Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLIS (Masters in Library and Information Studies)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

i've just received an email from UCD saying that my offer is still dependent on receiving my original transcripts?! they confirmed my acceptance ages ago so i'm a bit annoyed and a little worried!

can someone clarify for me how to obtain "original" transcripts? i went to my last college and paid to get the transcripts i sent to UCD, and just assumed those were original. sorry i know this is a bit off topic!

They probably haven't seen the originals yet. Bring them along with you on the first day of Registration to the Student desk and that will be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

I got the same email :/

But then again, I only scanned and uploaded them, I thought this was okay??? Really confused!! :confused:

The thinking is that scanned documents can be copied. Present the originals for verification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Stephanie R

Hi everyone,

Great thread. Very informative. My name is stephanie and I'm also going to do the MLIS in September- just over two weeks time :p!
    Mine was a late decision to enroll so I'm playing catch up. I've spent ages today reading all the module descriptors, trying to decide which to do as we've to register on line on Sept 3 (8 days time!). Only to finally discover that we really don't have that much choice.

We've to do the thesis (30 credits), two core subjects (20 credits), the two research (15 credits), and one of each in: IT, Info retrieval and Management (15), leaving only 10 credits to choose from! Obviously there is choice within the last three, but if the IT modules are not in the computer science department do they still count? I would consider Web Publishing as an information technology module, do you?

I haven't seen the time table, so that might cause further crisis with the choices :D! How can we access this? I logged into the SIS with my new ID and dob but it just says I'm not registered for any course; although all my personal details are there. Anybody else get this? I also got the email about the transcripts, so posted them up to Dublin today (we say 'up to Dublin' from Galway :)).

I'm not panicking, just feel maybe I'm missing out on some information... lol

Thanks for reading

While you have to confirm your registration to the University, you will have about two weeks from the date the course starts to confirm module choices. You'll have lots of time, don't worry!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mikeymoloney

Does anyone know of a good place in Dublin to get library work experience? I've already got a couple weeks in DBS, which was very good. Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 cazzywazzy

Hi everyone!

Congrats to all who are starting this course in september. I would love to be able to do this course however at present it looks like its not going to be a reality for me. I only obtained a third class honours degree in college so am without the 2.2 minimum entry requirement.

Just wondering does anyone know someone who managed to get in with this? I plan to spend the next year doing library work experience in the hope with sufficient work experience behind me i may be allowed entry. Ive emailed the college asking is there anything i can be doing over the next year to boost my chances of success but still waiting on a response.

I'm so disheartened cos i would absolutely love to do this course and just missed out on the 2.2. If anyone has any ideas or knows of any cases where they would consider entry pls let me know id appreciate it. If i got a years work experience would that be enuf? I was offered a place in aberdeen to do a masters in information and library studies but the modules on offer in UCD are much more appealing and interesting.

Thanks guys!

Just received that email again about the original transcripts...

Just to confirm, what exactly are the transcripts..is that the breakdown of results that were uploaded or the actual award itself given at graduation! Apologies if it sounds like a stupid question but I don't want to land up with the wrong documents!

Thanks in advance!

It means the breakdown of results or the parchment you received, both are good.

Thanks Walls :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 John_library

Hi Stephanie, you should have got a copy of the timetable e-mailed out to you. Give the info studies dept a call - they should be able to sort you out!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is looking forward to starting the course! I know I am. Just a quick question, does anyone know how many are usually enrolled in the full time MLIS?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is looking forward to starting the course! I know I am. Just a quick question, does anyone know how many are usually enrolled in the full time MLIS?

Thanks

Between 50 and 70 normally along with grad dips.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

ComaWhite wrote: »
    Just received that email again about the original transcripts...

Just to confirm, what exactly are the transcripts..is that the breakdown of results that were uploaded or the actual award itself given at graduation! Apologies if it sounds like a stupid question but I don't want to land up with the wrong documents!

Thanks in advance!

i got the email again too, but realised what the problem is for me anyway - the transcripts I sent with my application were in an envelope, but not sealed, but I have a sealed copy which i'm going to drop to the student desk tomorrow.
    i tried to pay online [fees need to be paid by the fifth, right?] and it didn't say how much to pay -probably because my offer is technically still 'conditional'. i think once i get my transcripts in, i should be able to pay then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 John_library

i got the email again too, but realised what the problem is for me anyway - the transcripts I sent with my application were in an envelope, but not sealed, but I have a sealed copy which i'm going to drop to the student desk tomorrow.
    i tried to pay online [fees need to be paid by the fifth, right?] and it didn't say how much to pay -probably because my offer is technically still 'conditional'. i think once i get my transcripts in, i should be able to pay then.

I also got one of these e-mails, saying that they never received my transcripts, even though I handed the originals in to the Online Apps dept in the Tierney Building as instructed.

