Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLIS (Masters in Library and Information Studies)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

Same as, I wanted to do Childrens Lit, Digital Media and the HR module I was left with was my last choice! Nearly all my choices were gone by the time I was registering, around 11/12 o clock. I really hope it is a glitch, very disheartening to go to classes that I'm not 100% interested in...

Hopefully it works out!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

you mean you couldnt register for digi media? i just registered for it now[like a minute ago] -the tuesday class was unfortunately full, but the friday one isn't.

which IT modules are you taking? is it just me or does Investigative Techniques look suuuuper interesting, but not very IT based or relevant to LIS?!
    i'm either doing that or digital libraries or web publishing i think... though i dont even have basic HTML skills, so not sure if web publishing would be too advanced for me.
    actually..have just chosen digital libraries. wish Investigative Techniques was only 5 credits because i'd like to take it, but if i do i won't have enough credits left to take other classes.
    it says we're encouraged to take more than one, but if i took two i liked it would be 15 credits and mean missing out on other classes i really want. hmmm.

also, for management I've chosen Management for Info Professionals, though I am tempted by Leadership & Change management.

i had chosen Profession Issues in Lib and Info careers, but might drop it for Weaving the Web or Info Behaviour.

I suppose in the first few weeks after we attend classes we can make more informed choices, but the problem is whether it will be too late if classes are full already.

wow, i'm an eejit! I didn't know that there was a Friday class! I just assumed! Just registered for it there...relieved!

I'm taking the Computer Forensics Foundations module, I find that stuff really interesting, but I'm not sure about the time though, I'm in Maynooth so I dunno how getting home at 9pm will be like, plus I work in a nightclub (which I'm probably gunna have to give up during the week by the looks of things!)

My HR module is the Leadership and Change, I would have preferred another but there seems to be some weird clash with one of the core modules!

They way that I'm trying to work it is to register for the ones that I think I'll find interesting so I'll have the place, then sit in on others, so if I change my mind and the class has places, it won't be so much of a letdown!

God, registration fries my brain!!

yeah i'm the same, registering for the ones i find most interesting, just in case!
    most excited about Cybersoc and Digi publishing.

A lot of the computer ones sound daunting to me. I have just registered for Digital Libraries because it sounds like it would be super relevant for jobs, but on further inspection it appears it is intended "for professional librarians on MLIS, GradDipLIS or as an occasional module for professionally qualified librarians who wish to update their technical expertise" so I'm not altogether sure I'll be able to take it. Might switch to Investigative Techniques after all, and have to knock Professional Issues in Lib/Info Careers off the bill...

I wonder if you have done Research Skills 1 & 2 before, you can choose something else instead?! it just seems like such a waste of credits!

Jeez i dunno! Maybe email and ask or something? You never know tho, it could be different to what you've already done! Did you do the Library and Info undergrad?

Yep, I totally agree, the IT ones do sound pretty daunting, but hopefully because of the class numbers there will be more interaction between lecturers and students!

• Advertisement

Nope, my undergrad was arts, and the Research courses were for psychology, but they were pretty intense! I doubt it's allowed but yeah i might ask about it anyway!

I'm dropping Professional Issues for Teaching Librarian, because it has been recommended to me by a few different people and also, we have the lecturer for Prof Issues for four other modules, and i'd like to switch it up a bit.

Also, think I will take Web Publishing after all, someone i know who did the course years ago just told me one of her biggest regrets was not taking a class with Judith Wusteman, and that's sold me!

i really wish ratemyprofessor.com had irish universities on it [it has england, scotland and wales but not ireland!] -it was really helpful when choosing classes in the US, lecturers have such a huge impact on whether a class is great or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 marge2007

I was just wondering, is it just me or are some of the modules that were mentioned on the timetable sent out by Claire a month or so ago different to the ones offered during modular registration now? For instance I don't see the module Finding Information in Everyday Contexts.

Marge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

i'm either doing that or digital libraries or web publishing i think... though i dont even have basic HTML skills, so not sure if web publishing would be too advanced for me.

It is a basic HTML course, it is designed for people with no previous knowledge.

