Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snow - ALL EXAMS RESUMING AS SCHEDULED AS OF 12TH JANUARY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

TheDrog wrote: »
    I was on the train that failed this morning, needless to say didn't make it to the exam, anyone got any advice?

You'll have to repeat unfortunately. But contact the exams office anyway, email is probably best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Or if you make the trip and transport is cancelled while you're there?
    I'm driving so if I can get up Sunday, I'll be there till the following Saturday. My first exam is first thing Monday morning so if they do cancel or push any forward it will more than likely be one of them. Just don't want to have to drive up tomorrow only to find my exam's been changed and I could have avoided going up on Sunday which will more than likely be a curse of a day for driving :(

EDIT: Not looking good, hey:
    The army will move into Co Leitrim today to help the County Council deal with the consequences of the extreme weather conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MTAR

Exams now have to be cancled.. the ammount of people that missed tests today is shocking and if the college dont postpone them its a sham end of story!

This is coming from someone who turned up and otherwise wouldnt want the tests to be postponed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

MTAR wrote: »
    Exams now have to be cancled.. the ammount of people that missed tests today is shocking and if the college dont postpone them its a sham end of story!

This is coming from someone who turned up and otherwise wouldnt want the tests to be postponed

The train being cancelled mid journey must have had something to do with it. Were there lots of students missing?? How was your journey today??

MTAR wrote: »

+1 I really don't want them to be cancelled but I really don't want to travel in this weather :(

How many was missing ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

yeh, i do think that once a usually reliable form of public transport is failing to get peple in on time then they should be postponed- like other colleges- although i wanted them to be postponed from the get- go, i think now it really is time because most people used reliable trains as a reason for them to go ahead.
    I feel sorry for anyone who made the effort to get the train and still missed their exam- i guess you should just focus on any other exams you have ahead of you and dont let one misfortune mess up the rest of them if they do go ahead.

If the college recieves advice that the weather is only going to disimprove before Monday then some exams should be cancelled I reckon at this stage. The extreme temperatures make already unreliable trains even more unreliable I'd imagine and if they're not operating effeciently enough then it calls into question the ability of the majority of students to get to exams safely. On the other hand, CIE is a shambles and this could happen in the summer too with a train breaking down so who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

train broke down because pipes in the brakes froze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

well i think its meant to get worse from monday- iirc, so its not looking good for commuters if they dont postpone them. thank god ive somewhere to stay and a babysitter for the two weeks.

TheDrog wrote: »
    train broke down because pipes in the brakes froze

Ugh, crap. Really feel for you. Cause at least if you're on a bus that's broken down you can get off but you're trapped on a train. Must have been frustrating as hell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 MTAR

My journey was grand but I live in Maynooth x) By the end of the exam I would say the hall was 75% full but I also heard that the other halls had similar or worse absences. By the time I left my exam at 11 there was around another inch of snow outside.... I know 2 inches isnt much but the roads home didnt seem to be gritted and I went sideways round one corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Plattsy

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Ugh, crap. Really feel for you. Cause at least if you're on a bus that's broken down you can get off but you're trapped on a train. Must have been frustrating as hell!

I was also on that train. At around 8:30 the bus rolled up, and despite all appearances of going to Maynooth, ended its circuit at O'Connell St at around 9:15 or so. Of course by that time it was rather pointless to wait around for a 66 that may or may not arrive. By the time I got down to St Stephen's Green it was too late.

I eventually saw the funny side. I must say it was quite nice to walk around a depopulated Dublin city centre. And it gives me a perverse sense of comfort that I wasn't the only one in this predicament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I'm just happy that my exams aren't starting till tuesday and hopefully this will give time for the weather to improve as:

a) an awful lot of people in my first exam (which is music) are commuters and i'm reckoning a 50 percent absence if it gets worse weather wise

b) there is as much chance of the exams being pushed back as there is of me passing law

oh and after consultation (failed attempt at professionalism) with some people, we deduced the minister in question must be batt o keefe as surely only he is the relevant minister who can affect the closing of the college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'm don't have any exams until thursday but am heading up today. Not taking any chances.

