Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLIS (Masters in Library and Information Studies)

Options
  • 06-01-2010 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking about doing this course in September. Can anyone tell me what it's like?

Thanks,

Sara!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Hi,

I'm thinking about doing this course in September. Can anyone tell me what it's like?

Thanks,

Sara!!!

Hey I did it last year. It is not too difficult but it is a lot of work. It is more of a test of endurance than anything really. I did have the benefit of being in UCD for my degree and doing Info Studies as one of my subjects. It does have the reputation as being an easy subject, but that would be more the modules in 1st year that anybody in UCD can take as an option. In general most people (myself included) thought it lacked practical aspects that librarians would need in their job. The people that wanted to become librarians said there was too much of a focus on the academic info studies side, and the academic people doing MAs said it focused too much on libraries. So really the modules are a bit stuck in the middle of the road, keeping nobody happy :D

But it was enjoyable enough, I met lots of good friends and it is all about getting the qualification at the end of the day. There are some changes to the department this year (new head of school joined) so there could be some differences to my experience, especially next year when she has had a year to assess everything. There have been a few similar posts here over the last year so if you search for MLIS on the boards search engine you will get a few more replies from before.

Overall I am glad I did it. I really wanted to work in libraries. If you have no library experience make sure to arrange your experience soon. Not sure if that answers your question, but feel free to ask any other specific ones you have and I'll try to answer them!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Thanks very much for your reply. I'm actually doing my work experience now and really enjoying it! You've finished the course, so what's it like to find jobs? (the important question!!!!) :)

Not great really. The people who didn't already have a job waiting for them are finding it tough. One of my biggest gripes was the large class size. We had about 70-80 when you add MLIS and GradDips together so thats a lot of people for not that many jobs given everything going on at the minute. Seemingly Canada is one of the few places still hiring regularly.

Realistically the chances of getting a public library position is fairly slim for the time being. Though it will be 2011/2012 when you graduate so it may be different then. Your best bet is to look in private sector libraries like in law firms, companies etc. Sorry for the negative answer but the truth is it is very tough!

But if you are like me, I will put up with that because long-term I know I want to end up in a public or academic library, so I don't mind a few years getting any job I can. As long as it is information related in some shape or form I see it as being good experience.

Thanks for that. I dont know anyone doing the course so this is the only place I can ask! Any information, whether good or bad, is gratefully received. I'd rather know all the gory details! :) It'll be 2011 when I graduate, hopefully, but I am prepared to bugger off to get a job, I'd probably prefer it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

and the academic people doing MAs said it focused too much on libraries.

You said it brother. ;) It doesn't help that the department are cutting back on the modules relevant to the MA either. Alas, I just keep telling myself that I signed up to do my thesis on an area that really interests me, so I guess that will keep me content.

To answer your question OP, I'm doing the MA this year so I'm sharing a lot of time with the MLIS students. From what I gather it is a very demanding course, practically and academically speaking. You'll be doing a lot of collaboration with other students too so it would be good for you if you had good interpersonal skills.

That being said, one would expect any Masters to be difficult so don't worry. Most of the students seem to enjoy it and as far as I'm concerned the practical element added to the course has been a success because there's nothing like knowing you are actually learning something that you can use in real life.

As for me, I think I'm going to demand that I'm awarded with the MLIS, christ knows that I'm basically doing the course even though I signed up for the MA. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    You said it brother. ;) It doesn't help that the department are cutting back on the modules relevant to the MA either. Alas, I just keep telling myself that I signed up to do my thesis on an area that really interests me, so I guess that will keep me content.

:

Interesting. Which modules have they dropped? When I did it I thought they had a pretty decent choice in that respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Interesting. Which modules have they dropped? When I did it I thought they had a pretty decent choice in that respect.

They dropped Legal Information from Semester 1, and Publishing Practice has gotten the chop from Semester 2. Basically, my modules are made up of MLIS modules (I wouldn't mind, but they only give us a very limited choice of which MLIS modules we can pick), and modules from the Info Studies degree that I hadn't picked when doing the actual degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭PrinceMax

Interesting. I've also applied. I only have 6 weeks' work experience though. Did anyone get in with this much? I know it is the bare minimum? Also, when I was in Trinity, the Library used to employ students to do shelving for 10 euro an hour. Is it the same in UCD? Basically, does doing the MLIS guarantee some part-time work in the college library? I'm just trying to figure how I'll finance it, if I'm accepted.

Yeah plenty only had 6 weeks last year, I assume its still the same. Class sizes are going up in UCD as well, not down so its easier to get in. I guess they figure they can do with more people paying them 5 grand :D

Part time work was there for a handful of people last year but it was not connected to the course. Not everybody that had the shelving jobs were doing the MLIS or GradDip either. I was told this year that there was no chance of getting any part time work in the library due to cutbacks. It might be different next year but I wouldn't bank on it. Better to try bookshops etc

I only have the 6 weeks work experience too. I think it's enough cos they'd ask us to have more if they wanted us to. Have you applied on line? What did you think of the online application process? I'm trying to fill it in at the moment.

