: »

I laughed.

I'm going to hell, aren't I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

jojo86 wrote: »
    Question--has anyone already had an exam and what was the craic??was there many people in the exam??many late??

Had geo first thing this morning, and not too many late, maybe 5/6, but at least 20 or so empty seats in the main hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

It's a wonder DIT have cancelled exams but then again Maynooth is probably easier to get too, some of the sensible colleges who have exams before Christmas are closed all next week. Why can't NUIM move exams to before Christmas :(

i know it's stupid...what can ya do??!!i care more about myself than exams to be honest, safety comes first...but i dont think i can really come to a travel decision until the day-tomorrow---eek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭scott.s

A comment on RTE from some NUIM staff member reported a 94% attendance which is apparently normal for these exams.

I drove home today from Lucan (been stuck there for 2 days) to Kilcullen and it wasn't too bad. Motorways are generally clear. Trickiest bits are housing estates. I'll be interested to see what the weather is like on Monday when I have to drive up for an exam :/

I'm a 3:30PM tomorrow start, which is grand. Going to actually leave here about 10 and just sit out in Maynooth and study/boards.ie. Feel sorry for the 9:30AMers. I think Monday is the one to worry about.

Well done DIT though, bit of cop on never went amsis in this country- it just stands out a mile.

banquo wrote: »

To be honest, he was flying along there. I've been getting funny looks from cars over the last few days, but as I say "slow and steady doesn't end up on the 6'1 News"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

right, I'd just like to throw in my thoughts cos iv read every page of this thing. With regard to commuters should have organised someplace to stay etc, I cant afford to stay up in maynooth for the duration of exams, the on campus acc. is 24 euro a day and it all adds up. I'm in carlow and currently can't physically make it to the bus though I will try. My worries however are not so much travelling to as travelling back, if anyone has to get a late bus back to say, carlow, it'll be really late when they get back and what happens if there is a sudden snow storm and people get stuck up there or get stuck half way home in the middle of no where??
    I think safety is the most important thing as far as i'm concerned and if that means repeat in august well so be it. I totally get where people are coming from with regard to hassel of changing exam times or having no option but to charge for repeats and it's all fair enough. However, I think if a large number have to repeat than some form of consideration should be taken with regards to the weather conditions. It is a hell of a lot worse than people think and some areas are that bad that one can't physically travel. I emailed the exams office and let them know my position so hopefully they won't hold it against me. I wish if they can't postpone things they at least appear a bit more sympathetic towards commuters, that's all I think is fair. Just if they assured people there is a level of understanding with regard to travel.
    I'm seriously ranting on here and I apologise, fair play to all those up there who are sorted and can do their exams and best of luck. But to those of us who are going to miss a couple it's not great and it's not an excuse it's just unavoidable. So I think people need to quit arguing and be a bit more understanding and sympathetic towards those who can't get there and those who can.
    Oh and I dont think it's fair to say students should have thought of a back up plan and remove all responsibility from the college, who should also of had a back up plan. Good luck to all anyway.
    hey where in carlow u frm? im frm carlow...cud let yu stay in mine in maynooth if ya want...pm me details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

All the exams in carlow have been put forward to start next monday the 18th.

^jpcarlow above, Typical example of why I love NUI Maynooth

PrivateEye wrote: »
    ^jpcarlow above, Typical example of why I love NUI Maynooth

Agreed. The kindness of strangers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MTAR

was studying so had no time to look at boards but back to page 10 I said i thought it was a bad idea but a do-able one. Like I said I personally think the exams should go ahead as scheduled or else be put back... It was on the news earlier (cant remember who was talking) but some minister rang up NUIM and they said they would not be closing. The minister rang after receiving a number of messages from NUIM students. He also said he would be keeping an eye on the situation and if things worsen might step in.

Righto back to study for a half 9 test that I thought started at half 3.... woohoo

To the Minister!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

MTAR wrote: »
    was studying so had no time to look at boards but back to page 10 I said i thought it was a bad idea but a do-able one. Like I said I personally think the exams should go ahead as scheduled or else be put back... It was on the news earlier (cant remember who was talking) but some minister rang up NUIM and they said they would not be closing. The minister rang after receiving a number of messages from NUIM students. He also said he would be keeping an eye on the situation and if things worsen might step in.

Righto back to study for a half 9 test that I thought started at half 3.... woohoo
    which minister? batt o keefe?

Advertisement