Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snow - ALL EXAMS RESUMING AS SCHEDULED AS OF 12TH JANUARY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

I have exams starting Monday. I drive and have no other option but to drive - i could get the train but i'd stillhave to drive to the train station.

I left the house this morning to drive to the supermarket 5mins drive away and it was so dangerous.

My car got stuck at traffic lights and my wheels just kept spinning - the car was bit by bit rolling backwards. It took 5 light changes and i eventually got moving - although it was through a red light and the car was slipping sideways. This experience was repeated a few times during the return journey.

I am now quite worried about Monday and making the 30 min car journey to Maynooth on the backroads after todays experience:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Spotted on facebook, true?

St. Pats postponed all exams till next thursday - come on maynooth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Won't happen,too many Judases want their 30 pieces.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭jojo86

What St.Pat's do you mean?? theres one in drumcondra and in maynooth...excuse my ignorance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'd imagine it means Drumcondra since St.Pats in Maynooth started already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

jojo86 wrote: »
    Question--has anyone already had an exam and what was the craic??was there many people in the exam??many late??
    I'd one this afternoon. Everyone who normally showed up to class was there, plus about 30 I've never seen before who are also supposedly in our class. Seemed like an almost full house. (Mind you there's only 67 registered for the class I think) Only one late and that was just 5 minutes.
    Took the long way in, buses (plural) plus a train from Drumcondra, everything went very well. Refuse to drive the normal route in weather like this. Took about twice as long to get there and home, but better that than ending up in a ditch.
    Cold as fook it is. Felt like me nose would break if I sneezed.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Cold as fook it is. Felt like me nose would break if I sneezed.

Was it the exam hall that was very cold??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

My car died on the way up to my exam this morning :( No car for my exams now. Anyone know how bad its ment to be monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

collegemum wrote: »
    Was it the exam hall that was very cold??
    No, outside. Exam room was toasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Does anyone actually know an accurate temperature for Maynooth in the last few days. Seems to me to be grand out but then I see a load of other people dressed like they're pretending to be Ernest Shackleton or someone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Does anyone actually know an accurate temperature for Maynooth in the last few days. Seems to me to be grand out but then I see a load of other people dressed like they're pretending to be Ernest Shackleton or someone

That would be me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My Dad's car had the outside temp as -4 average over the afternoon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Haha I didn't mean it in a bad way but it certainly isn't as cold out as it possibly should be. Thankfully the menacing wind of Maynooth seems to have gone fishing for the week anyway or else I'd definitely be camped inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭RoboClam

I walked across the canal today. Oh I felt so alive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

ontour wrote: »
    My car died on the way up to my exam this morning :( No car for my exams now. Anyone know how bad its ment to be monday?

So did mine. Pain in the arse.

Was -9 this morning heading up to Maynooth

ontour wrote: »

Supposed to be bad enough Monday according to those over on the weather forum:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=374

Met Eireann have this to say about Monday:
    Monday will be very cold again. It'll be a mostly cloudy day with frequent showers of sleet and snow in a strong easterly wind. Significant accumulations will occur and drifting is possible due to strong easterly winds

Snow in the East on Sunday too
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I'd be annoyed if my exams got pushed forward, better get them over and done with asap. They should really think about moving exams to before Christmas, the nasty weather always seems to come after or during Christmas. Anyway, the SU could pressure them into changing it, I'd imagine most people would rather have them before, anyone I know would anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

There was no extra people absent this morning in first year geography in main sports hall anyway. If there's going to be really bad weather Sunday they need to call off exams now if they're going to do so. Not Sunday afternoon or something. Plus this cold weather kills off any enjoyment invigilation actually has :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

They better not cancel them now after I've already completed the first exam. Which was the only exam I wanted pushed forward. :)

They should really have them before Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MTAR

Exam in 3hrs.... Cant remember what minister it was, was only half paying attention till maynooth was mentioned. Temperature was -9 yesterday morning at about 7am well thats what it said in the car. Weather out right now looks pretty cold, might have been a small bit of snow last night and there was freezing fog so roads will be slippy. Walking around the college seemed grand yesterday althought the only parts that were gritted were stairs (the ones going from engineering building towards SU).

Seem's like more colleges are postponing their tests. NUIM seem to be standing firm on their decision to keep their exams going ahead. Will likely leave a bitter taste with a lot of students if this is the case, although personally I would prefer them to go ahead at this stage (not bothered to keep on trying to study when all I eventually do is come on this or facebook)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Irishrail: Maynooth line services suspended until further notice, train failed at Phoenix Pk Station. All other routes operating.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    There was no extra people absent this morning in first year geography in main sports hall anyway. If there's going to be really bad weather Sunday they need to call off exams now if they're going to do so. Not Sunday afternoon or something. Plus this cold weather kills off any enjoyment invigilation actually has :(

my exam yesterday seemed to have very few missing too.
    Tallaght IT have text updates for the students year round - fairly good idea - but my friend got a text saying exam was cancelled an hour before his exam!

They are holding off gritting the roads for the weekend to try and have enough for next week. If the snow and ice builds up with the coming snow then there could be trouble Monday :( Monday is the last exam I want to miss.

Should be fun gettin in today its snowing and no grit, no buses here and I live up a hill some of the roads up the hill were closed off last week!!!

If people seem to be making it in good numbers then maybe they should consider postponing only Mondays or Tuesdays exams until the end of the exam period if possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

banquo wrote: »
    Irishrail: Maynooth line services suspended until further notice, train failed at Phoenix Pk Station. All other routes operating.

Ugh... I hate the bus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

I was on the train that failed this morning, needless to say didn't make it to the exam, anyone got any advice?

TheDrog wrote: »
    I was on the train that failed this morning, needless to say didn't make it to the exam, anyone got any advice?

66 Bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

didn't get back into the city until, after 9 so was never going to get out to Maynooth in time 66 bus would have been great if it went past the station, I've emailed the exams office but nobody is answering the phones

Irishrail: Maynooth line services are resuming, following an earlier train failure at Phoenix Park Station. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I hope they give good notice if they do cancel exams, I really don't want a wasted trip in some of the worst weather we've had in a long time :(

cian1500ww wrote: »
    I hope they give good notice if they do cancel exams, I really don't want a wasted trip in some of the worst weather we've had in a long time :(

Or if you make the trip and transport is cancelled while you're there?

• Advertisement

TheDrog wrote: »
    didn't get back into the city until, after 9 so was never going to get out to Maynooth in time 66 bus would have been great if it went past the station, I've emailed the exams office but nobody is answering the phones

Thats terrible - i hope you get sorted. That is why i a refusing to try the train for Mondays exam. I will have to drive at 2 mile an hour if needs be.

Advertisement