I don't know about doing part time work in the college libraries. I know the county librarian who I'm working with worked part time in DCU when she was doing hers. I was thinking about how I was going to finance it myself. €10 an hour is very decent.

• Advertisement

Yeah. The online application process was pretty straight forward. Worried that I didn't say enough though. Hopefully there will be a few library shelving jobs this year. What were the hours like last year, Parker? Could you perhaps post what your timetable was? I'd love to get more of an indication as to what it is like. Is it mostly lectures or seminars?

Oh, and I submitted my application last week. How long in general to hear back?

Yeah not saying enough is my biggest fear too. Oh well, we can only put in as much as we think is relevant.

I had about 12 or 13 hours per week, basically the same as doing a subject in an Arts degree (Information studies is a subject in an Arts degree fyi :D) I don't have the exact timetable to hand at the minute but 4 hours a day would be the maximum class time, often below that. I even had Wednesday off in semester 1.

You have to do 60 credits worth of classes, some are worth 5, some 7.5. So the handiest way to do that would be 30 per semester. Typically that means you will be doing 5 or 6 modules. All modules had 2 hours class time per week which are lectures. Seminars are not usually held for the classes, well not for us anyway!

Thanks for all your advice and information Parker! Nice to hear the details from someone who's just finished the course!

Can anyone who has done this course before tell me if there are modules on digitization and digital libraries? Also, does archives come into it? I understand there are dedicated archives courses, but does the MLIS touch on it?

Yeah we had a digital libraries module last year. The lecturer has since retired so I don't know who does it now, but they will have one. There is a module MLIS and Grad Dips can take in Archives that is taken by a lecturer from the archiving department. There will be archiving students in there too but SILS students are graded differently. It will give a basic knowledge of archiving, if that is all you want to know.

Thanks so much for the info.
    I'm liking the sound of this more and more. I'm worried because I haven't heard back yet. When are offers sent out? My application is in a few weeks.

I was accepted in the summer, check when the deadline for applications is this year. Chances are you wont here back from them until then

PrinceMax wrote: »
    I'm liking the sound of this more and more. I'm worried because I haven't heard back yet. When are offers sent out? My application is in a few weeks.

Not to rain on your parade either, but whilst the eventual job of librarian is something to look forward to, there will be plenty of times in the modules when you are frustrated and wondering what point there is to what you are doing. So some modules sound good, but are often not so. Most 12 week modules suffer from that problem, so it is not just a SILS thing.

Lots of people (myself included) saw a lot of the course content as irrelevant, whether you wanted to end up as an academic or like me, as a librarian. So I recommend it overall, but with plenty of cautions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

I only have the 6 weeks work experience too. I think it's enough cos they'd ask us to have more if they wanted us to.

The more experience you have the better, jobs in this area are very difficult to come by in Ireland at the moment. When you complete the course if you only have the bare minimum work experience you are competing against some of your classmates who have a couple of years library assistant experience, and people like myself who have worked on contract as a librarian for the last two years, plus 3 years as a library assistant and 4 years as a bookseller!

With the public sector recruitment ban here at the minute it's terrible looking for work in this area - but things will have to change (fingers crossed!). And it is a great job.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 marge2007

Hi, I was just wondering, has anyone got an offer for this course yet? Diploma or MA.

Marge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Can anyone who has done this course before tell me if there are modules on digitization and digital libraries? Also, does archives come into it? I understand there are dedicated archives courses, but does the MLIS touch on it?

Yes there is a module on digital libraries, doesnt focus specifically on digitisation more on projects but still worth a look. archives courses arent part of the MLIS they're a different ball game, have a look at the school of history & archives website

I heard back early april, it could be different this year though.

Yes there is a module on digital libraries, doesnt focus specifically on digitisation more on projects but still worth a look. archives courses arent part of the MLIS they're a different ball game, have a look at the school of history & archives website

We did a module on archives last year, did they stop MLIS and grad dips doing that? Would be surprised if they did that as people from my class even went so far as to have the archives lecturer as a supervisor.

We did a module on archives last year, did they stop MLIS and grad dips doing that? Would be surprised if they did that as people from my class even went so far as to have the archives lecturer as a supervisor.

I'm not sure but I'll check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Impassive

I'm interested in this course, at a slightly earlier stage of commitment though, given that I'm still just researching it and have yet to apply. I don't have any experience in a library though, and no idea how to go about getting that. It says on the site that you can apply and get the experience afterwards, but if everybody else applying has experience that doesn't give me much of a shot... hmm...

How did other people here get their work experience? Do the public libraries take on people on a temporary basis? Or do I just go to academic libraries and ask if they'll let me in? :confused: Thanks.

Hi,

I know I posted this already, but I'm just wondering, did anyone get an offer for this course yet?

Yes. I got one about two weeks ago.

• Advertisement

That's great news PrinceMax. You must be pleased! :) I got accepted to the Diploma. Are you doing the MA or the Diploma?

Advertisement