E-mail says they they have not received the transcripts. Shame they wouldn't accept photocopies because it looks like they may have lost the originals.

Has anyone else paid their fees yet? I was under the impression we had to pay our fees by September 5th, but when I log into SISweb, i have no 'outstanding charge' to pay.
    I handed in a sealed copy of my transcripts yesterday to the Student Desk so am hoping to get an email properly confirming my acceptance [again!] soon.

I am slightly worried that either I will have to pay some kind of fine for not paying by the fifth, when they won't let me, or that i will face a delay in choosing modules and not get my choices!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 marge2007

I think that you pay your fees after you register, but you can choose to pay before hand. Once you register I imagine the amount owed will automatically be up on your SIS account.

I was talking to Claire in the Information Studies Dept and she told me to attend the different classes before picking my modules, so as to get a better feel for the modules and make a better choice. I would say that you would be better off ringing Claire and speaking to her about any worries you have.

Marge

marge2007 wrote: »
    I think that you pay your fees after you register, but you can choose to pay before hand. Once you register I imagine the amount owed will automatically be up on your SIS account.

I was talking to Claire in the Information Studies Dept and she told me to attend the different classes before picking my modules, so as to get a better feel for the modules and make a better choice. I would say that you would be better off ringing Claire and speaking to her about any worries you have.

Marge

Whilst Claire is brilliant, there is lots and lots of information on the UCD website answering some of the above questions. The following page has the dates when everybody has to pay their fees by. Most questions can be answered by a section of the website. If in doubt just google!

So to answer vicecream, here are the dates you have to pay by.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/fee_payment_dates.htm
    Graduates on ‘whole year’ / trimester programmes e.g. research, taught masters etc. students
    First installment: Sunday, 12 September 2010
    Second installment: Monday, 31 January 2011
    Third installment: Friday 13 May 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Does anyone know what time tomorrow we can register from? I have a fairly good idea what courses I want and the trauma of Arts registration has me eager to make my choices quickly...

passive wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time tomorrow we can register from? I have a fairly good idea what courses I want and the trauma of Arts registration has me eager to make my choices quickly...

There is zero worry of you not getting the classes you want. There will be plenty of time to sample them all in the first week and make your choice. Arts students are competing with thousands of others, you will be up against 50 or 60. There will be space for everybody.

Timewise it will be early morning. No exact time given as if they did, everybody would log on at once and crash the system. So just check from around 8am onwards if you want to do it early.

• Advertisement

There is zero worry of you not getting the classes you want. There will be plenty of time to sample them all in the first week and make your choice. Arts students are competing with thousands of others, you will be up against 50 or 60. There will be space for everybody.

Timewise it will be early morning. No exact time given as if they did, everybody would log on at once and crash the system. So just check from around 8am onwards if you want to do it early.

Thanks, that's really reassuring. It's not open yet so I'll just go have my breakfast and relax a bit. =)

I've heard that some folks are having problems accessing Modules, but it seems they will be up and running very soon, and certainly by this afternoon.

Students have until the 24th September in any case, so please don't worry!

Hey all,

Just in the middle of registering for modules! I was looking at some of the computer modules to see which ones to pick, maybe I'm looking at the times wrong, but some of the classes seem to run very late into the evening, I'm talking 7pm-9pm, is this correct? I really want to do the forensics module, but 9pm is a little late!

Can anyone confirm this??

Hey all,

Just in the middle of registering for modules! I was looking at some of the computer modules to see which ones to pick, maybe I'm looking at the times wrong, but some of the classes seem to run very late into the evening, I'm talking 7pm-9pm, is this correct? I really want to do the forensics module, but 9pm is a little late!

Can anyone confirm this??

Still not open for me =/

A lot of the classes that I want to do are full :(

A lot of the classes that I want to do are full :(

I doubt they are actually full, it is probably just an error on SIS. Check with the department if they are still up as full on Monday. I'd be extremely surprised if they were full. Normally everybody tries out all classes for the first week.

yeah, one i wanted is full too :( i'll call them about it on monday though i suppose. i feel like they should have warned us that certain ones could fill up so quickly if that's the case!

"Registration for 2010/11 is not available for you at this point.

If your programme's registration has begun and you still see this screen it may mean that the post-admissions processing of your record is not complete. New registrations are released once a day. Please check again later."

:(

I agree vice... I didn't think that they'd fill up because there are so few of us! I'm stuck doing modules that I really REALLY don't want to do!

Ugh, soooo disappointed :(

• Advertisement

hopefully parker kent is right about it being a glitch! and maybe if there is enough demand [and it looks like there is] they will increase class sizes or hold an extra one? i particularly wanted to do Children's Lit and Information Studies Special Topics.

Advertisement