Plus as I keep saying, I am pretty sure there will not be an issue getting into any classes. Some people audited classes in 2008/9 so there was space for more than the people registered for the modules.

A lot of the computer ones sound daunting to me. I have just registered for Digital Libraries because it sounds like it would be super relevant for jobs, but on further inspection it appears it is intended "for professional librarians on MLIS, GradDipLIS or as an occasional module for professionally qualified librarians who wish to update their technical expertise" so I'm not altogether sure I'll be able to take it. Might switch to Investigative Techniques after all, and have to knock Professional Issues in Lib/Info Careers off the bill...

Why would that rule you out? You are doing the MLIS, it is specifically for your class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭30kmph

I can't figure out for the life of me which subjects to pick. Anyone else's head completely melted by this?

Does anyone know much about the capstone v the thesis? What is the capstone exactly? :confused:

• Advertisement

Why would that rule you out? You are doing the MLIS, it is specifically for your class.

I think I misunderstood, the way it was phrased I thought it was only going to be available to professional librarians ... now that I read over it, that seems silly alright! Thanks for pointing it out, I think will take it after all then! Ah too many interesting sounding classes, not enough credits! I want to take weaving the web too...

30kmph, the Capstone Project seems to be a collaborative effort, i think students work in small groups and must do a group presentation and produce a report.
    i'm not sure how id feel about undertaking groupwork for such a big part of my degree, group work can be a bit risky! but mostly, I just think I'd rather do my thesis on whatever i want, rather than having to agree on a common topic, but i'm sure we'll find out more about it in the first few weeks.

Hi Everyone

Does anyone have trouble selecting Political Information and Media for registration?

I don't know if anyone is following this thread still but I'm curious, has everyone finished registering their modules?

Hi Marge,
    I haven't finished completely, I'm going to sit in on some computer classes and see what interests me most.

Hi 30kmph,

are you happy with the modules you have chosen so far? I really would love to do the Children's Literature and the Special Research. I wonder will they make some extra places on them. I am not sure about the computer modules, they seem very technical. What have you chosen from them?

I'm the same Marge, I'm dying to do the childrens lit module, I really really hope spaces open up!

Does anyone know if the core modules show up on the timetable? Mine is looking a little bare :/

ComaWhite wrote: »
    I'm the same Marge, I'm dying to do the childrens lit module, I really really hope spaces open up!

Does anyone know if the core modules show up on the timetable? Mine is looking a little bare :/

Are you talking about the calendar on SIS? Whatever classes you are in show up on the calendar. Think I said it a long time ago in this thread, but doing the MLIS you should expect to do around 12-15 hours a week.

If you want to take Children's Lit, contact the school and they may open up extra spaces. If not, others may drop out at some stage.

I asked Claire about the extra spaces and a couple of other things, and she said she'd get back to me. I'm hoping there will be a few extra places.

The Political Info and Media won't let me choose it because you have to have completed a level 2 course prior, but it looks very interesting.

I think I'll ask her at Orientation because it would be unfair to not have a chance of doing any available module you want after paying so much for the year.

I actually feel very aprehensive about starting on Monday.

Are you talking about the calendar on SIS? Whatever classes you are in show up on the calendar. Think I said it a long time ago in this thread, but doing the MLIS you should expect to do around 12-15 hours a week.

If you want to take Children's Lit, contact the school and they may open up extra spaces. If not, others may drop out at some stage.

Ah grand so, I was worried that I wasn't registered for them all!

@Marge

I'm just really really nervous! I'm sure everything will go fine though! :)

ComaWhite wrote: »
    Ah grand so, I was worried that I wasn't registered for them all!)

Just count how many classes you have on your calendar, they should match up. Check the codes and see if anything is missing. Have you picked everything you are meant to pick? Are the side messages about core/option modules in red or green? Make sure your credits add up. You should be at 90 credits.

If you have done all of that, you are OK.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm sure all will go well. Just hard not to be nervous. I haven't all my credits, have only 47.5 so far, I only need 60 credits for the diploma though.