Very disappointing to hear about people missing exams due to the weather conditions. The forecast is that it's only going to deteriorate in the coming days too. I honestly think the exams should DEFINITELY be postponed at this stage. I think it's disgraceful that they haven't to be honest, especially in the light of DIT and Pat's postponing theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Snow starting to make me grumpy. I'm finding it hard to study at home but don't want to go for my usual all day exam crams in the library now because of the buses/trains being all over the shop. Really running out of money for taxis.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tuborg

One of security is telling people that exams are cancelled for monday and an announcement will be made later. Tuesday will be reviewed once the big snow hits tomorrow.

NUI Maynooth have announced that exams scheduled for Monday 11 January have been moved to Friday 22 January.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0109/live_weather_transport_updates_saturday.html

I reccomend that anyone who missed their exam due to the train breaking down holds onto their train ticket etc as proof that this was the reason for missing the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭astroguy

Great... was supposed to be finished all my exams on wednesday... now 9 days later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

cian1500ww wrote: »
    NUI Maynooth have announced that exams scheduled for Monday 11 January have been moved to Friday 22 January.

Great, all the moaners got what they wanted. To reiterate what every sensible person has said, we knew this weather was coming, we knew we had exams, people should have made a conscious effort to be down in Maynooth early if you live in Maynooth, or to make alternative arrangements if you rely on public transport.

• Advertisement

Thank god they announced that early, saves me having to travel till Tuesday :) One day longer to get finished though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Great, all the moaners got what they wanted. To reiterate what every sensible person has said, we knew this weather was coming, we knew we had exams, people should have made a conscious effort to be down in Maynooth early if you live in Maynooth, or to make alternative arrangements if you rely on public transport.

Nobody wants to feel responsible for an accident either though, if one was to happen.

I think it makes sense.

As I said earlier it wasn't possible for me to get to Maynooth till tomorrow, you must think that all students have nothing to do but sit on their arses while college isn't on, most of us do have commitments outside college.

As warned earlier, nobody is to get into sniping or sarcastic comments on here. This isn't aimed at anyone...just a reminder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

For some of us public transport IS the alternative arrangement.

Just cos you live in Maynooth:rolleyes:

You obviously haven't experienced trying to get around via car or broken down trains - deal with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Lucky bastards having their exam on the Monday then, more study time for them.... joke!

Holsten wrote: »
    Lucky bastards having their exam on the Monday then, more study time for them.... joke!

How is that a joke??? Anyone who has an exam on Thursday 21st has more time to study - joke :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

As I said earlier it wasn't possible for me to get to Maynooth till tomorrow, you must think that all students have nothing to do but sit on their arses while college isn't on, most of us do have commitments outside college.

But this isn't just another week of semester. This is examination time, where many students full attention is focused on their exams. (Obviously students with children/other stuff have that too, but you know what I mean)

No need to be so bloody smart, I, for one, haven't been "sitting on my arse" all week, I've been working bloody hard on essays and studying so before accusing me of making presumptions about other students, don't go making them yourself. I don't have exams until next Saturday, by which time I hope the weather has let up a bit, but I have essays that need to be handed in next week and I, as a commuter, have made alternative plans to get up to Maynooth because the roads are so bad.

My point in my previous post was that there were about 5 facebook groups set up to cancel exams, and although I'm sure 70% of students genuinley can't make it in, there is a prominent minority (some of these I am friends with) who are using the snow as an excuse to skip exams. People could have been finished exams on Wednesday (like astroguy said) and now they have to wait an extra nine days to do one poxy exam because Maynooth decide now, after the exams have already started, to postpone them. The right thing to do should have been an "all or nothing" approach. Either have the exams or don't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Any word on the NUIM website? I won't believe it until I see it there or get an email.

Advertisement