Everything will probably be cleared up tomorrow. We only have the orientation at 10.00 and then theres nothing else, is that right? I would like to get my student card and check out the library.

can anyone explain where room 107 is? i thought the SILS was in the library building, but when i went in there last week, there didnt seem to be a room 107.

for people taking Cybersoc, there is also a seminar from 2-4 in the Quinn Building, room 011, in place of a first lecture.

i'm still hoping for Special Topics to open up again. Marge, you're right -i feel like considering the large amount of money we are all paying, we should be able to take whichever classes we please, especially seeing as we were not told we needed to pick modules quickly before they fill up!
    i wanted to do Children's Lit until i saw it's assessed on one 5,000 word essay -that has put me off.

i'm still quite intrigued about this Investigative Techniques class...it's listed as an IT module but it doesnt sound like one.

can anyone explain where room 107 is? i thought the SILS was in the library building, but when i went in there last week, there didnt seem to be a room 107.

If you are standing at the main entrance to the library building(i.e outside), walk past the book shop and go through the next set of doors on the left hand side. The careers office will be there too. There is a stairs on the right hand side, go up these stairs and that will bring you into SILS. 107 is the only classroom up there. The rest are offices so you should find it pretty easily.

Just count how many classes you have on your calendar, they should match up. Check the codes and see if anything is missing. Have you picked everything you are meant to pick? Are the side messages about core/option modules in red or green? Make sure your credits add up. You should be at 90 credits.

If you have done all of that, you are OK.

Everything seems to be fine, the side messages are green and I appear to have 90 credits *sigh of relief*!

I've somehow managed, however, to pick modules that take place over two days.... Is anyone else timetable like this? I'm doing COMP40800 though, which is the three hour, year round lecture that takes place in the evenings! Anyone else doing it?

Well good luck everybody tomorrow! My year on the MLIS was one of the best of my life for many reasons so I hope you all have similar years.

I'm still around UCD these days working for the man, so I may unknowingly run (or I may already have) into you all at some stage!

Hey all, I hope today went well for everyone :)

Just a quick question, is anyone doing the Computer Forensics Foundations module that runs tomorrow evening? I havent heard anyone really mention it, so Im hoping that I'm not all on my lonesome!

I also have a break of nearly seven hours between lectures! I commute from Maynooth so I can't really head home! Any suggestions on how to fill my time?

wowza comawhite, seven hours? maybe join the gym.. that or find somehwere you can nap on campus!

i'm more confused about modules after today than ever. Lee Komito threw me by saying Cybersoc was going to be more tech-y than Weaving the Web. I think those both sounded interesting from their descriptions but now I'm thinking the more practical classes would probably be of more value to me when I'm looking for a job. I'm definitely doing 'creating and publishing digimedia', and i'm definitely doing 'management for info professionals'.
    I'm also down for Digital Libraries and Teaching Librarian, both of which were highly recommended to me from people who have done the MLIS in UCD or elsewhere, but now i'm thinking of giving up Cybersoc for Web Publishing...or Professional Issues... i do enjoy the sociology aspect but maybe i'd be better off getting skills for the workplace?!

also, if anyone has registered for investigative techniques or web publishing, can you tell me what rooms they are held in? thanks!

wowza comawhite, seven hours? maybe join the gym.. that or find somehwere you can nap on campus!

lol, stop... I'd literally have time to come back to Maynooth, have a nap there and go back in for seven! It'll be grand once I get my student card sorted, I'll have plenty of time to hang out in the library then!

Ah the joys of it all!

I also found myself more interested in the technical subjects today! I'm registered for one or two, but I'm gunna sit in on some other the others before I make my mind up!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

Hey everyone!

I'm hoping to start this course next September. I asked Claire when was the application process opening and she said the first week in November. I was just wondeing if anyone has any tips about how to fill in the application form or if there is anything I should remember to put in.

I'm sorted for my work experience. At the moment I've organized a month in a public library, 6 months in a private library and 3 weeks in an academic library. Can't wait to start these jobs!:D

Another thing I'm trying to figure out is where I should live in Dublin if I get accepted? Should I go for on campus accomodation or should I live in the areas around UCD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

I'm sorted for my work experience. At the moment I've organized a month in a public library, 6 months in a private library and 3 weeks in an academic library.

Out of interest, are all of these unpaid?

Advertisement